PDA

View Full Version : Ward - Cast Steel

Alan Turner
03-16-2004, 1:13 PM
I have a new, to me, chisel, a crank neck, that says "WARD Cast Steel".
Does anyone have any comments on this brand? Good steel? Thax.
Alan

James Carmichael
03-16-2004, 3:08 PM
I have a new, to me, chisel, a crank neck, that says "WARD Cast Steel".
Does anyone have any comments on this brand? Good steel? Thax.
Alan

Interesting, I have my Grandfather's prewar #5 plane that has "Wards Master" stamped on the lever cap. I see these on Ebay occaisionally and the common assumption is that it is a Montgomery Ward's tool, but I am not so sure.

Mark Singer
03-16-2004, 3:33 PM
Alan,
Most of the older saws...from Shefield were "cast steel" . I don't know what the hardness was , but as you know they are believed to be far better than the newer ones.

Roger Bell
03-18-2004, 8:16 PM
Ward was an English firm which made chisels and plane irons, among other items, in the late 19th Century. It is not unusual to encounter the brand. I dont have any more specific information regarding history of the company. Yes, I have found their steel to be good and take and hold an edge that usually surpasses that of many chisels and plane irons produced today.

Ward's Master, on the other hand, refers to one of a number of the house brands of Montgomery Ward. As with Sears/Craftsman, other firms, including Stanley, Sargent, Millers Falls etc. made tools for these giant hardware firms. I believe that the Ward's Master series of planes were produced by Stanley for M.Ward and were considered M.Ward's top of the line offering.

Alan Turner
03-19-2004, 7:21 AM
Thanks for the info.
Alan