PDA

View Full Version : Knife hinges??

Terry Bigelow
03-05-2008, 2:01 PM
I'm currently working on a Krenov inspired cabinet-on-stand and have worked dilligently on the details. At this point there is no going back! I'm not quite ready to hang the doors but would like to at least buy the hinges and know a little bit about installing them. Pretty sure I can figure them out myself but I'd hate to screw this thing up this far along. Anyway, is there any sort of tutorial or such for installing them? Any pointers or tips from those of you who have used them? Thanks

Mike Duffy
03-05-2008, 2:22 PM
Try here.
http://woodworkstuff.net/DKnife.html

David DeCristoforo
03-05-2008, 2:34 PM
That's a great tutorial Mike posted. These hinges are not that hard to install but the positioning is critical since there is virtually no adjustment possible. So it would be a good idea to run through the drill once or twice on some sacrificial material before attacking your piece.

YM

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2008, 4:17 PM
I am in the middle of a Krenov inspired piece myself. I found an extremely good tutorial in this Taunton Press book.

http://www.amazon.com/Tauntons-Complete-Illustrated-Choosing-Installing/dp/1561585610/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204751543&sr=1-9

Terry Bigelow
04-05-2008, 6:44 PM
Well it's been a month since I asked and have finally completed the knife hinge installation on my cabinet. I ended up using a few sources to figure it out including the one Mike suggested and the PDF available from Rockler. It was much easier than I expected. I put so much work into the case and doors I was scared to screw it up! Anyway here's where I'm at so far. Thinking of pegging the tenons in the door stiles with some ebony and then drawers and the stand. Thanks for the help guys!

David DeCristoforo
04-05-2008, 7:05 PM
Looks like you pretty much nailed it. Nice piece BTW...

Matahuni Yoshoforo

Matt Crew
04-05-2008, 9:39 PM
Very nice work!
What kind of wood did you use?

Terry Bigelow
04-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Mahogany case and spalted maple panels.

Kevin Groenke
04-06-2008, 12:17 PM
Nice work Terry,

Next time you'll have to step it up and make the hinges yourself as they do at the Krenovian schools.

I made 3 pair recently and was quite surprised how easy it was. Used only a bandsaw (cheap 9", but 14" w/fine-ish blade would work too), disc sander, drill press and files. I spent about 2 hours making 3 pr, used maybe $3.00 in materials. (actually buy/find and old brass door hinge it they'll be nearly free.) I always thought the Brusso hinges were exorbitantly priced and now it is confirmed.

Some helpful hints:
Tape matching halves together with double sided tape while cutting/shaping.
Hold pieces in drill press vise when sawing, sanding, filing.
Drill hole ~.02 under pin dimension in both legs, enlarge hole in removable leaf.

Oddly Brusso simplifies the process by having measured drawing available.
http://www.brusso.com/Product/dimensions/l-37.pdf

-kg

Terry Bigelow
04-07-2008, 4:44 PM
Next time you'll have to step it up and make the hinges yourself as they do at the Krenovian schools.

Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that. At $16.00 a pair that's not a bad idea. I haven't ever tried cutting metal on the BS though. You say a fine blade eh? What did you use for the pin and washer? You made those L-style knife hinges? Very nice. I like the cherry vanity too. Gotta ask though, what's the little door that looks like a top drawer? Thanks for the tips too.

Kevin Groenke
04-07-2008, 6:14 PM
I actually cut the brass with a 1/4" x 6 tpi blade with very little set (an Olson I think, from Menards) a blade with more tpi (12-16) would probably work even better. For the pins I just used some 3/16 stainless rod that I had lying around, the washers are UHMW (slippery plastic) tape.

If I ever build it (I have a problem actually seeing anything to completion), the drawer front in the top rt will be the front of a 1/4 round "drawer" which will pivot out on the knife hinge. A full drawer won't fit there because of the sink bowl, and I hate false drawer fronts. I was going to make a bent laminated drawer side there, but I'm thinking a stainless box might be more appropriate to the toothbrushes or similar sink-related items that might live in the drawer.

-kg

Terry Bigelow
04-07-2008, 6:27 PM
If I ever build it (I have a problem actually seeing anything to completion), the drawer front in the top rt will be the front of a 1/4 round "drawer" which will pivot out on the knife hinge.
Welcome to the club. Thanks for the response. I'll have to give it a go(making the hinges) on the next cabinet. I have a sideboard in mind and would like to try making some of those L-styles.