PDA

View Full Version : Ok, Ok....so is it really that addictive???

Donnie Raines
03-16-2004, 9:36 AM
Here's the deal: Last year I bought a Jet mini-lathe....for door knobs and "stuff". While I agree there is a degree of enjoyment to making my own knobs and "stuff", I just can't seem to drag myself into turning small bowls and "stuff". I do enjoy viewing many of the items turned out by the members here. But, what do you do with all these vases, bowls, pens and stuff?? Are they (except for the pens) really functional?

....I guess I am afraid of getting the bug......it must be denial..... :D

DonnieR

Wolf Kiessling
03-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Here's the deal: Last year I bought a Jet mini-lathe....for door knobs and "stuff". While I agree there is a degree of enjoyment to making my own knobs and "stuff", I just can't seem to drag myself into turning small bowls and "stuff". I do enjoy viewing many of the items turned out by the members here. But, what do you do with all these vases, bowls, pens and stuff?? Are they (except for the pens) really functional?

....I guess I am afraid of getting the bug......it must be denial..... :D

DonnieR

Eat 'em.........

Sell 'em. If you can't sell 'em, give them away. Some, that you really like, keep 'em and display them in your house. Sometimes, you'll deliberately make something for yourself or to give away.

Regarding functionality, some things are made to be used, some things are purely "art" and some things can be both.....

Like so many things, it's mostly in the eyes of the beholder.

I've got the bug, my sculpting has been suffering because of it. Don't spend nearly as much time at it as I used to. I got my Delta 46-701 about four years ago. I was really happy with it but now I've got to scratch some money together because I'm lusting after a Vicmarc. That blasted bug is not only cutting into my sculpture time, it's cutting into my wallet, too.

Jim Becker
03-16-2004, 11:06 AM
While there are certainly a few folks who don't take to turning other than as a functional part of their woodworking craft, I do believe that the majority find it very compelling. (Myself included) There is something about putting an ugly chunk of dubious wood on a machine and after a short period of time, crafting a beautiful work of art right before your eyes. Unlike most other woodworking endeavors, turning gives you instant feedback and instant satisfaction. (Sometimes it give you instant angst, too...:rolleyes: ) It's hard to get the feeling from functional knobs, but should you try some other projects that are "turning for turning", you may find out if you, too, can catch the bug!

A recent personal example of how compelling turning can be is yesterday afternoon. Given I had been traveling out of the country for a week, I was taking an "easy" day, as I am today. I decided to head out to the shop later in the day to clean up a bit after the training I gave the previous weekend. In no matter than about ten minutes I had a piece of burl cap on the Stubby spinning away (in lieu of said cleaning up...;)) and in about an hour, had taken it from rough to what you see below. It was impossible to stop until the "dinner-bell" rang...before heading off to the Bucks Woodturners meeting and a most excellent and educational demonstration by well-known turner Ray Key. Sheesh!

(dimensions of the turning in progress is about 16" in diameter at the widest point and 6" thick)

John Miliunas
03-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh fer cryin' out loud, Jim! Stop it! Even with the dern faceplate still on the base and it sitting on a table saw, it looks wonderful! I didn't even notice those two little details until a second or third look! That's beautiful! :D

Donnie, tread carefully....or that Jet mini will rapidly turn into a Stubby or Vic or some such other monstrosity! :cool:

Bill Grumbine
03-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Hi Donnie

The problem may be that you haven't drug yourself into turning bowls yet. :eek: I can testify as an experienced pusher of turning that once you experience the hissing of long shavings coming off a gouge at high speed, you will be hooked. I have seen it happen many a time in my own shop. People who come for lessons, and may have already been turning for a bit, but the expression on their faces is always the same - like the cat who ate the proverbial canary - when they hit that sweet spot with the tool, the wood begins to hiss, and the shape begins to form. People just light up with glee.

In fact, I have been turning for almost 11 years now, and I still light up with glee when I am turning a big ole bowl and I get that cutting action.

Bill

Bill Grumbine
03-16-2004, 11:34 AM
Jim, that's not a bad looking bowl there, but you need to do some better sanding on the outside. It still looks kinda rough to me. :D

What color are you going to paint it? :eek:

Bill

Jim Becker
03-16-2004, 11:41 AM
Jim, that's not a bad looking bowl there, but you need to do some better sanding on the outside. It still looks kinda rough to me. :D

What color are you going to paint it? :eek:

Bill

Sheesh...Rodney Dangerfield had the right idea.

Seriously, I'm quite happy that this "propeller of a turning" didn't interfere with the flesh on my left hand...not even once. That would have resulted in the "angst" thing I mentioned above.

I also like your description: "the hissing of long shavings coming off a gouge at high speed"...yea, that's a nice sound.

Andy London
03-16-2004, 12:47 PM
I picked up a Jet mini for my son to turn pens and stuff...now I can't keep my 11 year old daughter out of the shop either, I mean these guys (March break here) are up, had breakfast and are in the shop by 8:30....Lots of fun.

A buddy dropped of 30 to 40 chunkc of Birdseye, Curly Maple and Curly Birch yesterday in exchange for two small bowels, he runs one of those Woodmizer units and has a pile of this stuff....

I'l afraid to go near it as I'm already behind on other projects:)

Here is my son's very first pen, no help at all, just reading...It is made of Tulipwood...turned out pretty good!

Donnie Raines
03-16-2004, 1:16 PM
Thanks for the "go for it" encouragement. I am intrigued by the projects I am simply afraid of getting sucked in(and my pocket book getting sucked out).

I think I will try some pens first...and see whereit goes from there. Thanks for the input.

DonnieR

Jeff Skory
03-16-2004, 8:10 PM
Jim, what a COOL looking piece of wood!! Personally I would stop right there, replace the faceplate with a walnut stand and hang a spotlight over it. :D

I'm about 3 tools away from a lathe. But it's calling me.

Jim Becker
03-16-2004, 8:29 PM
Personally I would stop right there, replace the faceplate with a walnut stand and hang a spotlight over it.

Actually, I've been thinking about some form of stand; probably something with three points of contact with a table or shelf, but with minimal lift overall as this piece is already rather thick. I'll probably make it from ash and "ebonize" it by burning and burnishing.

Gene Collison
03-16-2004, 8:41 PM
[!

A recent personal example of how compelling turning can be is yesterday afternoon. Given I had been traveling out of the country for a week, I was taking an "easy" day, as I am today. I decided to head out to the shop later in the day to clean up a bit after the training I gave the previous weekend. In no matter than about ten minutes I had a piece of burl cap on the Stubby spinning away (in lieu of said cleaning up...;)) and in about an hour, had taken it from rough to what you see below. It was impossible to stop until the "dinner-bell" rang...before heading off to the Bucks Woodturners meeting and a most excellent and educational demonstration by well-known turner Ray Key. Sheesh!

__________________________________________________ ______

Jim,

If you ever want to get rid of that one, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. Beeyoutifull!!!

Gene