PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 66 or Craftsman 22114

Louie George
03-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I currently own a two year old Craftsman 22114, which I have been quite happy with but have a co-worker who is selling a Powermatic 66 from his father's estate for a ridiculous price. I have seen the saw and it is not without its faults, it is a late 80s model that has been painted brown, is missing a blade guard, motor cover, fence and rails (no problem there since I have a 50 inch Beisemyer that I never got around to installing on the Craftsman) and needs to be oiled and have the belts replaced. Other than that it runs and seems pretty solid other than for the items that I have named.

My question is, is a 20 year old Powermatic that much better than a relatively new Craftsman 22114, or at least enough so to justify trading one for the other? Let me know what you think since my co-worker is anxious to get it out of the garage. Thanks

Eric Haycraft
03-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Depending upon how sweet the deal is, most of us would probably say yes.

What it comes down to is this..
Do you want to or would you even enjoy fixing the 66 up? I would hate to see it stay brown for long :(

The c-man is a good saw.. It will probably last a lifetime. The 66 is pretty much the benchmark that most manufacturers strive to attain. The 66 will probably last 5 lifetimes. The 66 will also have more power.. anywhere from 2HP to 5HP and even if 2HP the real output is probably higher than that.

scott spencer
03-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Passing on the PM66 could be reason to kick yourself in the backside for years. If the saw is in good condition, or is at least salvageable with reasonable effort, I'd likely go for it....your gut will know if it's right. You can repaint it back to original colors. Even though you've been happy with the 22114, the PM is an entirely different class of saw. Note that it will require 220v though.

Louie George
03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. Let me put it this way, I paid more for the Biesemeyer, on ebay, than I would for the saw and I agree it would not stay brown for long. It is a 3 hp Baldor.

John Cooper2
03-05-2008, 12:42 PM
I know about 200 people are saying at this moment.

If you don't want it let us know so we can pick it up.

I would be first in line depending on location......

Go for it, you will not be sorry

Brad Noble
03-05-2008, 12:58 PM
In a heartbeat! The 66's have recently (as in the last week or so) been discontinued being made in the USA. These are going to just get more expensive as time passes. Buy it quick before your friend sobers up. :D

Brad

jason lambert
03-05-2008, 1:17 PM
let me put it this way if you don't take it I will!

Keith Beck
03-05-2008, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. Let me put it this way, I paid more for the Biesemeyer, on ebay, than I would for the saw and I agree it would not stay brown for long. It is a 3 hp Baldor.

With that criteria, you'd be remiss if you passed on the deal. If nothing else, you could clean it up and repaint it, use both saws for a while to see which you liked better, and sell the one that loses. If it's the PM66 and you're getting it as cheap as you imply, you'd probably even make a tidy profit.

My .02.

Keith

Mike Bosdet
03-05-2008, 3:18 PM
I want to do my part to help out! Since I have no TS, I'll take the 22114 off your hands! You don't, by chance, live in CA, do you?????

Rod Upfold
03-05-2008, 3:26 PM

with a deal like that...you feel the need to ask such a question. Wish I had decisions like that.

Rod

Tom Henry
03-05-2008, 3:35 PM
OMG!!! What is there to think about...PM 66 and your new fence...you will be golden!

Dave Verstraete
03-05-2008, 5:28 PM
I'm in the truck...where do I go to pick it up.

Randy Davidson
03-05-2008, 5:42 PM
Don't let it pass you by (buy, buy, buy).

Joe Jensen
03-05-2008, 7:44 PM
You are talking about two very different tiers of tools. The 80s PM 66 is one of the best 10" cabinet saws ever made. They did not come with a motor cover, and their guards were terrible. A Sears saw is well, a Sears saw. If you haven't used a PM66 or a Unisaw, you have no idea what you are missing.

3HP 1Ph PM66s in rough shape sell for over $1K. I sold my 1990 in really nice shape for $1500 to the first caller ( bought a SawStop )...joe

Lee Koepke
03-05-2008, 7:47 PM
as others before me said .. I would be willing to pick it up.

dont know what I would do with an extra TS but .. couldnt hurt :D

They do take a little work, but its not that complicated of a machine to work on. I am not mechanically inclined and I rebuilt a 60s Rockwell ...

Peter Quinn
03-05-2008, 9:52 PM
I am presently in the truck driving to the middle of the country to hedge my bets....please let me know where I can pick up this saw....my PM66 is lonely and needs a friend! Clearly you are happy with the craftsman and want to pass this beautiful machine on to me:eek::eek::eek:

I looked for a used PM66 for YEARS to no avail...finally bought a new one. Ever notice how few used PM66's are for sale? Ever wonder why?

PS...If you dig around in the co-workers dad's house you may just find those rails and fence somewhere in a corner, taken off to put the machine in storage. Happens often.

John Browne
03-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Is this like a trick question? Of course it's better than the zip code saw. Get it and you'll never regret it; pass it up and you'll never forget it.

Dave MacArthur
03-06-2008, 1:46 AM
Get it, if you decide you were wrong (you won't) you can make an easy profit selling it on Craigs List

Rod Upfold
03-07-2008, 7:48 AM
Well did you buy it or pass it or missed it?

Rod

Louie George
03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
With all of the positive response to this post (I didn't get even one person suggesting that I pass on this) I have decided to go with the consensus of my Esteemed Colleagues and have become a proud owner of a PM 66, which I will be picking up this weekend.

Now if I could get the same kind of support with helping me unload this beast:p I would be even better off. Thanks again for everyone who provided input on this decision.

Louie George

Eric Haycraft
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
With all of the positive response to this post (I didn't get even one person suggesting that I pass on this) I have decided to go with the consensus of my Esteemed Colleagues and have become a proud owner of a PM 66, which I will be picking up this weekend.

Now if I could get the same kind of support with helping me unload this beast:p I would be even better off. Thanks again for everyone who provided input on this decision.

Louie George

Where do you live?

scott spencer
03-07-2008, 11:40 AM

Louie George

Congrats Louie! If I can make the drive in < 20 minutes, I'll be right over to help! ;)

Please post some followup comments once you've made some dust with it and form an opinion.

Jerome Hanby
03-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Sounds like you got a killer deal! Speaking of killer deals, wonder if I could make friends with someone whose father had a saw like that and... :eek:

Louie George
03-07-2008, 2:27 PM
I'm in Texas, depending on how fast you drive it probably misses your criteria. Thanks for your input, will keep everyone informed.

Louie

Rod Upfold
03-07-2008, 5:07 PM
I'm in Texas, depending on how fast you drive it probably misses your criteria. Thanks for your input, will keep everyone informed.

Louie

Sorry Louie... I can't make it - I live Canada and there is another snow storm suppose to start later this evening.

Congratulations - you lucky woodworker

Rod

Tom Henry
03-07-2008, 5:24 PM
We are going to need pics!!!

Scott Haddix
03-07-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm live in Texas, bought a used PM66 a few months ago and got help setting it up. I'd be happy to 'pay it forward', if by Texas you happen to mean Houston. PM me if I can help.

Grant Vanbokklen
03-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Get that PM66 running as good as you can then post back with pics on the process and your opinion over the Craftsman.

Ben Cadotte
03-08-2008, 12:50 AM

Louie George

I will help you load and unload it. And have a space for you to restore it.

In MY shop. :D:D

Dave MacArthur
03-08-2008, 1:27 AM
Louie,
Read my post in my signature on moving a table saw. You can get a $99 crane from Harbor Freight (1 ton) which is plenty, which you can just pick up the saw, put it into your truck, and unload it at home. I pick up my PM66 and move it around with one hand (I mean the shop crane rolls that easily while holding the saw suspended). Did it last weekend to place my saw on to a new mobile base.

congrats, and good luck! PS, I have had stuff I thought I had "bought" sold out from under me to a guy that showed up with a trailer and more cash. I would not wait--get over there NOW!

Louie George
03-08-2008, 8:57 AM
Scott,

I'm in the DFW metroplex area, way too far to go to pay it forward, but thanks for the offer.

Grant,

Will do.

Louie George
03-08-2008, 9:09 AM
Looks like I'm headed to HF

Grant Vanbokklen
03-08-2008, 9:54 PM
I have a 50 inch Beisemyer that I never got around to installing on the Craftsman

Isn't it funny how things work out. That fence was never meant to be on that saw ;)

Jim O'Dell
03-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Scott,

I'm in the DFW metroplex area, way too far to go to pay it forward, but thanks for the offer.

Grant,

Will do.

I'm in the same area. If you are in the W (Fort Worth) side of DFW, I might be able to help out tomorrow (Sunday). Post here or PM me. Jim.

Bob Feeser
03-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Louie,
congrats, and good luck! PS, I have had stuff I thought I had "bought" sold out from under me to a guy that showed up with a trailer and more cash. I would not wait--get over there NOW!

Dave is a wise sage. Take his advice. You could sell the motor for more then you are paying for the saw. You do not sit on deals like that. This is one of the very top best made saws, if not the best, and during an era when they made them properly, and all you need is the seller is having a passing conversation in a sandwich shop, and it is sold right out from under you.
Let me give you just one example, and this has happened repeatedly in my lifetime. I was looking for a certain type of car, one finally appeared in the newspaper for a giveaway price, and the ad stated emphatically, do not call before 5 oclock. I called at 5:00:01 and the guy said, someone just left who gave me a deposit, with a signed sales agreement.
He who hesitates is lost. Take Dave's advice.

Jim O'Dell
03-09-2008, 9:47 PM
So, Louie...did you get it home or not?? Inquiring minds and all that stuff, you know. Jim.

J. Z. Guest
03-09-2008, 9:54 PM
Good deal.

Wouldn't it be a kick in the nuts if you preferred the Craftsman after all this? :D (after dragging it down to your basement or whatever)

Be ready to put in some time & effort, and I think you may just have your holy grail saw.

I for one, am happy with my humble Ridgid TS2400, and if I stumbled upon a PM66, I'd post about it here for my homies. (no room or power for such a beast in my present shop)

Louie George
03-10-2008, 9:33 AM
Jim,

Thanks for the offer of assistance. I did get it home, out of the truck and set up in my shop/ garage... boy is that thing heavy... I ended up having to recruit a few other kids in the neighborhood to help. I certainly did not have to go to those links with the Craftsman!!! Looks like repainting will be a challenge, with the weight and all, but it looks like it will certainly be worth it.

Jim O'Dell
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
That's great! Be sure to keep us informed with the progress. Pictures are a must! Jim.

Louie George
03-10-2008, 5:13 PM
Pics will be forth coming

Bart Leetch
03-10-2008, 6:44 PM
Louie

You can do a great job rehabbing that PM.

It can't be any worse than my older 1940 Unisaw.

See the Alpha & the Omega.

Grant Vanbokklen
03-10-2008, 7:43 PM
I just read on another ww'ing forum that the last USA made Powermatic 66 just rolled off the assembly line last week.

Sounds like you've got yourself a "collectors" item there as well! Just not as easy to trade these as it is handplanes ;)

Eric Commarato
03-10-2008, 9:02 PM
Don't stop to think about this. go immediately and get it. If it is under 10 feet of water, I would still get it!

J. Z. Guest
03-10-2008, 9:12 PM
I just read on another ww'ing forum that the last USA made Powermatic 66 just rolled off the assembly line last week.

That is so sad. They should have kept in production and just raised the price. Go into production elsewhere, if need be, but at least try to provide the option of a USA made machine. :(

I think some people would appreciate it. Not everyone is pinching their pennies.

Simon Dupay
03-10-2008, 9:25 PM

Sounds like you've got yourself a "collectors" item there as well! Just not as easy to trade these as it is handplanes ;)

I heard that this is just a rumor and that the 66 is still in production.

Bob Feeser
03-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Louie,
Everyone has their own way of doing things, but if it was me, I would be calling PM and seeing if the original decal set was available. Then when you take it down, reprime, paint, and reinstall the decals, it will look like a brand new one. You could even match the original paint.
I didn't know you were up to the stages of moving it already. The key with a 66 is the top comes off with only a few bolts. Then you take the side motor cover off, and tilt the saw down onto a blanket, and remove the 2 bolts that holds the motor on, release the belts, and then lift the saw back up. The motor is then on the ground, resting on a blanket. Hand truck it around, after strapping it in real well with some cloths protecting it. If the top has the cast iron extensions, you can remove them first before removing the top. This reduces the saw body down to a manageable 300 lbs. or thereabouts. Do not take out the trunion assy, according to PM, all the rest of what I just said, they advised me to do, so I could get it down the stairs, into the basement shop. Trunions are set up, and it gets technical.
I want to go through refinishing procedure with you, cause I had a shop for 20 years that did a ton of metal refinishing. If you are going to take it down, to at least the original finish by sanding, I have a lot of tips for you. You could look up my posts, and check out the 1948 Walker Turner band saw I restored. A ways back I provided a full page description of the steps. It is all in the preparation.
Anyhow, great find, no matter how far you want to go with the beauty treatment, but if you did restore it that way, it would be worth more, and your enjoyment would increase as well. Congrats on a great find, and acquiring a great saw. I love mine.