PDA

View Full Version : Router bit collet extender

Keith Hall
03-05-2008, 11:49 AM
I need a collet extender for my Freud FT2200VCE router. It appears there are 2 or 3 choices available. Has anyone had experience with them and what are your recommendations/comments ? keith

scott spencer
03-05-2008, 1:10 PM
I had an extender from MLCS for my FT2000 which is a near identical predecessor to your FT2200. It works, but it did add a bit more vibration.

Keith Starosta
03-05-2008, 1:25 PM
I will second the vibration factor! I used my MLCS 1/2" extender for the first time last night. I was really surprised at the amount of vibration I was getting. It subsided a bit after I lowered the RPM of my Hitachi router, but it was still there. It didn't, however, seem to hinder the performance of the router or the cut.

- Keith

Bob Hallowell
03-05-2008, 1:45 PM
I have the xtreme xtension and like it, I use it in my big Bosch. Plus it just takes a allen wrench to remove or install a bit. No runout or vibration that I can tell.

Bob

this is the one I use

http://www.amazon.com/Router-Technologies-EX-2080-Professional/dp/B000EXQ2FA

Glenn Clabo
03-05-2008, 1:45 PM
For those who seem to get some vibration try these things...
1. Make sure your collet is VERY clean before you plug in the extender.
2. If you get any vibration...try turning the extender 1/4 turn. Sometimes the run out of the extender and router shaft can be negated.

Also...if you are going to use it for a long time...you are putting more force on the router bearings than designed for. Take smaller cuts and you won't flex it as much.

You need to get a precisely manufactured one...so don't go cheap. I have this one and it has no run out.

http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/PROD/32-120

Lance Norris
03-05-2008, 7:54 PM
I have the 1/2" one from MLCS and have used it quite a bit making the Woodsmith routed bowls. Works good and the price is reasonable.

Richard Dragin
03-05-2008, 8:28 PM
I've tried both kinds. The extreme is good if you want to be able to do above table bit changes but it was wider than my bowl bit so it was no good for making router bowls. The MLCS extension is great for making router bowls but would be harder to use for changing bits while in the table. I didn't have a vibration problem with the MLCS version but used a variable speed router and turned down the rpm's.

Joe Vincent
03-05-2008, 9:03 PM
Does anyone have fears about using these in some table situations, such as panel raising bits?

Steve Clardy
03-05-2008, 9:05 PM
Never had the guts to even buy an extender, let alone use one in a router. :rolleyes:

If it takes something like that to get a job done, I'll find some other way to do it.

Bob Hallowell
03-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Does anyone have fears about using these in some table situations, such as panel raising bits?

My bosch 1619 has the xtreme permently mounted, it lives in my jessem rout r lift and I have raised many panels with it.

Bob

Don L Johnson
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I bought mine from Timberlinetools.com; part number CMT 796.001.00. It cost, at the time (5/07), $21.47. I used it to hog out several routher bowls and did not have a problem.