PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use the 6 and 8 mm dominoes

Paul Johnstone
03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm really close to ordering a domino. I was going to get the $750 kit that includes the trim stop and other accessory. I've heard those are worth it.

I was thinking about ordering the sustrainer kit with it that has all the cutters and sample packs of all the dominoes.. However, upon further thought, I'm not so sure it's a good deal.

If I understand, the domino already comes with a 5 mm cutter. That seems ok for 3/4 stock. (Am I wrong here?)

I will use it on some 1.5" stock, so I was considering buying the 10 mm cutter, some 5 mm dominoes, and some 10 mm dominoes.

Will I regret not getting the 6 and 8 mm cutters and dominoes and cutters? I know I will miss out on getting the cool sustrainer to store all the domino stuff in, but that really doesn't bother me.

I'm willing to buy all the cutters if it adds value, but I'm trying to avoid buying accessories that will just sit there and be unused.

Bill Wyko
03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Even if you don't get it now, I'd get it asap. It comes with plenty of dominos and the cutters to go with it as well. It's a great savings in the package. You'll love the Domino. You can do Mortises in seconds. I just built a cabinet with through dominos and it looks cool. Did them about 2 inches apart and built the whole thing in about an hour. I'll try totake pics tonight.

Chris Padilla
03-05-2008, 1:16 PM
If you don't get the kit and the other dominoes, you will want them in the future. Here is the deal, once you get used to using the Domino, you are going to want to use it for EVERYTHING and you will regret not having the other cutters to provide more versatility.

Paul Johnstone
03-05-2008, 1:43 PM
If you don't get the kit and the other dominoes, you will want them in the future. Here is the deal, once you get used to using the Domino, you are going to want to use it for EVERYTHING and you will regret not having the other cutters to provide more versatility.

Ok, I can understand that.. I guess I'm trying to understand, because everything I've ever made is either out of 3/4 or 1.5 inch stock.

Is there a case where a 6 or 8 mm domino is better than a 5mm or 10 mm one?

I won't be upset if I have to buy another cutter in a few years.

I just did the math, and it seems that the $240 systrainer isn't exactly a deal.. The four cutters are $114 if you buy seperately (and I imagine you won't need a second 5 mm cutter for awhile). The dominoes are kind of like sample packs.. roughly $70 worth (very rough math).. The good part of the deal is that you get a sustrainer, if you want that.

I was thinking of getting the 10 mm cutter, 1800 of the 5 mm dominoes at $65, and then some 10 mm dominoes. I was thinking that was a better way to go, unless there's a compelling need for 6 and 8 mm dominoes..

I guess I'm assuming 10 mm dominoes are best for 1.5 inch stock, and 5 mm dominoes are best for 3/4 inch stock.. maybe they aren't.. Does anyone know?

Clisby Clark
03-05-2008, 1:55 PM
I've used mine on a few projects so far. It may not seem like a big difference between the fives and sixes but I prefer to use the sixes for 3/4 ply and solid woods and the fives for 1/2 and 5/8 stock. The sixes are beefier and I think longer than the fives. I would go ahead and get the assortment-it's really handy to keep all that suff organized-just my opinion. Good luck.

Bill Wyko
03-05-2008, 2:30 PM
For the most part I have only used the 6 & 8 mm dominos so far. That'll work fine for many projects.

John Stevens
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Is there a case where a 6 or 8 mm domino is better than a 5mm or 10 mm one?

Hi, Paul. Here's some info I got from Rick Christopherson's aftermarket Domino manual. Tenon thickness should be 1/3 the thickness of the workpiece that will take the mortise in edge or end grain, with the exception that it should be slightly less in soft woods or man-made materials like plywood, chipboard and MDF. So for 3/4" hardwood stock, you'd use the 6mm tenon if max strength is important, but for 3/4" ply or mdf, the 5mm will make a stronger joint. I've found that the 5mm dominos are REALLY strong, and I could definitely see them blowing out a mortise in ply (depending on the design of the piece and the amount of abuse, of course).

That said, the 8mm and 10mm seem to work equally well in dimensional wood (pine, fir or hemlock studs), which I've been using a lot of for utility shelving.

Hope this helps. As Bill said, if you're going to buy one, get it soon. I think the prices go up April 1st. And as Chris said, once you have it, you'll use it for everything, and not just for joining stuff together. It's surprising all the other things you can do with these tenons. For example, my wife has a couple of small weightlifting bars (EZ-curl & French curl) and we needed a new place to hang them in that part of the basement where we keep the "iron." So I plugged a couple of dominos into one of the utility shelves, carved them a little with a rasp to receive the round profiles of the bars, and that job was done.

Regards,

John

Paul Johnstone
03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for the input and education on the options. Thanks!

Jeff Heil
03-06-2008, 1:10 PM
Several posts reference a price increase 4/1/08, does anyone know approximately how large an increase? Thanks!

Chris Padilla
03-06-2008, 1:49 PM
Several posts reference a price increase 4/1/08, does anyone know approximately how large an increase? Thanks!

Isn't *any* increase in this already-expensive-as-all-get-out tool bad? ;) Bob Marino, a fellow Creeker/Festool dealer, should have that information so drop him a line.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2008, 1:53 PM
If you look at the Humidor I built, I made a slide lock for the front doors in about 5 minutes.

Bob Marino
03-06-2008, 2:16 PM

The price for the Domino and the Domino set will go up by $50.00 to $750.00 and $800.00 respectively.

Bob

Jeff Heil
03-07-2008, 1:07 PM
Thanks for the quick response Bob! I have been setting aside money for a domino set and either a CT 22 or CT33 and anticipated having cash in hand within the next 2-3 months. But, will have to try to place my order with you prior to the end of the month to save the money! My calculations show I save $67.50 and $76.50 respectively on the combo, plus the cost increase.