PDA

View Full Version : New Grizzly BandsawG0513X2

Peter Quadarella
03-05-2008, 9:50 AM
OK, I finally purchased the G0513X2 and it arrived. I spent a bunch of time setting it up. This is my first bandsaw and here are my comments for those of you looking to purchase this saw:

1. When you buy a plug, get one that will allow the aluminum fittings (Y connectors) in it if you don't want to strip the wires and remove those nicely attached fittings. Since I had a 20 amp circuit, I decided to use a 20 amp plug (even though you really only need a 15amp for this saw) and the only one I could find that allowed this between Lowe's and Home Depot was the cheap yellow one from Lowes.
2. It was a lot easier to move this into position than I thought it would be. I paid for lift gate service, and the delivery guy wheeled it right to the spot I wanted it in my garage. With the help of 1 person, I was able to uncrate it and move it onto the floor. I did not put a mobile base on it. With a hand truck and 1 helper for safety, I am confident I could move this again. The table is heavy - remove it for a much easier time of this.
3. The instructions for setting the guides seemed to be wrong. I wasted time trying to figure out why the adjustment knobs they referenced didn't seem to exactly match my configuration. Perhaps this was because the manual was for the G0513X (not the X2), or maybe I was just missing something. Anyway, it was much easier to just skip to the end to see what they wanted you to do and then figure out which knob does it for yourself.
4. There are a lot of adjustments on a bandsaw! This is my first one.

Overall, its a great looking piece of equipment and seems really solid. I haven't used it much except to test it out. Now for the questions:

Setting the distance between the back of the blade and the bearing support - they say to use a folder dollar bill or a .016" feeler gauge. How can you fit this in? The guard seems to block any access to this? I cut some paper and used my calipers and tried to fit it to get a rough feel, but ended up judging this mostly by eye.

Here's the part I'm most worried about. Everything seems to be square and the blade is tracking well. However, there is some minor vibration. If I put a penny on the table, it is solid as a rock, but the blade guard vibrates and when I look through the window to see the top wheel, I can see it quivering back and forth a little. I know some minor vibration might be normal, but I'm worried this is too much. I haven't checked to see if the wheels are coplanar. I spun the wheel while tensioned and it didn't return to the same spot, so hopefully the wheels is not out of balance. During a couple of spins, after spinning, it rolled back about a half inch, not sure if that's normal. I hope there's nothing wrong - any have any advice (as mentioned, I have no bandsaw experience so nothing to compare against)?

I would call Grizzly but I am leaving on a trip this evening and will be gone until Sunday. When I get back I will look more into it.

Brian Kent
03-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Peter,

No advice from me - just congratulations and thank you for posting. I hope to purchase one next week.

Just remember, if you post pictures now, it will head off everyone who won't belive it really happened:D.

Brian

Greg Cole
03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Peter,
You sure the upper wheel is actually moving or "quivering"? The tire can be a little deceiving as the wheel goes around giving the look of "quivering".
I have the same saw and no issues or any vibrations. Might be worth it to open the upper door while it's running and watch closely.
The one adjustment I did need to make that is note worthy is the height adjustment for the upper blade guides.... as I lowered the guide closer to the table the blade guides would move towards the back of the saw (making all adjustments to blade guides off a good ways). Couple pieces of shim stock behind the mounting block for the post and it's dead nuts now.

Cheers & congrats on the rumored new bandsaw.;)

Greg

Eddie Darby
03-05-2008, 2:56 PM
"Setting the distance between the back of the blade and the bearing support - they say to use a folder dollar bill or a .016" feeler gauge. How can you fit this in? The guard seems to block any access to this? I cut some paper and used my calipers and tried to fit it to get a rough feel, but ended up judging this mostly by eye."
================================================== ================================================== ==================

The whole idea behind the folded dollar bill is that the blade does not touch the back bearing until a load is applied to the blade. So as long as you see the bearing not moving when you first start-up your saw, and then engaging when you start cutting, you have it right.

Peter Quadarella
03-05-2008, 3:05 PM
Thanks guys, I was trying to hold off on posting until I have a picture so you guys would believe me, but I won't be able to take one until I get back on Sunday and didn't want to wait ;).

It's possible what I am seeing is the tire, however I can see the red blade guard vibrating a good bit. :(

glenn bradley
03-05-2008, 3:10 PM
"Setting the distance between the back of the blade and the bearing support - they say to use a folder dollar bill or a .016" feeler gauge. How can you fit this in? The guard seems to block any access to this? I cut some paper and used my calipers and tried to fit it to get a rough feel, but ended up judging this mostly by eye."
================================================== ================================================== ==================

The whole idea behind the folded dollar bill is that the blade does not touch the back bearing until a load is applied to the blade. So as long as you see the bearing not moving when you first start-up your saw, and then engaging when you start cutting, you have it right.

I have a G0513X and I just look for a bit of light between the back of the blade and the rear bearing. To get a feel for it grab a folded dollar bill with your calipers, lock the jaw and slip the bill out. Hold the caliper up to the light, that's 'about' the gap your looking for. Not super critical.

Peter Quadarella
03-05-2008, 3:29 PM
Great, that's pretty much what I did.

Greg Cole
03-06-2008, 9:09 AM
Peter,
The one other thing I made a big adjustment on, silly as it may sound... is the little "brooms" for cleaning the dust off the tires. After a couple of uses the BS was emitting a sound akin to a whale, and the resonance caused a little vibration.....

Greg

Brad Pearce
03-30-2008, 4:42 PM
Peter -
I've got the same BS and also noticed a fair amount of vibration when running at 3500 FPM, but was fairly smooth at 1700 FPM. I checked every thing I could think of and could find nothing out of spec. I read some posts about changing the v-belt. I purchased a Fenner Drives 0418030SL PowerTwist Plus V-Belt and installed it on the Griz. What a difference, absolutely amazing. My saw runs with almost no vibration now at 3500 FPM. Bandsaws given their mechanical setup are prone to vibrational propagation.
Brad