PDA

View Full Version : No good deed goes unpunished....

James A. Wolfe
03-05-2008, 9:35 AM
Morning all,
I may have written a check with my mouth that my a** may have to cash. Not realizing the amount of hassle that would be involved, I offered to donate a handfull of trophies and ribbons to a co-workers Cub Scout pack for their Pinewood Derby. Let me point out that

I am a hobbyist
Not in retail business
The Cub Scout pack would not be purchasing these trophies from a retailer as the cost is too high.What I have found is that JDS Industries will not sell me the items since I don't have a Tax ID. The Cub Scout pack has authorized me to purchase with their exemption number but since no tax will be collected (donation) JDS still won't sell to me. I contacted a local trophy shop and asked if I could purchase the parts through them and even offered to pay an additional premium to cover their time but the best they could offer was to sell me the products for the full price (which normally includes engraving). What's a brother to do? I'm going to have to withdraw my offer since I see no way to get it done with the money I was prepared to spend. Any ideas to help me get this done would be appreciated.

Thanx,

Jim

Vicky Orsini
03-05-2008, 9:44 AM
Jim, when do you need these trophies?

George M. Perzel
03-05-2008, 9:52 AM
Hi Jim;
About 20 different ways to skin this cat-give me a call and will give you my account number. I can't stand it when bureaucracy gets in the way of progress, especially for a worthy cause.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts
585-924-4519

George D Gabert
03-05-2008, 10:21 AM
What if you cut your own trophies out of wood. Riser of different sizes engraved with places holder, date and event name. Maybe car shape or just BSA Emblem. Mount riser to wood base plate.

We had someone make something like this for our sailing club. I can get a picture of sample when I get home tonight if you would like. Cost was like cheep using scrap wood.

There was a recent post showing how to do this in acrylic.

Regards
GDG

Ray Mighells
03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
James; I have a lot of Black Cherry 3.75" wide .25" thick X 12" long. It's prime stuff and engraves nice. I cut it with my 35W Epilog too. Send me your address and I'll send you a box UPS. You can see some of the stuff I've done with it at: http://www.PictureTrail.com/razaxnstuff

Nicole Hernandez
03-05-2008, 1:04 PM
I will be happy to place the order for you.... just cover the actual cost and the re-shipping. I live in Illinois and get next day shipping from JDS Chicago.... I could ship it along the following day.

Gary Hair
03-05-2008, 1:11 PM
What I have found is that JDS Industries will not sell me the items since I don't have a Tax ID.

Easy solution - get a tax id. It takes about 5 minutes and is no big deal.

James A. Wolfe
03-05-2008, 1:38 PM
Thanks to all for suggestions to get me out of my jam. I've decided to take Nicole's offer and have forwarded info to her. I knew I could count on a sympathetic Creeker.

Thanx,

Jim

Scott Shepherd
03-05-2008, 2:03 PM
No need to reship, just have her tell JDS to ship it to your address.

Nicole Hernandez
03-05-2008, 2:45 PM
Thanks for the info, I actually had thought of that myself and called them.. they said No Problem.. Jim, I sent you an email, need your shipping address.

James A. Wolfe
03-05-2008, 4:06 PM
Nicole,
The e-mail address in my profile has been closed due to excessive spam. I updated my info in the profile. My address is
Jim Wolfe
4900 Waterloo Road
Burlington, KY 41005

Thanx,
Jim

James A. Wolfe
03-11-2008, 9:11 PM
Thanks to all the Creekers who helped me solve this problem, the Cub Scouts will be racing Friday night. Thanks to:

Vicky
George
George
Ray
Nicole :D
Gary
Scott