PDA

View Full Version : clamping options

Mike Steinhilper
03-05-2008, 8:33 AM
I need to attached hardwood edge to my bench top. Anyone have any clever ideas that would keep me from having to go out and spend $200+ on a bunch of new clamps? I know I'll need them eventually, but I am pushing it already on this unplanned project:eek:

Sam Yerardi
03-05-2008, 8:47 AM
You can use wedges. Here is a long-winded explanation where a drawing would be so much easier to understand but here goes -

Depending on your configuration, it sounds like in this case you may be able to create large 'U-shaped' structures of pine and use a wedge/end bracket. For example, if your bench is 30" wide, take a couple 2x4s about 40" or so long and drill holes on each equidistant maybe 2" apart from about the middle to ends. At one end of the 2x4's nail, glue, or screw a cross-piece 2x4 about 2-4" greater in length than the thickness of the cross-sectional area of the bench. Now you have a 'U' straddling across the bench. At the opposite end, add a similar-length 2x4 using bolts through each end into the holes at the free ends of the 'U'. Now between that cross-piece and the side of you bench, place a couple wedges. I hope this makes sense. Make as many of these as you need. Cheap & easy to make.

Sam Yerardi
03-05-2008, 8:52 AM
A picture is worth a thousand of my words :)

Doug Shepard
03-05-2008, 9:08 AM
I picked up some BowClamp Cauls a few months ago for the very same application. There's a forum section for them. They worked a whole lot better than the ones I tried to make myself and only req'd 2 clamps per caul. I was only gluing up one side at a time as I used epoxy with the fast hardener and didn't want to push my open time, so I dont know how well they would do with cauls also on the opposite side at the same time.

Wilbur Pan
03-05-2008, 9:35 AM
If you are talking about adding a hardwood edge to the side of the top of the bench, and if you have the gluing surfaces really straight and well matched, a long piece of rope wound around the the top and the edging might work.

But you might as well just get the clamps. You'll need them anyway.

Tim Thomas
03-05-2008, 9:38 AM
I don't know if it goes against the "neanderthal code", but I would just use some long wood screws. You would probably want to predrill and countersink holes in the apron stock, especially near the ends, to prevent splitting. Then roll glue on the back of the apron and screw it into place around the edge. If you don't want to leave the screws in the finished bench you can just back them out after the glue dries. (If you go this route, you may want to put some wax on the screws before you drive them in.) To finish it off for aesthetic reasons you could drill out the screw holes and fill with wooden dowels, or put plugs in the counter sunk holes if you decide to leave the screws in.

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it would be very inexpensive, especially if you already have some screws laying around.

Mike Steinhilper
03-05-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't know if it goes against the "neanderthal code", but I would just use some long wood screws. You would probably want to predrill and countersink holes in the apron stock, especially near the ends, to prevent splitting. Then roll glue on the back of the apron and screw it into place around the edge. If you don't want to leave the screws in the finished bench you can just back them out after the glue dries. (If you go this route, you may want to put some wax on the screws before you drive them in.) To finish it off for aesthetic reasons you could drill out the screw holes and fill with wooden dowels, or put plugs in the counter sunk holes if you decide to leave the screws in.

Maybe not the most elegant solution, but it would be very inexpensive, especially if you already have some screws laying around.

Tim, you are a genius.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I think it's also against code, but the easiest for me is to use a pneumatic brad nailer. Fast, easy to fill, no risk of splitting.

Mike Steinhilper
03-05-2008, 11:18 AM
P.S. Sam, you are also a genius, but I'm feeling lazy.

Joe Cunningham
03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I don't know if it goes against the "neanderthal code", but I would just use some long wood screws. You would probably want to predrill and countersink holes in the apron stock, especially near the ends, to prevent splitting. Then roll glue on the back of the apron and screw it into place around the edge. If you don't want to leave the screws in the finished bench you can just back them out after the glue dries. (If you go this route, you may want to put some wax on the screws before you drive them in.)

Ack. I had the same thought and a similar post written up, but then figured "Nah, I've never built a bench, what do I know?".

Sam Yerardi
03-05-2008, 11:46 AM
Thanks Mike! I too-well know the feeling :)

Tim Thomas
03-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Tim, you are a genius.

That's what I've been trying to tell my wife for more than 7 years! I'm going to have to send her a link to this post as "proof". :D

(Somehow, I doubt she would be amused...)