PDA

View Full Version : Now for a #80 Stanley scraper question.

Jim Dunn
03-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Can it be used to flatten or is it used mainly to remove tool marks. Seems to work a little? in the flattening area but sure works on figured maple for finishing, in fact better than my Makita planer.

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Jim, if thats a table top you're flattening, you'll be fine. If it were for joinery, I'd be more hesitant, just because of the size of the sole of a scraper. Hard to get a flat face with a small soled tool.

Nice looking maple too.

So what, you didn't get any snow out there? After shoveling, I'm too tired to go downstairs.

Jim Dunn
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Gary it's going to be the top for the pencil cabinet. Book matched hard maple I bought about 6 years ago. Been setting in my basement every since waiting on a band saw to do justice to it.

Gary at 58 my wife won't let me shovel snow, guess that proves she still needs me for something. Now if she'd just tell me what it is.:)

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Like I said, nice looking maple and for that application, a scraper will do ya just fine.

The wife was just asking how much snow I moved out of the driveway. My guesstimate is about 35 cubic yards. No wonder I'm tired.

Mark Stutz
03-04-2008, 11:01 PM
Gary, if you had just waited till tomorrow, most of it will be gone! That's what I did!:D

Mark

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah Mark, that's why you do what you do and I do what I do. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box.