PDA

View Full Version : Which jigsaw is the best bang for the buck?

Archie England
03-04-2008, 10:21 PM
I never seem to get my purchases right. I buy the deals, that's the cheap stuff--only to buy replacements way too often. So, had a Craftsman, then a Freud. Neither was that bad...but what's the last jigsaw that I need to buy?

Any suggestions will be appreciated; however, I'm not rich, so the more reasonable, the better.

thanks!

James Waters
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
The bosch gets my vote. I bought a 1590 a few months back. A little more piicey than some of the others but WOW what a difference. I tried the cheaper ones before I bought this one. Spend your money wisely the first time and you will not regret it.

Terry Sparks
03-04-2008, 10:44 PM
You would be doing very well to buy the Bosch 1591EVSK.

Tanner Sammons
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Festool Trion PSB 300 EQ for me. I have used the Bosch and really like it too. Either way you go, I would opt for the barrel grip. I feel it gives me much more control and finesse.
Good luck on your purchase!
Don't forget to post your pics after the purchase.

J. Z. Guest
03-04-2008, 10:50 PM
You would be doing very well to buy the Bosch 1591EVSK.

Ditto ^

You have already spent more than $100 on jigsaws, I bet. It is time to stop "saving money" and buy the good one. ;)

Buy the Bosch 1591 and sell the Freud and Craftsman to recoup some $$.

If you feel that is too much money, go and price the Festool jigsaws. Then it will feel like a bargain, hehehe

Mike Heidrick
03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
1590/91 is great for around $158

But for $118 you can get a 1587AVSP Progessor which is a fantastic model as well.

I own the Milwaukee 6268 but it is priced like a 1590.

Kev Godwin
03-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I bought the Bosch 1587 before the 1590/91 were available. The biggest difference is the ability to change blades in 2 seconds vs. 15 seconds. You will likely have any of the Bosch unit to pass on as heirlooms.

Gary Keedwell
03-04-2008, 11:11 PM
Bosch...nuff said....

Gary

Joe Vincent
03-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Before I bought my Bosch 1590 or 1591 (they're the same tool, just different handles -- I have the top handle one and can't remember which model number that is of the two), a jig saw was something I really didn't look forward to using because the cuts were not too good and the blades were a pain to change. Now I look forward to using my jig saw and blade changes are literally a snap. Bosch has some really high quality T shank blades too. It's not cheap relative to some others, but it will put a smile on your face. It's that good.

Dennis Farmer
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
popularwoodworking has a review of the top saws. Here's the link
http://popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/335/jigsaws.1103.pdf

I have the older Bosch barrel style I've used it alot on both wood and metal with no complaints

John Browne
03-05-2008, 1:03 AM
Ditto Bosch 1590/1591. Great saw, very smooth cuts, you can use Bosch or Festool blades, dust collector is available for $15. Festool is nice but hard to see the blade when cutting and it costs a great deal more.

I always thought jigsaws were a joke until I go the Bosch. You won't regret it.

Randal Stevenson
03-05-2008, 7:59 AM
Yesterday I was looking for information on the dust collection accessories for my saw (older 1587 model), and I found on CPO Bosch's site, the 1590 (D handle) in the reconditioned state, was on sale for $119.

I thought the biggest difference was the quick blade change, but I was told that they had improved the blade support/tracking from the 1587 for use in thicker woods.

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2008, 8:13 AM
Bosch!! Cuts like a dream. I never thought of the jigsaw as a precision tool until I got the Bosch. It far exceeded my expectations.

Orlando Gonzalez
03-05-2008, 8:19 AM
Ditto on the Bosch. I have the 1591 barrel grip version. Great tool.

William Patterson2
03-05-2008, 8:29 AM
Bosch is an excellent companies with excellent customer care before and after the sale. I own the 1617EVS router and I bought the first models which had the Magnesium base which oxidized terribly. I sent the router in to one of Bosch's service center's and they replaced the base free of charge with the newer aluminium alloy bases. I am sure there are other companies that offer similar service but in this day and age, I think customer care such as Boschs' are the exception and not the rule. All that said (sorry for rambling), I would recommend any Bosch tool.

Personally, I bought and use the Grizzly Jig Saw. The jig saw does what you need and the price is very good. There is no automatic release and you need to use the screwdriver that came with the tool to change blades. I bought the jig saw before Bosch switched out the router base on my 1617EVS. If I ever need a new jig saw, I will buy a Bosch. No question. Almost forgot. I also own Bosch's 3HP Plunge router - another great tool.

Tim Allaire
03-05-2008, 8:37 AM
Bosch 1590 HANDS DOWN!!!

Peter Quinn
03-05-2008, 8:41 AM
If your price conscious get a bosch. 1590 is the big one, more power handles bigger work. 1587 is a little smaller but weights 1/2 as much, better for light/verticle work and triming in the field. Either way can't go wrong.

If your feeling flush get the festool. Nice machine.$$$$$

oh, and don't be a cheapo you! Better to cry once and buy good tools than to cry every day using crappy ones!

John Powers
03-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I'd get the top of the line Bosch. I found the barrel type too big for my hand but the handled model is great. I have the early model I think where you unlock the blade by pulling up a thing on top front of handle and giving it a few turns. Mine does pull out but I think the new ones are different. Great saw.

Danny Thompson
03-05-2008, 10:51 AM
No doubt. Get the Bosch. Stunning performance.

jason lambert
03-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Bosh I had it no complaints great jig saw. I now have the festool just because I like festool, the dust collection and features are a bit better I think. Eithor or they are really the two to look at. I was just sawing 1/4 plate steel at the slowest speed with my festool this past weekend and couldn't slow it down, it impressed me.

Dar Lounsbury
03-05-2008, 1:44 PM
Never have I seen so many people AGREE on a given topic. They are correct, Bosch is the way to go. Have 2, top and Barrel handle. I prefer the top handle but either is very good.

Dar

Deck Reagan
03-05-2008, 1:50 PM
Bosch!

The Bosch blades are the best too!

Jerry Olexa
03-05-2008, 2:31 PM
BOSCH....Best I've ever had/used

J. Z. Guest
03-05-2008, 4:10 PM
popularwoodworking has a review of the top saws. Here's the link
http://popularwoodworking.com/upload/contents/335/jigsaws.1103.pdf

Thanks for the great link Dennis. Too bad it doesn't have the 1590 series in it. I could have sworn there was a new one since then. I think it was in one of those special tool review magazines, and I think they recommended the Bosch 1590 series as well.

The above review as good comments on the Makita & Milwaukee, which are still current models.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-05-2008, 5:01 PM
Bosch unless DC is terribly important to you then Festertool.

Pete Stack
03-05-2008, 5:25 PM
I was in the market for a new jigsaw and heard great things about the Bosch 1591 on this website and another woodworking magazine, so I took the plunge and bought it.

Oh. My. Gosh!

I had no idea what a good jigsaw could do until I used this thing. Just for kicks, I took it for a spin in a scrap of 3/4" oak ply. Smooth cut, no displacement. A fine, fine tool.

Terry Sparks
03-05-2008, 5:55 PM
I was in the market for a new jigsaw and heard great things about the Bosch 1591 on this website and another woodworking magazine, so I took the plunge and bought it.

Oh. My. Gosh!

Or did you mean to say: Oh my Bosch? :p