PDA

View Full Version : New Router

Marc Prudhomme
03-04-2008, 9:15 PM
I have been looking at the Bosch 1617EVSPK Router kit.Is this a good router package.I wil be using it primarily for a router table.
Marc

Joe Vincent
03-04-2008, 9:25 PM
I have the DeWalt 618 package of a motor and 3 bases (traditional fixed, D handle fixed, and plunge) but I understand that Bosch is very nice. The D handle for the DeWalt swung it for me (I can still have a fixed base to use outside the table while I keep the traditional fixed base in the table). Keep in mind, however, that the DeWalt and Bosch are both 2.25 horsepower routers and you really should use a higher HP router in a table if you are spinning larger bits (such as frame and panel bit sets). I'll likely get a larger router when I get a cabinet door set.

Anthony Whitesell
03-04-2008, 9:40 PM
I love my 1617EVS. I purchased the kit with the edge guide and then the Rousseau lift and a separate motor. The speed control is great and runs really smooth. The kit comes with lots of great stuff and essentials.

I have found two draw backs. One for hand held use and one for table use. Using it hand held, to use guide bushings either requires you to by the Bosch propreitary guides or their adapter ring to use the Porter Cable style. In use in a router table enclosing the head of the motor has an issue. The motor creates so much cooling suction that the dust gets drawn into the on/off and speed control switches. Bill Huber has a great design for dust collection. Check out http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76384 for is design. (Thanks Again Bill) If you're not enclosing the motor, then there's no issue.

Also keep in mind that this router uses a two-wrench collet system, so depending on the lift, bit changes may be a tad clumsy. Woodpeck.com offers offset wrenches to help with this (http://www.woodpeck.com/offsetwrenches.html). I'll get atleast the 16mm the next time I order from them. It's not annoying enough to place a special order for just the wrench.

From your profile I can't tell where you're located. But I will mention that At East Coast Lumber in Hampstead, New Hampshire, the Bosch 1617EVSPK+ (which is the 1617EVS with the edge guide) is on sale for $219 according to the flyer I received today.

For a frame of reference, my other router is an old 1/4" only Craftsman and I have had my Bosch router for about 2 years with no problems. Well, other than the fact that if the motor in the fixed base is knocked off of a 36 inch high workbench on to a concrete floor and it lands on the base, the base will break. (but the motor still runs strong) You can probably guess how I know that.

Peter Quinn
03-04-2008, 9:48 PM
I have the Bosch 1617EVS kit. It is a very nice router and works in a table. There is a minor glitch with the on/off rocker switch...it is not a sealed switch like most use. In a table the tool sucks in fine dust that falls on it and grounds out eventually. I have a small metric torx repair kit now and have become very adept at cleaning out the switch. Undertable dust collection may solve or curtail the problem. After searching the web I realized I was not the only one having this problem, don't know if they have solved it.

Otherwise its a fine tool both above and below the table. Both bases work well.

Mike Heidrick
03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
For a table dedicated model I like my Milwaukee 5625 and had a 7518 PC which was awesome. The are flagship table routers in my mind.

For multi base use (above and below) I like my 618 Dewalt setup. The 3 base kit gives you a fixed base to leave in the table and a D handle fixed and a plunge to use in above table. I own two of these sets and leave one plunge base mounted with a Jasper Jig dedicated.

Eric Haycraft
03-04-2008, 11:53 PM
I have been looking at the Bosch 1617EVSPK Router kit.Is this a good router package.I wil be using it primarily for a router table.
Marc

For a dedicated table router, look at the freud 3hp model. The 3HP is a single base plunge model with microadjuster.

If you want one that you can remove occassionally, look at their 2.25HP model. That has two bases and is a nice model also.

I mention both of these because they both have above table height and bit changes and are really designed with tables in mind.

Mike Henderson
03-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I have the Bosch 1617 and I do not think it's a good router for a table. The reason is the way the fine adjustment works. On the 1617, the router "locks" into detents. Once you lock it into a detent, you can use the fine adjustment to raise or lower the bit. The problem is that the fine adjustment is limited and you occasionally hit the limit. When that happens, you have to go under the table and move the router to the next detent. This screws up the postion of your router bit and you have to start all over again adjusting it.

I use the 1617 for hand held use and use a PC890 in my table. On the 890, the fine adjustment goes the whole range of adjustment so you never hit the problem I described above.

While the PC 890 is a good router, there are many others that are also good. But think about usability. When you hit the problem I describe on the 1617, it'll upset you quite a bit - it's good for generating salty language.

Mike

[Of course, if you're going to use a separate router lift, the problem I describe doesn't happen. But I'm cheap and want to use the base and adjustment that comes with the router.]