PDA

View Full Version : Question for pen turners

matt nunn
03-04-2008, 8:34 PM
I have a 25 year old lathe with a #1 mt. I have collected enough materials to try pen turning. The 7mm mandrel I bought does not lock into the tail stock. It appears to turn true. With no tail center points added, it seems to fit pretty close but, has some play in it. The mandrel has a threaded tail center end but my lathe (and the live center from woodcraft) with the original tail center (also a live tail center) does not lock into it in any way. I assume I need a tail stock center that will screw into the mandrel. Ive never turned anything this small before. Any ideas??

David Wilhelm
03-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Matt your mandrel should fit into your #1 morse then slide on your bushing then your blank then another bushing then another blank then another bushing, you will more than likely need one more bushing someone to bottom out your threads. your thumb nut screws on next tighe enough to keey every thing from spinning while you are turning your blanks to size. the end of your mandrel shoudl have a dimple in it. pull your tail stock up and bring your live center into contact with solid pressure into this dimple not too much or you will bow your mandrel. Just snug it up and lock her down. Make sure your that your drive spur and live center points line up before settign up your mandrel and you'll have better luck. hope this help.

Mike Vickery
03-05-2008, 10:59 AM
THe penmandrel should have an indent in the end towards the tailstock. You are supposed to use a 60 degree live center in your tailstock that goes into that indent.
Most wood lathes do not come with a 60 degree live center, they are mostly for metal work. Which if you think about it that is what your mandrel is.

David Walser
03-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Matt,

As the others have said, the threads on your pen mandrel are NOT for securing the mandrel to your tail stock. Instead, the tail stock serves two purposes: First, it keeps the mandrel from working its way out of the headstock. Second, it supports the mandrel to keep it from whipping about as you turn. To accomplish these to purposes, you need to first, firmly insert the mandrel in your headstock (with the blanks and bushings installed). Then, bring your tail stock's live center into LIGHT contact with the dimple on the end of the mandrel. When I turned my first pens, I gingerly inserted the mandrel into the headstock. When I tried taking a cut, the blank stopped turning. So, I used the tail stock's quill to force the mandrel into the headstock. I ended up bowing my mandrel and the bodies of my pens were not round, they were oval. It's an interesting effect, but I don't recommend it.

By the way, Craft Supplies USA express shipped me a new mandrel when I called to inquire what I'd done wrong. They refused to accept payment for the mandrel or the express shipping (they sent it express because it was just a few days before Christmas), even though I'd ruined the mandrel so it shouldn't have been a warranty issue. Very good customer service.

matt nunn
03-05-2008, 2:14 PM
Thank you for the information. Looks like I do have it all, just didnt know what the heck I was doing! Now to find some time to give a spin, again, thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2008, 3:48 PM
Matt, Penn State Industries has a free pen turning DVD. That will give you some insight into pen turning. I would also recommends a couple of books by Barry Gross or Dick Sing.

Rick Gibson
03-05-2008, 4:09 PM
Matt Woodworking on line has a 1 hr podcast on penturning you can either download or watch on line. It's 200MB so you better have high speed. They go from start to finish of making a couple pens. You can see it here.

http://www.woodworkingonline.com/2007/10/09/podcast-26-turning-pens-on-the-lather-from-start-to-finish/

robert hainstock
03-05-2008, 5:25 PM
You might want to check the morse taper onthe headstock for just what number morse it is. Your mandrel and other assecories should be #2 sounds like maybe the headstock could be #3. :eek:
Bob

Steve Mawson
03-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Good luck, you will learn fast once you get going. This is a great place to get all the "hows this work" answered.

RL Johnson
03-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Matt
The threads on the end of the mandrel is for a brass "nut" for thightening the pensblanks and bushing to keep them from spinning on the mandrel. You should have a knurled round brass "nut" to thread onto the end of the mandrel. Best of luck and welcome to the vortex.