PDA

View Full Version : What do you make $$$ on

Kevin Proaper
03-04-2008, 7:09 PM
I have been making heirloom boxes and selling/placing at some shops locally and making a few dollars on. Nothing super complicated but nice woods with good execution and they are selling pretty well. I was wondering what you may be producing that sells in your area?

Charles Green
03-04-2008, 7:27 PM
Small cabinet and built in jobs are the only things I've made a good profit on. The type of job a big cabinet shop doesn't really want. If you find people looking for that one cabinet that fits just right in there laundry room or pantry drawers added to preexisting cabinets.

I only do a few jobs when they come around for tool and wood money so I don't actively seek work. I actually have found myself turning it down with more frequency than I used to. I don't lack any large tools anymore and have been able to buy some festool stuff recently.

Now I'm doing what I enjoy. Building some dump trucks for my son.

Dale Osowski
03-04-2008, 7:51 PM
Fireplace mantels and Nakashima inspired tables. The mantels I work with are the beam/slab type.

Dale

Paul Fannin
03-04-2008, 7:58 PM
Charles, I like your approach. Taking on the small job that larger shops would turn down.

How did you get the word out, other than word of mouth?

Michael Wildt
03-04-2008, 8:27 PM
Looks real nice. What kind of wood is it ?

Michael

Dale Osowski
03-04-2008, 8:32 PM
Looks real nice. What kind of wood is it ?

Michael

Thanks,

African Mahogany with Wenge inlay strip.

Pat Germain
03-04-2008, 9:01 PM
That's a stunning mantel, Dale. Is it solid mahogany, or a veneer? I'm thinking a similar piece would look great over my fireplace.

Also, it looks like I'm not the only biscuit with a flat panel TV above my fireplace.

Terry Sparks
03-04-2008, 9:04 PM
I bought my first table saw 3 years ago and soon afterwards my wife asked if I could cut up some plywood to make a frame for a head board that would be upolstered and then sold to a client of her interior design bussiness. I have been making head boards ever sense, and even though I don't make enough of them (1-3 per month) to quit my real job, making them has paid for every tool I have in my shop. Nowdays, my wife has started asking for sold wood head boards, of which I've been making with a jig saw and router table templates, which works fine, but I think after this next job is done, I'll be in the market for a band saw. After that is bought, I think I will start making real money...well, then again, I could just keep buying more and more toys!:D

Karl Brogger
03-04-2008, 9:10 PM
Entertainment centers and bars are my most profitable product/market. People seem to pay whatever you want for them. Kitchens are very cut throat. As far as what part of a project is the most profitable I'd say drawers, then doors. Quick and easy, and it adds up in a hurry if there is alot of doors and drawers. I've done real well with panneled ends as an upgrade as well.

Dale Osowski
03-04-2008, 9:19 PM
That's a stunning mantel, Dale. Is it solid mahogany, or a veneer? I'm thinking a similar piece would look great over my fireplace.

Also, it looks like I'm not the only biscuit with a flat panel TV above my fireplace.

Thanks,

The mantel is solid. If I recall it is 10" deep 8' long and 3.75" thick. It is supported with steel rods drilled into the mantel and studs.

Toney Robertson
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I have been making heirloom boxes and selling/placing at some shops locally and making a few dollars on. Nothing super complicated but nice woods with good execution and they are selling pretty well. I was wondering what you may be producing that sells in your area?

MAKE money, what's that.

I thought the whole idea was to spend all my money on tools so that after I die the wife can have one hell of a sale and all you guys can pick over my shop.

Make money - I never got that memo.

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Pens, bowls and small flatwork pieces. It's just a hobby for me so anything that feeds the habit is fine.

Stephen Edwards
03-04-2008, 10:43 PM

I do pretty well part time with small job custom bars, small cabinets, a few dining tables, and odds and ends tables and boxes. I'm in agreement with the gentleman that said kitchens are too cutthroat. I like the small jobs that big shops don't want.

Below are some photos of cedar bar job in a basement rec room that I recently completed. Like you said, nothing real complicated but nice wood and well executed, IMHO. The customer's happy and I'm happy!

Stephen Edwards
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Your mantel is gorgeous. I like the choice of woods and the simplicity of the lines. It looks great!

Charles Green
03-04-2008, 11:58 PM
Charles, I like your approach. Taking on the small job that larger shops would turn down.

How did you get the word out, other than word of mouth?

I didn't have to get any word out. As soon as you do some work for yourself and people see it they will want it. With just a small circle of friends, I get asked to do more work than I would like. My wife does tend to try to volunteer for jobs. Lately, I have tried to price anything so it includes the price of me buying doors instead of building them. While I like to build doors for myself, I seem to feel different about a project for someone else and motivation can suffer.

I am definately not the guy to ask if you are looking for steady work. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Vijay Kumar
03-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks,

The mantel is solid. If I recall it is 10" deep 8' long and 3.75" thick. It is supported with steel rods drilled into the mantel and studs.

Dale,

Great work.

Can you give me some details on the steel rods. What is the diameter, how long.

How do you embed them into the studs and the mantel. Lastly how many do you use.

Vijay

Dale Osowski
03-05-2008, 8:05 AM
Dale,

Great work.

Can you give me some details on the steel rods. What is the diameter, how long.

How do you embed them into the studs and the mantel. Lastly how many do you use.

Vijay

I use 3 rods, one in the center and one on each end. The rods are 3/4" and are cut to go in 2/3" the depth of the mantel plus the depth of drywall and stud (3" - 5"). If the mantel is to stay I will epoxy the rods into the mantel as well as the studs. If the mantel may be removed (some home or condo owners like the fact they can take their mantel with them if they move, or perhaps a remodel) I will drill the outside holes off center in the mantel and use no epoxy. I still use epoxy in the stud holes but theave the mantel holes dry. The off center outside holes allow for a tight fit when installing the mantel but also leaves the option for removal.

Dale

Peter Quinn
03-05-2008, 8:28 AM
For me its been a mixed bag of small custom jobs this year. Left my full time gig making interior doors to be a stay at home dad. Made arch top storm windows, a window bench seat, big radius window casings for a recording studio, handful of cabinet doors in butternut (turns out they don't sell B'Nut doors at the BORG!) Made a set of garrage doors for LOML. No cash payment for that one.

Made a mantel "Rush Order" the week before christmas for some friends, I guess everyone does that once. They had asked about it in Oct., gave them a price, said they could get a chinese import over the internet cheaper, I said GO RIGHT AHEAD! PLEASE DO! Turns out the internet model was crap, wouldnt fit their raised hearth, couldn't be scribed to fit...etc. Course I knew this would happen, I asked em "Whats wrong, they didn't send a Chinese guy in the box to customize it?

I look for work big shops won't touch and Borg can't do. Need 1 arch top qrt sawn white oak entry door? I am your man. Need 25 6 panel paint grade passage doors? Not your man! Need anything made of particle board? Not your man!

Jeff Heil
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I have done well with sofa and endtables bookcases and custom fireplace mantels. I use profits to buy more tools and project wood for personal projects. I do one or two juried art shows a year and have had more than enough to keep work to keep me busy.

http://webpages.charter.net/jeffreyheil/hww/12SofaTables/QSWhtOakCabinetRed_0426-1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/jeffreyheil/hww/12SofaTables/OakSpindleSofaTableWithDraw_0309.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jeffreyheil/hww/12SofaTables/SofaTableMapleInlay_0559.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jeffreyheil/hww/Bookcases/Bookcase2self_0818.jpg

Kevin Proaper
03-05-2008, 6:39 PM
Thanks for all the ideas here is my latest effort. Cherry sides, flamed maple top, ebonized walnut for legs, handle, and banding.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/whitestrat/100_3909.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t265/whitestrat/100_3910.jpg

Vijay Kumar
03-05-2008, 9:00 PM
Thanks Dale. I recently did a mantle but boxed it over an existing mantle, so it was a a slightly different application.

Vijay

Jon Lanier
03-05-2008, 9:31 PM
I've been selling scroll art work and such and then started turning. Especially at the moment, pens. I make more in pen sales in a month than I do in 6 months of scroll work. Shame too... I love scrolling and will continue, but if I want to pay for my hobby, then pens and most likely bowls will be my better avenue.

Mike Schmalzer
03-05-2008, 9:48 PM
I make collectible pinhole cameras. I have sold them all around the world and the money is decent. Can't say I make enough to quit my day job but maybe some day. Most of the money goes back into more tools and wood for personal projects.

http://3rdeyecameraworks.com/images/pictures/612front.jpg

http://3rdeyecameraworks.com/images/pictures/69.jpg

Will Blick
03-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Mike, nice camera..... 120 film? Do you have a web site?

Kevin, can we see some of your boxes?

Judy Kingery
03-06-2008, 1:35 AM
Kevin, you've gotten some wonderful responses and very nice work by folks from the pictures! I too, tend to do what Gary mentioned, it's just a hobby for me, so it's fun. If it sells, great, if not, that's ok, too.

What I have found really sells, though, is something out of Mesquite here, which basically is free wood to us, abundant. Whether the city is clearing trees or whatever, readily available. Mostly what I sell are small bowls.

Best to you in your endeavors. Jude

Kevin Proaper
03-06-2008, 6:58 AM
Kevin, you've gotten some wonderful responses and very nice work by folks from the pictures! I too, tend to do what Gary mentioned, it's just a hobby for me, so it's fun. If it sells, great, if not, that's ok, too.

What I have found really sells, though, is something out of Mesquite here, which basically is free wood to us, abundant. Whether the city is clearing trees or whatever, readily available. Mostly what I sell are small bowls.

Best to you in your endeavors. Jude

Very much agreed. I put a post further up of one of my recent boxes.
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
I would like to get a lathe big enough to turn some large bowls, thats my next investment.
Thanks again.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-06-2008, 8:53 AM
Misery.
And it's profitable.

julie Graf
03-06-2008, 9:13 AM
although i like to do the larger stuff (actual furniture) i find the smaller stuff sells better. we make belt buckles and they sell like hotcakes to the 20-somethings.

my advice is find something unique but also appealing to wide tastes. easy said... ;)

Travis Gauger
03-06-2008, 9:46 AM
I have found that I am making the largest profits on Accessory pieces of furniture. End tables, hutches, dressers, etc. Things that match clients current furnishings. I also make a few projects a year that are geared towards a certain holiday or special event, such as jewelery boxes around valentines day. I also do a lot of garden benches and patio funriture through spring and early summer. By mid summer the market dries up though because right after the 4th of july when all the borg's start changing their displays over to Christmas stuff, the patio and outdoor furniture gets clearanced out. People have also been doing a lot of home upgrades lately, things like built ins, laundry room and closet organizers, etc. Some of this work is really enjoyable, and some is real tedious. My moto is the more tedious it is going to be, the more a charge to make it worth my shop time.

Eric Mims
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Nice camera, Mike. I made a 6x17 out of walnut and rosewood last year.