PDA

View Full Version : Old Iron, large plane

Randal Stevenson
03-04-2008, 5:54 PM
I received the new supertools list with this description, that partially made me think about Spinal tap:

An unheard of Bailey-style bench plane on steroids; when you thought yourself man enough to tame a #8,
here’s a longer one at an arm-busting 30” length;
dwarfing the #8 adjacent to it (in the photo), this
one is made up of early Stanley parts, and was found
in the New Britain area; it’s very well made and is
free of damage; weighs nearly a ton, it’s sorta the
woodworking’s version of Nigel Tufnel, when everyone
else is planing at 8, you’re planing at 11 (or
something like that); top:

Anyone have any idea as to whether something like this, would be a display model/sample, or a non produced product?

Just thought is was cool.

Jim Koepke
03-04-2008, 6:40 PM
I received the new supertools list with this description, that partially made me think about Spinal tap:

An unheard of Bailey-style bench plane on steroids; when you thought yourself man enough to tame a #8,
here’s a longer one at an arm-busting 30” length;
dwarfing the #8 adjacent to it (in the photo), this
one is made up of early Stanley parts, and was found
in the New Britain area; it’s very well made and is
free of damage; weighs nearly a ton, it’s sorta the
woodworking’s version of Nigel Tufnel, when everyone
else is planing at 8, you’re planing at 11 (or
something like that); top:

Anyone have any idea as to whether something like this, would be a display model/sample, or a non produced product?

Just thought is was cool.

Stanley surely made some proto types, but without further elaboration there is not much way to know. The seat for the tote does not look right though.
The image is below with the big guy and a #8.

My brother still kicks himself and talks about the one that got away on him. It was a Griswold cast iron frying pan that was about 3 feet in diameter. He was not sure if it was a display model or for use in a larger facility. It was only $150.

If we only had do overs in life.

jim

Clint Jones
03-04-2008, 6:52 PM
Stanley surely made some proto types, but without further elaboration there is not much way to know. The seat for the tote does not look right though.
The image is below with the big guy and a #8.

My brother still kicks himself and talks about the one that got away on him. It was a Griswold cast iron frying pan that was about 3 feet in diameter. He was not sure if it was a display model or for use in a larger facility. It was only $150.

If we only had do overs in life.

jim

The reciever for the tote looks 100% accurate to the period that the plane was made. I figure type 2 or so. The type 2 Stanley planes (5 and larger) had squared off recievers for the tote to fit. All curves look identical to Stanley as do the small things that only someone who has studied a plane of that era would noticed. I would be suprised if it wasnt made by the SR&L Co. If it wasnt it is a VERY good copy. -Clint

PS the holy grail of Griswolds is a No.13 skillet with a spiderweb logo on the back.

Bruce Haugen
03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
can be found on Woodcentral hand tool forum. Rules prevent me from posting the link. Look for a post by Rob Lee.

Bruce

Ron Brese
03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I would certainly hate to have the job of lapping the sole on that plane.

Ron

Jim Koepke
03-05-2008, 3:03 AM
can be found on Woodcentral hand tool forum. Rules prevent me from posting the link. Look for a post by Rob Lee.

Bruce

I have searched for posts by Rob Lee and can not find anything with information on this or any plane. I did not read all the things he has written.
Can you give us a date or a tittle of the post?
I also see links posted here all the time. I thought it was that you couldn't post links to items for sale.

Maybe just synopsis of what was said?

jim

inquiring minds want to know...

Bruce Haugen
03-05-2008, 8:59 AM
#8 plane not big enough for you?, posted on Monday Mar 3, by Denis Chenard Rob Lee now owns it. (woodcentraldotcom handtools

I do believe there's also a discussion on woodnet.net

Bruce

Randal Stevenson
03-05-2008, 9:37 AM
#8 plane not big enough for you?, posted on Monday Mar 3, by Denis Chenard Rob Lee now owns it. (woodcentraldotcom handtools

I do believe there's also a discussion on woodnet.net

Bruce

I just read through it, and the only other information I see on it, is he thinks he has found another one.

But I did laugh at this reply:
"The big plane is obviously a low angle block plane sized to trim the endgrain of utility poles during installation"

I was tempted, but it would either be a decoration (not its purpose hopefully), or I would quickly drop it on my foot and break both.