PDA

View Full Version : WeldOn #3

George Elston
03-04-2008, 5:12 PM
Is there a solvent for weldon #3, I have a piece to repair that would be simple if I could get a glue joint apart without a chisel.

Thanks

Joe Pelonio
03-04-2008, 5:17 PM
That stuff is actually melting the 2 pieces of acrylic together, making the joint even stronger than the acrylic itself, so I'd have to say your only chance is to add more of it then try to separate the pieces quickly, but I doubt it will work.

Mike Null
03-04-2008, 6:07 PM
I think Joe is right. Your only chance is if you starved the joint to begin with. You may be able to force it apart.

The usual progressive light sanding and polishing will bring back the shine if you get that far.

Larry Bratton
03-04-2008, 8:10 PM
I believe Weldon #3 is solvent itself. It does what is says.."weld on". It's tough to get it apart unless you had a weak joint to start with.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 8:38 PM
So I dripped the stuff all over the acrylic....is there anyway to clean it off? And don't tell me flame polishing.....Frank won't teach me that yet.

Sanding?

Mike Null
01-24-2009, 8:42 PM
Steve

Not if you let it set for any length of time. I have had some luck wiping it off immediately with DNA.

It can be polished out but it's tedious.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 8:50 PM
Thanks Mike....I'll go give it a try right now.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 9:12 PM
Nope....guess I was too late.....it didn't work.

I have a dremel with polishing wheels.....do you think that would work?

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:28 PM
Jewelers rouge and elbow grease.. I think the only way to separate weldon#3 is with Saw#1..

Frank Corker
01-24-2009, 9:39 PM
Steve the acrylic is a lot harder than you think. I have polished out minor scratches from the surface but minor is the main word in this sentence. It's a devil to get it polished, even with flame polishing, especially if it is in the middle of a piece, on the edges it would. The weldon and other acrylic bonding fluids are intended to fuse them together... unfortunately it does just that. Your workload for saving it might be as expensive as doing it again.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 9:43 PM
Man, you guys aren't helping......why can't you give me an easy solution....I've got to get me one of those EASY buttons!

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:47 PM
Man, you guys aren't helping......why can't you give me an easy solution....I've got to get me one of those EASY buttons!

The 'Easy Button' in this case is probably what Frank said.. Toss it in the 'round file' and make a new one..

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 9:50 PM
....then can I borrow your Saw #1?

Bill Cunningham
01-24-2009, 9:55 PM
....then can I borrow your Saw #1?

Didn't they just release Saw#5 now :D

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I can't afford Saw #5......do you know if they make any of those cheap Chinese ones?

Oh, and a little tip I picked up today.......Weldon #3 removes the "frosted" look of cast acrylic.....so if you ever make a mistake....just dab a little Weldon #3 in the groove and it works just like an eraser!