PDA

View Full Version : Will this fit in at a lawyers office?

Larry Browning
03-15-2004, 11:20 PM
I am working on my first paying project. I am making a fancy bookcase for a lawyer at my son's firm. I figure I'm making about 50 cents an hour on it, but, hey I'm having fun and I didn't have to pay for the wood. I told him he will get it delivered when it's done. No deadline, and he agreed. Anyway, I thought I would post this for all to see before I started putting the finish on.

Terry Hatfield
03-15-2004, 11:30 PM
Larry,

Beautiful work!!! The case looked good the last time I saw it in person, but it really looks good now. Love the fluting. Excellent job.

t

Larry Browning
03-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Thanks, Terry. I was worried that I would have a tough time making the cove molding with the shopsmith, plus I had never made cove molding on the table saw before. It was suprisingly easy.

Terry Hatfield
03-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks, Terry. I was worried that I would have a tough time making the cove molding with the shopsmith, plus I had never made cove molding on the table saw before. It was suprisingly easy.

Honestly, I'm really amazed that you did all this on your Shopsmith. I have enough trouble making something look good with dedicated tools. Just think how good you'll be when you get your cabinet saw and your big jointer!!!

t

Todd Burch
03-16-2004, 1:08 AM
Looking good Larry. How are you going to finish that cherry? Your joinery looks nice and tight. Shoot - I'll hire you and pay you $1 and hour!!

Roger Barga
03-16-2004, 2:08 AM
It's beautiful. Say, at 0.50 an hour, I hope you claim at least 16,000 "billable" hours for this project. Lawyers are pretty clever at billing their time, so they should understand some creative accounting on your part. thanks for sharing your work with us.

Rick Lasita
03-16-2004, 5:52 AM
Larry, the bookcase is really nice. the moulding and the fluting really stand out, looking forward to seeing the "finished" piece. I just made a couple of cabinet's for the fabric shop my wife works in, nothing fancy, but what her boss wanted. Got paid too, unlike you though, I only made $0.25 and hour I bet, but did have fun making them. Great job.

Rick

Dick Parr
03-16-2004, 6:25 AM
Beautiful work Larry!

Tony Sade
03-16-2004, 6:32 AM
and I'd love to have it in MY office. Think we could work something out? Nice work. How are you going to finish it?

Kirk (KC) Constable
03-16-2004, 8:14 AM
Not only will the lawyer you're biulding it for be happy, the others will want one also. Time to raise your price. :)

That's the kind of piece that wold look good anywhere. Nice work.

KC

Larry Browning
03-16-2004, 8:30 AM
The client wants a very dark redish color to match his desk. I am going to be spraying on transfast dye stain and mixing my own. He gave me a drawer from the desk to match. I am almost there on the color, I think it needs a little more red. I will then just add a few coats of poly.
Should be done by the weekend.

Jim Becker
03-16-2004, 8:32 AM
Looks great, Larry. 'Can't wait to see the finished unit.

Jason Tuinstra
03-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Larry, I love the cove molding. Nice work. So if you require this lawyer's services, is he only going to charge you $.50 an hour? :D

Rob Littleton
03-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Larry, I love the cove molding. Nice work. So if you require this lawyer's services, is he only going to charge you $.50 an hour? :D

Beautiful work Larry.

and of course, if he gets injured while reaching up to get a book, he has the resources to take action ............ hehe

Nice work dude. I love that fluting and the crown moulding is wonderful

Ted Shrader
03-16-2004, 12:04 PM
Larry -

Glad you posted this prior to finishing. I see a problem! You are going to have to make one for everyone else there, plus all their clients. Better think about a realistic price.

That looks great! Did you get the plans somewhere or is that your design?

Well done,
Ted

Larry Browning
03-16-2004, 12:14 PM
I found the plans in an old Wood magazine plan book that someone gave me. I can give you more info on this plan if you want. Just say the word.

Larry

Eric Sanford
03-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Larry, I love that crown molding and beading at the top...gorgeous....makes a very elegant looking piece! Well done

Eric

Chris Oakley
03-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Larry:

As a lawyer, I can tell you that it will not fit in the standard issue office. I however have a taller office than standard and would be more than willing to take it off your hands ;)

That looks great. What issue of Wood?

Howard Rosenberg
03-16-2004, 1:16 PM
You've got great taste.
Howard
FWIW - I'm glad I refrained from any wise-guy lawyer remarks when I saw that your son's employed there!

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 1:54 PM
Tight...very tight, Larry!

About those billable hours...I am sure you have been dreaming about this design and how to get it to work.... :D

Kent Cori
03-16-2004, 7:55 PM
As an engineer, I hate to see such beutiful work wasted on a lawyer. Make sure you anchor it to the wall well. If he piles too many old law books on it and it falls on him, guess who he's going after. :D

Greg Tatum
03-16-2004, 8:07 PM
I found the plans in an old Wood magazine plan book that someone gave me. I can give you more info on this plan if you want. Just say the word.

Larry

It looks elegant even w/o a finish.....I would like info on the plans even if my skill isn't that good yet.

Regards,
Greg

Bob Lasley
03-16-2004, 9:23 PM
Absolutely beautiful work Larry. Great job on the fluting. I see Hatfield taught you how to clean a shop! :D

Bob