PDA

View Full Version : 12 CMS Blade

Dave Dionne
03-04-2008, 3:41 PM
Hey All
I am looking for a good working blade for my dewalt CMS this will be used primarily on 2X stock for picninc tables etc, I make a bunch of them during the summer month's (this years proceeds will buy a Steele city sander)
Don't know if I should invest in a high dollar blade but i do cut alot of miters that need a clean cut

Thanks for your help

Dave

Dave Falkenstein
03-04-2008, 3:50 PM
I use a Dewalt 12" CMS for building decks in the summer months. I have several blades, but I mostly use the Dewalt blades for cutting 2X lumber. I use a Forrest Chopmaster on a sliding miter saw I have, and it cuts beautifully for a very long time between sharpenings. I hesitate to recommend the Chopmaster for building picnic tables because of the cost, but it certainly is a fine blade.

Greg Cole
03-04-2008, 4:56 PM
Hi Dave,
For my exterior building stuff I hate to use a top $ blade too. Like the other Dave said, the yellow tool brand blades are fine for this task. If you make a sacrificial fence for the saw you can eliminate almost all tear out on the exit sides of the cuts.....

Greg

scott spencer
03-04-2008, 5:38 PM
Holbren's got the Oshlun line now, and they're a darn good bang for the buck from what I've tried....not a Chopmaster mind you, but well worth the price and should do a good job for what you describe. He's got this 60T full kerf (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3736&cat=0&page=1) for $36 shipped with SMC10 discount. He's also got the Amana line but I don't have personal experience with them.

Mike Spanbauer
03-04-2008, 6:03 PM
2x material, how clean a cut? As David mentioned, the Chopmaster is a superb blade, and what I have mounted on my DW708, but dang it's not cheap.

mike

Joe Chritz
03-04-2008, 7:04 PM
A Diablo blade would be good for work like that. The stock blade that came on my Dewalt did fine work when it was new and sharp and would also be a good choice.

I cut a few hundred 2x8 .40 CCA treated boards for a wooden basement with one. PT lumber tends to show bad or dull blades fast as it fuzz's at the cut sometimes.

I wouldn't go for a top dollar blade for doing lots of cuts on PT lumber. The stock blade and a handful of sharpening trips would be a wiser choice I think.

Joe

Jeff Miller
03-04-2008, 9:14 PM
Holbren's got the Oshlun line now, and they're a darn good bang for the buck from what I've tried....not a Chopmaster mind you, but well worth the price and should do a good job for what you describe. He's got this 60T full kerf (http://www.holbren.com/product.php?productid=3736&cat=0&page=1) for $36 shipped with SMC10 discount. He's also got the Amana line but I don't have personal experience with them.

I just got that very blade for my RAS and I am really impressed.........cuts like a $90.00 blade,seriously!!!

scott spencer
03-05-2008, 7:03 AM
I just got that very blade for my RAS and I am really impressed.........cuts like a $90.00 blade,seriously!!!

Yeah, they're surprisingly well made too, and have a good grade of carbide with generous teeth that'll resharpen many times.

Monroe Brown
03-05-2008, 7:34 AM
FWIW, I use a Freud Diablo 80 tooth cutoff blade on my DW705. I use it mostly on hardwoods and larger trim pieces. It leaves a clean cut for sure but tends to "suck" material into the blade.

I also found that the stock blade that came with the saw, a DW 32 tooth balde, does a very decent job on 2x and 4x soft woods.

MB

Matt Meiser
03-05-2008, 7:44 AM
I've got the Freuid Diablo blade they sell at Home Depot and a Dewalt blade that was part of their woodworking series of blades--not sure it is available any longer. The Dewalt is usually my first choice since it seems to cut a little better when sharp, most likely because it is a thicker blade. But the Freud works well too. I don't use my MS for much in the way of finished cuts for fine woodworking though.

Dick Strauss
03-05-2008, 1:57 PM
I never thought I'd say this but...HF has a very nice 12" blade for under $30 (at least the one I got works great). It is a 80 or 90 tooth blade (I forget) with copper plugs in the expansion slots. It looks like HF item #38545 (but with copper plugs). It gives a cleaner cut than the 80 or 96 tooth Dewalt blades that I have tried.

FYI-the blades with the copper plugs are not available online for some reason though they are available in the stores.

Dick Strauss
03-09-2008, 11:10 AM
I stopped by HF yesterday and got more info on their good inexpensive 12" CMS blade. It is a 96 tooth blade with copper plugs in the expansion slots and C-3 carbide teeth (I think it said it had a 20 degree bevel angle and a 10 degree hook angle). It is item number 46235. It is regularly $29.99 ($27.99 right now) but can be had for as low as $19.99 using coupons, etc.

As I said I've had good luck with this blade. Hopefully others will have the same experience and we can say we found a bargain.

For people in the Toledo area...they had 5 or 6 in stock at the Toledo store (on Conant/Reynolds Rd) as of yesterday.

By the way, I have no connection to HF.

tom holton
03-01-2009, 6:21 PM
Dick,

Have you noticed that the HF 46235 blade looks a heck of a lot like the Oshlun 12" 96t blade, p/n SBW-120096 ? I wonder...

Charles McCracken
03-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey All
I am looking for a good working blade for my dewalt CMS this will be used primarily on 2X stock for picninc tables etc, I make a bunch of them during the summer month's (this years proceeds will buy a Steele city sander)
Don't know if I should invest in a high dollar blade but i do cut alot of miters that need a clean cut

Thanks for your help

Dave

Dave,

Here's a blade that you may not have considered that makes excellent, nearly effortless cuts in 2X material:

Diablo D1244X

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AAWKDPPRL._SS500_.jpg

Chris Padilla
03-02-2009, 3:22 PM
I have a 12" CMT 96-tooth blade and a similar one from Freud. I recentlly scored a good price on a Forrest Chopmaster. All these blades have done very well on the CMS. Even the stock blade that came on my DeWalt CMS has done well.

I just got everything sharpened so life is good.