PDA

View Full Version : Atomic Art info?

Dee Gallo
03-04-2008, 3:40 PM
Did anyone lucky enough to go to the ARA show see if there was a booth for Atomic Art? Their website says they intended to get a booth. Anybody have any info on this process? It sounds intriguing.

Thanks, dee

Mike Null
03-04-2008, 4:03 PM
Dee

If you'll do a search here there have been several threads on the process. I didn't go to the show but I understand they were there.

The partnership arrangement they had with Thermark has apparently been dissolved.

I would advise you to look up the old threads if you have an interest in the process.

Craig Hogarth
03-04-2008, 6:19 PM
They weren't there, but Vytek had several demos which used the process. I remember there was a lot of fanfare when the first came out, but the cost of licensing, material and several other "rules" pretty much made it nearly impossible to make a profit from it.

Dee Gallo
03-04-2008, 6:28 PM
Holy crow! I'm shellshocked from reading the posts on this topic! I had no idea what it was, just ran across it on a random walkabout. Yikes! I guess I'll wait for the dust to settle before asking any more about it! I am surprised, though, that there has been no buzz about it in the several years since it was introduced. Must mean something, eh?

This forum is like having 10 big brothers, thanks!

- dee

David Lavaneri
03-05-2008, 7:45 PM
Dee,

Thom Price is working with Vytek thesedays, helping sell large format laser systems, but still very much involved in the evolution and training of the Atomic Art (AA) process. He and his son , Jesse, were in the Vytek booth, over the course of the ARA show.

In the samples I saw at the Vytek booth, I noticed an improvement in the vibrancy of color, over earlier samples I'd seen.

As Mike Null mentioned, the partnership formed between Atomic Art and TherMark, under the name Permanent Impressions, has been dissolved.

To say Atomic Art isn't for everyone, would be a gross understatement. In fact, Thom Price himself, has gone out of his way not to promote the process as a magic bullet at all.

If durable full color images on ceramic tiles is the goal (and it is for many people) there are other processes much better-suited to that end. Imagine Tile being one.

Large format images on select stone and glass items will most likely be where AA finds it niche.

I'm not a shill for Thom Price or the Atomic Art process, but I can say that the over-the-top mudslinging (you saw in the previous AA threads) toward Thom Price is entirely unwarranted and surely coming from those who've never spent a minute with Thom.

There will be people who make inroads with AA, but I doubt there will ever be a landslide of practitioners, but that's the way it goes with any process that takes more money than many people are willing to spend, as well as the time necessary to learn the intricacies of a burgeoning process.

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri

Dee Gallo
03-05-2008, 8:03 PM
Thanks for showing me the "other side of the coin", Dave. I contacted AA looking for more info related to my own potential use and got an answer the next day from Thom. The process does not do what I was hoping it could do, which is engraving and color filling in phenolic plastic all at the same time. I guess I'm sticking with the old hand painting process after all. But it was worth a look-see to find out.

I can tell you this, though, IF the process did what I need, the price would have been worth it and paid for itself in less than 6 months.

So get inventing you guys!

cheers, dee

David Lavaneri
03-06-2008, 12:19 AM
The process does not do what I was hoping it could do, which is engraving and color filling in phenolic plastic all at the same time.

Oh boy! I'll keep my ears to the wind and my eyes on the horizon for that one, but it goes into the "lofty goal" category.

There are some ways to deal with color-filling phenolic, but so far, not automatic.

:)

David "The Stunt Engraver" Lavaneri