PDA

View Full Version : tool for quickest walnut removal

curtis rosche
03-04-2008, 1:47 PM
what tool works the quickest on walnut i have a walnut dish that it hard as rock and the only thing that doesnt tear out was the round nose but it only takes off a little bit and after 5 min i have to switch to a different one because it got so hot it burnt my hand

Pete Jordan
03-04-2008, 1:54 PM
Curtis,

A bowl gouge is going to do the best but it must be sharp. If you are having trouble sharpining, go to Oneway.ca and then go multimedia and click on varigrind.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2008, 2:03 PM
The best tool? - - - - - - -A SHARP ONE:D;)

curtis rosche
03-04-2008, 2:29 PM
i had 2 really sharp 1/2 inch round noses and i switched them every 5 min because they got so hot i burnt my hands

Ken Vonk
03-04-2008, 2:50 PM
I just tried the Termite on a walnut box. It did a wonderful job on the end grain.

Ken

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2008, 3:33 PM
Bowl gouge will be your best bet. Besides, if you are turning with a scraper for 5 minutes before switching? That's exactly why it's too hot to handle. It's been dull for some time and telling you to sharpen it. :D

The cutting edge of a scraper on dry wood is really only good for about 1 minute (depending on wood type) before it needs a fresh edge on it.

I've turned a good bit of Walnut that was like yours...dry and hard. It's hard on the tools and on the turner, but many times well worth the effort.

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 8:47 PM
Curtis, what was the rpm?

Allen Schmid
03-04-2008, 8:59 PM
Curtis,
As others have said; sharp tools, a good gouge and patience. Take your time, minimal amounts per cut and patience...I have done some turning with dry walnut and it certainly can heat those tools quickly. It seems that even the shavings are ready to ignite!
Good luck and let us know how things progress.
Allen

David Wilhelm
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
try spraying it with soapy water then using a GOOD SHARP tool the cut just the wood that is wet. then spray again. and repeat.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Curtis as was said sharp tools are the key. I keep two bowl gouges sharp when doing such woods as walnut, black locust, etc. I also us a weight lifters glove because the chips get hot. I usually turn bowls such as walnut at around 1100 rpm when they are round and in good balance. That will help your cut to. With dry wood take lighter cuts. Don't try to take deep cuts like you would with green wood. As Allen said the key is patience. I guess I have never used a scraper on a bowl. Just never seen the need to.

Scott Lux
03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Quickest tool? Fire. Least control though. :p

Reed Gray
03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
If your tools are too hot to touch after 5 minutes, then they probably are dull to start with. Just touching them up with a stone, or diamond hone are not enough. You need to take them to a grinder. I use scrapers for all my rough out work on bowls. They work fine, and send the shavings up over my hand rather than across my hand like a gouge tends to do. Gouges will work also, but most of your roughing work is done with a scraping cut anyway.
robo hippy

Bill Wyko
03-05-2008, 2:36 PM
Once you have a sharp tool to work with you'll want to let the wood come to the tool. If you try to take off too much material you're right back where you started, a dull tool and tear out. Good luck.:)

curtis rosche
03-06-2008, 11:17 AM
the tools were sharpened to start with and once ground they were sharpened on the top with the dimond file..

just about ruined the peice today ill get pics later it had a huge catch and i broke the tool rest and it moved all 4 screws holding it on so i had to re-round it i then found i was turning a little to fast probably between 1200 and 800 way to fast so now im doing it really slow

Bill Wyko
03-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Have these tools been sharpened many times before? I'm wondering if the angle has been changed so much that it's causing the issue.

curtis rosche
03-06-2008, 1:26 PM
yes they have but they have been sharpened the same way by the same teacher and the grinder is set to the angle for the round noses because they get used the most

Scott Donley
03-06-2008, 3:34 PM
yes they have but they have been sharpened the same way by the same teacher and the grinder is set to the angle for the round noses because they get used the most'round noses" scraper or gouge? Sometimes things get lost in what we are calling our tools. A spindle gouge has a round nose :)

curtis rosche
03-06-2008, 7:54 PM
the one that is flat and the sides arent curved up

Brian Poor
03-06-2008, 8:47 PM
the tools were sharpened to start with and once ground they were sharpened on the top with the dimond file..

just about ruined the peice today ill get pics later it had a huge catch and i broke the tool rest and it moved all 4 screws holding it on so i had to re-round it i then found i was turning a little to fast probably between 1200 and 800 way to fast so now im doing it really slow

You are describing a scraper that has had it's burr removed after being ground.
That is why it is getting hot, because the chip is being torn from the blank, not sliced as a normal cut would be.

Once a scraper has been ground on it's bevel, it will have a tiny burr on the top edge - this is the cutting edge. If you remove it by honing the top with a diamond file, you are essentially removing what cutting edge there was. Now you are relying solely on force to tear wood from the blank and this is what generates the heat.

curtis rosche
03-06-2008, 8:53 PM
ah ok thanks hre are the pics of what happened t the tool rest well the stupid thing wont let me post them twice so youll have too look at the other post "help i need a tool rest(i broke one)"

Brian Poor
03-06-2008, 11:26 PM
my reply to your toolrest post was:

That is a cast steel post.
You will snap them off all day long if your tool makes contact with the spinning work prior to being firmly on the rest itself.The recommendations you've had here about getting one welded together locally from cold-rolled steel are something you should consider.

My own recommendations are to slow down, focus on your sharpening and to learn how to slice the wood; not try to rip it off the blank by sheer force.
Also, if possible, spending a little time watching an experienced turner would be helpful.

curtis rosche
03-07-2008, 7:29 AM
thats the thing though the tool was already on the rest i had been turning for a couple minutes. that would help but there arent really any around here as far as i know. i plan to slow down a lot i dont want to get bannned from the shop that would be horribly

curtis rosche
03-07-2008, 10:46 AM
i got it deeper and the stupid thing keeps ketching so im going to let someone else who is better at turning finish the inside for me this ppeice is really becomeing annoying every time it has even just a little catch the whole thing gets off center now. even if remounted