PDA

View Full Version : Microfence Edge Guide do you use it?

Michael Lutz
03-04-2008, 1:09 PM
I was looking into possibly getting a Microfence Edge Guide in the future, but I was wondering if you own one do you use it?

Mike

Frank Martin
03-04-2008, 2:12 PM
I purchased the edge guide and the circle cutting package.
I am also planning to use it with the Festool guide rail, instead of using the Festool adaptors.
Microfence is very well engineered and manufactured. It is a precision tool.

John Terefenko
03-04-2008, 4:47 PM
As mentioned a very well engineered piece of equipment and I use it for doing inlay work.

Doug Shepard
03-04-2008, 5:33 PM
One of the smartest tool buys I've done. I've never regretted it despite the cost. The circle jig and their plunge base for laminate trimmers are also well designed tools. Before their plunge base came out I bought a 2nd base plate from them that let me use either my router or lam trimmer with the edge/circle jigs. The only negative thing I can think to say about them is the circle jig pivot pin requires a rather odd size pivot hole - some 64th or 32nd size.

Bob Feeser
03-04-2008, 7:15 PM
I bought one after seeing the demonstration at the local woodworking show. I was so impressed that I chose the bar assembly that would fit the Makita D handle router, then opted for an optional bar assembly for the Freud RT-1800 as well. I was so impressed with the accuracy so tight that when he dialed in the width of the plywood groove, he tweaked it another .002 to allow for it to fit. Otherwise it would be an edge to edge battle. He calculated the bit width, then did some math to see what the difference in the width of the plywood was as compared to the bit width, and then moved it the difference plus .002 and it was a dead on snug fit. Accuracy at the top of the precision heap.

http://www.microfence.com/Images/Cover%20image.jpg

Mike Cutler
03-04-2008, 7:20 PM
Yep, I own one, and it works like a dream. It's a nice tool to have at your disposal.

Jim Becker
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Yea...awesome products. I use mine more often for circle cutting, but the edge guide is incomparably good contrasted to anything else I've seen on the market. Not inexpensive, but engineered wonderfully.

Doug Shepard
03-05-2008, 6:43 PM
...The only negative thing I can think to say about them is the circle jig pivot pin requires a rather odd size pivot hole - some 64th or 32nd size.

Well how's this for CS. I got an email from Rich Wedler @ MF in response to my comment on this thread:
....I’d like to clarify that the pilot hole diameter for the Circle Jig center pin is actually a standard 1/8”. We make the spike on the end of the center pin a slightly larger 5/32” so that when driven into the 1/8” pilot hole, a secure fit is assured.

I'll have to try that the next time I use it.

Mike Henderson
03-05-2008, 6:56 PM
I have both the circle jig and the fence. I don't use the fence too much (mostly use a router table) but the circle jig is wonderful - very accurate and easy to use.

Since Rich Wedler of MF may be reading this thread, I'll comment on a change I'd like to see made to the circle jig.

Often you want to cut something round, like a table, where you can't make a hole in the center for the pivot point. What I do is make a 3/8" piece of wood and drill a 1/8" (or 5/32") hole in the center of it. I put two lines on the piece of wood at right angles to each other, crossing at that hole. I use those lines to align the hole in the center of the table.

I glue that piece of wood to the center of the table, with cardboard between the wood and the table (so that I can remove it later without harming the table). I then put the MF center point in that hole and do the routing.

The problem with this setup is that the center point is 3/8" too high. When routing a large table there's enough flex in the system so that the router runs flat. But if I was routing a small circle, the router would be tipped slightly.

What I'd like to see MF do is provide a way to attach the pivot point that is 3/8" higher so that everything would be flat, no matter how small the circle being cut.

What do you say, Rich?

Mike

Steve Clardy
03-05-2008, 7:48 PM
Yes. Bought mine around 6-7 years ago at a woodshow.
Very well made tool. KInda spendy, but does a great job.
Originally bought mine to use with a 7310 router, then made an adaptor to use with a 690 router.

Jeff Wright
03-05-2008, 7:59 PM
I have both the circle jig and the fence. I don't use the fence too much (mostly use a router table) but the circle jig is wonderful - very accurate and easy to use.

Since Rich Wedler of MF may be reading this thread, I'll comment on a change I'd like to see made to the circle jig . . . . I'd like to see MF do is provide a way to attach the pivot point that is 3/8" higher so that everything would be flat, no matter how small the circle being cut.

What do you say, Rich?

Mike

Mike, put this on your birthday wish list; it'll do the job nicely:

http://www.microfence.com/pages/Circular%20Guide.html

Mike Henderson
03-05-2008, 9:25 PM
Mike, put this on your birthday wish list; it'll do the job nicely:

http://www.microfence.com/pages/Circular%20Guide.html
I know I can use the vacuum center but there are times when I don't have air. Also, raising the pivot point is likely to be a lot less expensive.

Take a look at the pictures. The first picture shows the whole circle jig. Note how the two rods that the center pivot rides on screw into the adjustment part (the piece with the MicroFence name on it). If that piece (the piece with the MicroFence name on it) was made higher, and had an additional two threaded holes for the rods, where the two additional holes were 3/8" higher than the present holes, I could just screws the rods into those holes and the pivot point would be 3/8" higher.

So that's what I'd like MF to do. Just make that one piece a bit higher and put two threaded holes in it 3/8 inch higher than where the other holes are (keep the other holes).

Mike

Doug Shepard
03-09-2008, 8:17 PM
I got to looking at the MF site a couple days ago and spotted something I didn't know about
http://www.microfence.com/pages/P%26PZoom/CenterBar.html
Anybody tried this? The circle jig is great but the 6" diameter (roughly) limit of the jig meant finding some other method (fly cutter, etc). This looks like a pretty worthwhile purchase.

Michael Lutz
03-09-2008, 9:03 PM
Doug,

I was looking at getting that when I purchased the microfence stuff, but I don't know how well it works. It works with the edge guide.

It looks like I will put this on the list of items to get.

Mike

Todd Bin
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Most of the outstanding quality issues have been discussed already. I would like to add that since you mention Festool. I use it with the OF1400 router. If you want to use it with the festool guide rail you must buy the circle jig as well as the edge gude. It's just how it works. I bought a festool systainer with the diced foam incert and it all fit nicely inside with a little layout.

Nice product. Once you see the demo you will be sold, but once you use it you won't regret buying it.

Doug Shepard
03-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Doug,

I was looking at getting that when I purchased the microfence stuff, but I don't know how well it works. It works with the edge guide.

It looks like I will put this on the list of items to get.

Mike

I just ordered one this afternoon. I couldn't quite grasp how it worked as when I see 2 round holes on things they make I tend to assume the stainless rods run through those. This screws on to the edge guide instead of one of the wooden fences which is how you're able to get the bit so close to the pivot. Makes sense now.

Steve Roxberg
03-10-2008, 12:52 PM
Mike,

MicroFence may already make what you need. They have an adapter that lowers the fence to work with the Pat Warner bases which are very thick.

Maybe you could use it to raise the bars instead of lower the fence.

Look on their site and check it out, I could also send you some photo's if you need.

Mike Henderson
03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Mike,

MicroFence may already make what you need. They have an adapter that lowers the fence to work with the Pat Warner bases which are very thick.

Maybe you could use it to raise the bars instead of lower the fence.

Look on their site and check it out, I could also send you some photo's if you need.
Steve - Thanks for posting that. I went to their site and looked at the adapter. They don't show it attached to anything so it's difficult to visualize exactly how it's used. If you have a picture of it installed, I'd appreciate you posting it.

Also, if you know how much offset the adapter provides, I'd appreciate that info, also.

The "bad" thing about putting the adapter on the router is that the whole MF mechanism is then suspended between the router and the pivot point, which would cause it to droop. It would be better if the adjustment mechanism (the heavy part) was riding on the surface, and only the bars to the pivot point were raised. But I could cobble up some support for the adjustment mechanism, I suppose.

Mike

Doug Shepard
03-11-2008, 4:22 AM
It would be better if the adjustment mechanism (the heavy part) was riding on the surface, and only the bars to the pivot point were raised. But I could cobble up some support for the adjustment mechanism, I suppose.
Mike

I think maybe you could make it work that way if you got the shortest rods they make (a few inches I think) and used that between the adjuster and adapter then screw the normal jig rods into the other side of the adapter. I looked at the MF pics and think it could work that way?

Steven J Corpstein
03-11-2008, 6:02 AM
Not sure if you guys know, but Micro Fence now offers a metric screw adjustment and scale. No converting when using metric router bits.