PDA

View Full Version : Spalted and use with food

ryan kelley
03-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I want to make a dinner set and was curious about the use of spalted wood. My question is will it make you sick, will the oil finishes that are typically used be enough of a protection, what should be used.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2008, 12:53 PM
I've seen several post of people not having a problem. I think if you sand it to a burnishing point(12000 Micromesh) and put multiple coats on then there shouldn't be a problem. I think the problem comes in when people get lazy and throw them in the dishwasher(Yikes!). Or get complacent and don't keep them coated. Just an opinion though.

Ben Gastfriend
03-04-2008, 3:09 PM
Some people won't use spalted wood at all. Others won't let it near food. But my opinion is that if you sand it nice and smoooth, a couple coats of SB finish should seal it up OK. Most likely, the amount of mold that's in the bowl that would ever come in contact with food is probably as much mold as there is naturally in some cheese.

Bill Stevener
03-04-2008, 4:21 PM
Some people won't use spalted wood at all. Others won't let it near food. But my opinion is that if you sand it nice and smoooth, a couple coats of SB finish should seal it up OK. Most likely, the amount of mold that's in the bowl that would ever come in contact with food is probably as much mold as there is naturally in some cheese.

Some mushrooms are good to eat and yet others will cause you to become the fertilizer for the ones that are not.