PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre Retires

Phyllis Meyer
03-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Great career-great guy! Sad day for Packer fans but as Bob Hope sang..."thanks for the memories"! Will look forward to seeing what he does next!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:D:)

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes, I read that earlier. There goes one of the good guys! Glad he got to go out on his terms, though I bet he could have payed a couple more years skill wise. Jim.

Joe Pelonio
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM
It's all the buzz on sports talk radio, mostly the timing, the day after the signing of Randy Moss by the Patriots. They say that Favre was urging the Packers to sign him and that it looks like he thinks without Moss the Packers were not likely to go to the superbowl so he decided to retire.

Of course that's what ESPN and local people here are saying, Favre has not been asked the question as far as I know.

The end of an era in football. Oh, and good news for the Seahawks.

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2008, 1:11 PM
He said, "I know I can still play", but could he still play like Brett Favre? He's got enough pride that, if the answer is no, he wouldn't want to.

I'm still wondering if that elbow injury he suffered against the Cowboys was worse than they let on, and wasn't getting any better. The symptoms they reported at the time sounded like there was some nerve damage.

Mark Patoka
03-04-2008, 1:52 PM
We were just talking at work today about how we expected to see him back and then it hit the 'net. To put his impact in perspective, to one full generation of Packer fans (my college age boys), he's the only QB they have ever known to lead this team.

It's been a great ride. I can just hear it now: "Do you think he retired too early?"

Chris Padilla
03-04-2008, 2:13 PM
I can relate/emphathize...went through all similar stuff when John Elway retired.

Brett is a great QB and I wish him well in his life after football. I do hope we see some of him. Elway still shows up on a few commercials here and there and he is often in the booth on MNF and other local (Denver) sporting events.

Brett is easily in the Top 10 of all-time but I'm not sure I can put him in the Top 5 just yet! :) I hear they are starting on his bust for Canton...first-ballot for sure.

Tyler Howell
03-04-2008, 3:19 PM
We talked it over and decided the world could go on with out us.
It's time.:rolleyes:

Phyllis Meyer
03-04-2008, 3:47 PM
Tyler, you are too cool! You will come to the Wisconsin creeker gathering (that I was going to have last year) I want to plan right? You can bring Brett if you would like, although I'm convinced you are much more interesting!

Have a great day! Happy Retirement to you and Brett!

Phyllis:)

Tyler Howell
03-04-2008, 4:25 PM
I'll try to make it Phyl.
Sorry we couldn't hook up last summar.

Belinda Barfield
03-04-2008, 4:57 PM
Sad day for all of us Packers fans . . . and yes that includes me. Just please don't let him show up on one of those commercials, you know the ones!

Greg Peterson
03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
What an incredible career. And how fortunate we Packers fans were to have such an amazing run with a truly great player.

To me, the stats and all the records Favre accumulated are secondary matters. I just enjoyed watching his youthful enthusiasm for the game on Sunday mornings and the occasional MNF.

So long Brett and thanks for all of the good times and wonderful memories.

Phyllis Meyer
03-05-2008, 12:06 PM
His smile and just a good old fashion "love for the game" attitude is what got me watching football! Yes it's a serious game, big tough guys and all, but Favre brought the fun back!

Greg Cole
03-05-2008, 1:26 PM
Not a big football fan here. But I am a fan of atheletes made from the same mould as Brett. He was one of the few individuals in the NFL that I would be a fan of regardless who he played for, what era he played in or how many rings he has.
FWIW, there's some good you tube compilations of him that are being passed 'round the 'net that are worth a few minutes..... if nothing else he's always a sense of humor and levity.
Certain individuals transcent their sports.... Brett is definately one for the ages and books. They aren't made like him these days.
I am a big hockey fan and Brett woulda been one helluva hockey player, other than not being able to skate :rolleyes:.LOL

Greg

J. Z. Guest
03-06-2008, 1:40 PM
He is my favorite quarterback. Since I'm from Chicago, that's saying a lot. I work in the far north suburbs, and there is quite a rivalry between Bears & Packers fans. I don't get involved. I like how he was willing to take a risk all the time, even if he got burned sometimes.

Like others have said, the fact that he is a good guy AND a great quarterback makes all the difference. I have no respect for the athletes that are great athletes by nasty human beings. It is the wrong way for a role model to behave.

Phyllis Meyer
03-06-2008, 2:53 PM
What a press conference! He wasn't the only one crying! Again...why we love him! True emotion, and love for the game! Class act!

Gary Keedwell
03-06-2008, 5:14 PM
Alot of "insiders" insist that he might have come back for one more year if he thought there was a chance for the Super Bowl. Having broken alot of the longevity records already...he said "why bother". Some say that he was disappointed that GB didn't pick up Randy Moss.
Gary

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2008, 7:45 PM
The other day I saw a bunch of video clips of him on the sidelines during games. He had that little boy smarta__ attitude and I liked that about him. He always was having fun. He's certainly in the top 10 qbs to have ever played and his enthusiasm for the game will never be topped.