PDA

View Full Version : Sealing Ceramic Tile

David H. Mitchell
03-04-2008, 12:10 PM
We engraved a 20" x 20" tile to be placed in the floor for a new business. After engraving we did a color fill with gold rub n buff. What should be used to seal the engraved area? The customer sprayed an acrylic sealer on it and it turned the rub n buff green, back to square one. Any ideas?:confused:

Thanks,
Dave

James Jaragosky
03-04-2008, 12:37 PM
We engraved a 20" x 20" tile to be placed in the floor for a new business. After engraving we did a color fill with gold rub n buff. What should be used to seal the engraved area? The customer sprayed an acrylic sealer on it and it turned the rub n buff green, back to square one. Any ideas?:confused:

Thanks,
Dave
I use a gold leaf filer pen all the time, and seal it with both lacquer and a clear cote glaze depending on the surface to be sealed. I never have color change issues useing Folkart clearcote extra thick glaze, the rattle can states it is usable with ceramic tile and I have found this to be true for me..
Hope you find a solution.
jim j

James Stokes
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
If you are going to use the tile in a floor I would use an epoxy paint on it instead of Rub & Buff. Either that or Lithacrome paint. I have used Krylon paint but prefer not to.