PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get wood in nj or mail order?

jason lambert
03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I live in Summit NJ and other than the borg and jager lumber which is $$$ and has limited selecton I can't find places to get exotic wood like ebony, etc. Does anyone know a place or should I mail order it and from where?

Al Weber
03-04-2008, 11:40 AM
When I lived in Somerville, I went to Willard Bro's near Trenton. They are a little bit out of the way but you should be able to get there quickly via Route 1. I don't have an address any longer but you should be able to find them easily. I'm not sure if they carried ebony but they did carry a lot of other exotics plus a great selection of domestics and all at fair prices. Besides, they were extremely friendly and helpful. Try this link for directions www.willardbrothers.net/DIRECTIONS.htm. It may be the right one.

Wilbur Pan
03-04-2008, 1:56 PM
You could try Monteath Lumber (http://www.monteath.com/lumber.html) in Old Bridge. They usually have some exotics there, and I'm sure that if they don't, they know how to get it.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-04-2008, 2:51 PM
Willard Brothers is a decent place, but they're about 1 hour from Summit. They are located just before Trenton about a 1/2 Mile off US Rt 1. They do mail order by the inch. But, when you go to their yard, it is by the normal board foot, and the prices are less since the don't pre-trim stock like they do for mailorder.

US Mahogany is another source. They are located right off the Garden State Parkway in Aberdeen. http://www.usmahogany.com/

Interstate Hardwood in Elizabeth was my favorite but they closed. However, the owner, Neil, has partnered with Jaeger Lumber somewhere at the Jersey Shore. Suffice to say, I've never been there.

New Jersey Hardwoods in Plainfield, NJ. They only carry common hardwoods that are rough sawn. I believe they sell wood only as a secondary income source to making custom millwork. The rough sawn lumber makes it difficult to see the grain, but they have some decent prices by the board foot. They will also plane it for you...I'm guessing for a fee.

However, if you're looking for great prices at the first two places, you will be disappointed. But they do have a nice selection.

-Jeff :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-04-2008, 3:26 PM
Cyrus R. Fox Inc.
P.O. Box 4991
11 West Main St.
Clinton, NJ 08809

John Terefenko
03-04-2008, 4:45 PM
I am in the Plainfield area and buy most of my exotics and domestics from US Mahagony. Great place. Monteath is also a great place but not as much selection.

Fred Voorhees
03-04-2008, 7:24 PM
Cyrus R. Fox Inc.
P.O. Box 4991
11 West Main St.
Clinton, NJ 08809

Cliff,

I am only about a half hour from Clinton and I have heard of Cyrus Fox, but can you tell me a little bit about them? Do they carry exotics and how are the prices? How about domestics such as oak, cherry and walnut?

Robert LaPlaca
03-04-2008, 8:08 PM
I lived in NJ for 45 years before relocating to NC. I lived close to Willard Bros., they were OK nothing to write home about..

If I was going to drive from Summit to Trenton, I think I would keep driving to Groff and Groff in Quarryville Pa, or Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA, both outside of Philly. You just have to see these places to believe it..

Ben Grunow
03-04-2008, 8:13 PM
Could try M L Condons Lumber in White Plains, NY (off I 684) but it might be too far. They have any and everything you can imagine (exotics, burls for turning, 5' x 20' sheets of 1" mahogany veneer plywood, etc- no 2x4s though) and cash/check only.

Jerry Kim
03-05-2008, 6:59 AM
Any good lumber places up north near Bergen county?

Quesne Ouaques
03-05-2008, 8:19 AM
If I was going to drive from Summit to Trenton, I think I would keep driving to Groff and Groff in Quarryville Pa, or Hearne Hardwoods in Oxford PA, both outside of Philly. You just have to see these places to believe it..

Yes, Groff and Groff is great there is no doubt, for both price and selection. Two other very good places that might be a bit closer are: Mr. Robert's Lumber in Barrington, NJ and Delaware County Supply in Boothwyn, PA.

The species selection is quite good at Mr. Robert's and the prices are moderately low. Delaware County Supply's selection is even better w/r/t board-feet of particular species, and the prices are great. One of the big differences that I've seen is that Robert's does not stock large quantities of certain hardwoods, so they are not my first choice for large furniture projects.

Dave Watkins
03-05-2008, 8:24 AM
Sorry Jerry, can't speak to any up north. The locals I have used are Willard and Montheath. Willard has improved in the last couple of years, it used to be that the shelves were rather empty but now they are usually pretty well stocked. They have a decent section of figured wood and some exotics. Prices are kinda high. Montheath (Old Bridge) is a longer drive for me but prices are better and they have a larger warehouse.

I don't shop for exotics so can't recall what's out there but wall lumber (NC) consistantly gets high makes as far as mail order is concerned.

Good luck,

Dave

Oh, another note an Willard - A man named Ru (can't remember his last name) took over management of the lumber and furniture divisions there a few years ago. He is the grandson of George Nagashima. He builds furniture out of slabs and there are usually several pieces on display there. Always fun to look at.

Prashun Patel
03-05-2008, 8:46 AM
Try Somerville Lumber. They're off 287 at the jct of 287 & 22. From Summit, it's probably a 20min drive.

If they don't have it in stock, they can order it.
-shawn

Noah Levy
03-05-2008, 8:57 AM
Every time i need wood, i check Willard Bros and end up leaving without buying anthing. Their prices are sky high and the qual is dead average. Def nothing to write home about. If you're looking for boring contractor quality hardwood you'll find it there. You better strap yourself in if you're 'gonna order some nice stuff there.

I'm remoding my bathroom and recently went looking for nice maple. Drove all the way out to Hearne, Groff, etc, and was suprised how little they had. I think you really have to call around and search woodfinder/woodplanet.

Greg Narozniak
03-05-2008, 9:45 AM
I have purchased from the following

US Mahogony - When we lived in Freehold this was my Primary supplier. they let you sort through piles, Hell they even used a fork lift to move stuff around so I could get at another stack. Good selection of Exotics, I have purchased Purple Heart, Rosewood, and Ebony from them. There Plywood on the other hand was very disappointing. I spent over $70 for a sheet of "Cabinet Grade" Maple ply and it had TONS of voids in it, looked like it came from the Borg. Dimentional lumber prices were very fair.

Willard Brothers Lumber - Trenton NJ Good selection of hardwoods. I bought all of my Cypress from them for outdoor projects, Lots of veneers, Nice people Prices are on the high side.

Hearne Hardwoods - PA Long drive for me but it was the only place I could find Pine when the project at the time called for it. HUGE selection, Worth the ride. They had SLABS of exotics, tons of hardwood. Very nice people to deal with. Prices were fair on the Pine and oak I picked up while there.

AGINCOURT - Hillsborough, NJ Since I moved to Hillsborough, This is my Primary supplier. Great people to deal with, They have a thousand acres in Virgina where they have a lumber mill and some gets sold there and some gets sold in NJ. Excellent selection of lumber, both Domestic and exotic, good prices and the best reason is only 5 minutes from my house :)

Mike Ruggeri
03-05-2008, 12:46 PM
I would think from Summit, US Mohogany is relatively close (well not too far). I personnally think it is an OK place and it is only 15 minutes from me. While I don't think it is fantastic, I think it is acceptable and convenient.

I would not venture to Mr. Roberts from Summit as they generally don't have large quantities as somebody else noted. The only reason I go there is when I need a small amount of wood when visiting my BIL (he lives 1 minute from there).

Some of my friends use Monteath and they have said they are OK, too.

M

Jerry Kim
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Any place for furniture grade plywood? I wouldn't mind driving far for quality stuff.

By the way, does anybody stock 1" ply?

rob meier
05-28-2015, 2:15 PM
You could try Monteath Lumber (http://www.monteath.com/lumber.html) in Old Bridge. They usually have some exotics there, and I'm sure that if they don't, they know how to get it.

I used to live in East Brunswick and Monteahth was 10 minutes from my house. They have great prices on raw lumber and exotics. They also have expensive cabinet grade veneered lumber at 150.00 a sheet(they are reseller so I wont beat them up over defects). I now live in Watchung and am in the same boat as you looking for a good hardwood lumber yard.

Jim Becker
05-28-2015, 9:08 PM
I'm of the opinion that since the quality of the lumber one uses is really important to the end result for a project, if one has to do a bit of a drive to get the "right material", it's worth every mile and every gallon of fuel to do it. If I only need something common and in smaller quantities, there are local places I might buy from, even if the price isn't ideal just for convenience. But when I want something special or I'm not really sure what I want for a project or I'm looking for something to inspire a project...I'll make the drive to Hearne or similar. When I first started woodworking a number of years ago, I did buy quite frequently form Willard Bros, especially during sales. I broke away from that for awhile because I was perceiving a drop in quality and quantity about that time. I believe they have really reinvented the business in recent years and I'll likely visit them again just to check things out. But Hearne remains my "candy store" for the "good stuff"... So my point is don't eschew a little travel if it's the right thing to do for your craft.

Robert Guice
02-03-2016, 10:03 AM
I like M. w. Quinn Hardwood Lumber:

M W Quinn Hardwood Lumber (http://www.manta.com/c/mmyscn0/m-w-quinn-hardwood-lumber)

Quinn M W Hardwood Lumber & Saw Mill 250 Oxford Valley Road
Yardley, PA 19067
Phone: (215) 493-6252

Not far from Sesame Place and Oxford Valley Mall, Oxford Valley, PA

A one man operation, no showroom but a nice selection of domestic and imported hardwoods, reasonably priced. Give Mike a call for details and availability.

Jay Nossen
02-03-2016, 11:15 AM
Any place for furniture grade plywood? I wouldn't mind driving far for quality stuff.

By the way, does anybody stock 1" ply?

I've ordered prefinished ply from Kuiken Brothers (http://www.kuikenbrothers.com/) in the past. Good prices and the delivery driver was able to shove a stack of 10-15 sheets into my garage without damaging the plywood or the garage. I think they will have 1" ply in stock (if not, they can source it in a few days).

Prashun Patel
02-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Quick gut check. Original post was 8 years ago....

Richard Shaefer
02-03-2016, 12:20 PM
Wood Boards and Beams in Pine Brook NJ right off of Route 46. Great place, epic selection, slabs, sheet goods, mouldings, exotics, cheap off-cuts.
I've known the owner since he started up and grew it into what it is now.
fantastic place, and good pricing, which they list on the website.
best prices are in the rough, not S4S

http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiA58a1BRDw6Jan_PLapw8SJABJz-ZWe1IvfO5OgQSd_qItyCJ_n_reDVzvJ42Jxcql-WZ0JhoCna_w_wcB