PDA

View Full Version : Best type of finish for ebony chin rest for violin

Scott Haddix
03-04-2008, 10:07 AM
A friend has asked me for advice on how to finish an ebony chin rest they got for their violin that came unfinished.

Anybody have a recommendation? Do you actually finish them or are they best left unfinished?

Lee DeRaud
03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I was under the impression they stayed unfinished...
or got a "hand-rubbed oil" finish under normal use, if you get my drift.

Sam Yerardi
03-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Typically if it is black ebony it is not finished but polished. Tradition is that the chin rest is black. Some chin rests are made of boxwood and most of them are dyed black. Rosewood has also been used. There are plastics, space-age materials, etc. that are also used. Typically, they will appear black due to their respective finishes or paint. One reason so many different materials are used is because of the allergic reactions some people have to prolonged contact with certain types of woods. You may see violinists lay a small cloth over the chin rest before they play and it is for that reason.

John Lucas
03-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Typically if it is black ebony it is not finished but polished. Tradition is that the chin rest is black. Some chin rests are made of boxwood and most of them are dyed black. Rosewood has also been used. There are plastics, space-age materials, etc. that are also used. Typically, they will appear black due to their respective finishes or paint. One reason so many different materials are used is because of the allergic reactions some people have to prolonged contact with certain types of woods. You may see violinists lay a small cloth over the chin rest before they play and it is for that reason.

Damn, all the years that I played, I thought I draped the handkerchief to adsorb the sweat.

Dan Lee
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Whenever finishing ebony I sanding to about 320, then use buffing wheels and compounds(white diamond and tripoli) followed a wax buffing.
Brings up a real nice luster
Dan

Scott Haddix
03-04-2008, 9:12 PM
I'm attempting to attach pictures of the ebony violin pieces in question.