PDA

View Full Version : Power Tool Question

Brian Schursky
03-04-2008, 8:54 AM
Hi Everyone,
Hope everybody is good?
Question just had a birthday and got a bunch of Homedepot gift cards. Is there any type of homedepot powertool that can act as both sander and polisher/buffer that is varible speed. I have a Makita orbital sander in my collection already.
Thanks Brian

Matt Day
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
I think you need to be more specific about what your needs/wants are and how you plan to use the tool, and you'll get some responses.

jason lambert
03-04-2008, 10:40 AM
I think a portable cable 6"ros will you can buy a buffing kit for it but it is a pretty aggrissave sander. I had one and it was a little to much for most work.

Tim Thomas
03-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Does your Makita sander already have a variable speed? If so, then you already have a sander that can be used as a buffer. The February issue of PW had a tip on doing just that. You just put a piece of heavy grit paper on your sander and then cut an oversized piece of heavy duty felt to stick to the bottom of that. The sandpaper holds the felt in place while you buff. Seems like it would work well as long as you make sure the felt doesn't slip out and that it is thick enough to keep the sandpaper away from whatever you are buffing.

Home Depot also sells some buffing bonnets that are meant to be replacements for the Ryobi buffer. You could cut out a foam disc to fit the bottom of your sander and then put one of these drawstring bonnets over the top.

Or you could just buy a new tool anyway. That is WAY more fun.:)

Brian Schursky
03-04-2008, 1:26 PM
Hey thanks guys. My Makita is a BO-5010K (?) I think without looking at it. I had got it a few years ago (Quickly) to work on a fooseball table. No it doesn't have a varible speed control. Makita makes a BO-5012 which looks good (It does everything) but I have to go to Homedepot. Online they don't carry it.
Brian

Brian Schursky
03-05-2008, 9:51 AM
Hi guys,
what do you guys think of the Makida Model #BO5012?
Brian