PDA

View Full Version : PC/ Mac e-mail attachments

Walt Pater
03-15-2004, 9:11 PM
Anyone,, what do you save a file as if you are on a PC and sending it to a Mac? Long story short: a client of mine just "upgraded" her Mac to OS 10. I own a PC, and have been e-mailing her my invoices saved as a ".rtf" file. Now that she has upgraded, she can no longer open my invoices. I thought the way to solve this problem was to send your file as a .html, but that option doesn't appear in my "save as..." box. Any suggestions?
I (obviously) am no computer whiz, but I do find that invoices are much more effective when they get to the client. ;-) Thanks in advance, Walt.

Dennis Peacock
03-16-2004, 12:09 PM
Walt,

A safe choice here is to save it in PDF format. This way, even someone on a raw Unix box can open it if they have the reader. :)

Michael Perata
03-16-2004, 3:41 PM
I am with Dennis on this. Everything I email is in .PDF format for security reasons. .PDF's can be read by Windows, Mac, Linux & Unix.

I have Acrobat 6.0 but it expensive, and extremely capable, at $449.00 MSRP.

There are .PDF creators that act like plugins to Word such as the following. I have no experience with this program http://www.fineprint.com/ but it appears to have a demo download available.

Diane Maluso
03-16-2004, 6:29 PM
Walt, I'm on a Mac and get attachments all the time from my students on PC machines. Using Mac OS 10.3, I have no trouble reading .rtf files. She might try first opening MS Office and then telling Office to open the file. Or, just try sending the file as an MS Word doc rather than .rtf. The idea about pdf files is the best but this idea will cost nothing and is probably worth a shot. good luck.

Diane

Tim Morton
03-18-2004, 8:09 PM
If you really want to impress your mac friend...have her drag the .rtf file onto her safari icon in the dock. The file will open in her browser. If she needs to edit it, then you can have her right click(or control click) on the file and navigate to the "open with" arroe and choose the "text edit" application. But if she only needs to read or print the file then the safari app is the quickest since that program will be most likely open all the time.