PDA

View Full Version : Help - Need Sketchup File Converted to EPS

Keith Outten
03-04-2008, 4:33 AM
Attached is a file that was sent to me that I need to cut on my CNC router. I need the Sketchup file converted to eps.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can convert this file for me.

James Stokes
03-04-2008, 7:18 AM
Try this. I opened in autocad and got an error message so not 100 percent sure it is all there.

Keith, I can not get it to upload, it is 119kb If you will IM your e-mail I will send it that way.

Brad Knight
03-04-2008, 7:29 AM
See if this works...???

Keith Outten
03-04-2008, 9:11 AM
Brad, your file is a bitmap, I need an eps file so I can cut the parts on my router but thanks for your help.

James, you can email the file to the following address:
keith-at-sawmillcreek.org

You have to have the registered version of Sketchup in order to be able to export to a dwg or eps file.

James Stokes
03-04-2008, 9:48 AM
Keith, I e-mailed the file to you as a corel file. Autcad will import sketch-up files.
I have heard a rumour that google is trying to buy autodesk and they are going to combine sketch- up and autocad in to one program.

Rob Wright
03-04-2008, 7:12 PM
Keith -

I used a ruby script (free) that is sketchup to stl - google it and it can be found. (http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/em_fil_page.htm)
Then I use STL_Util to convert the stl to a dxf. (again google that file and can be downloaded for free - included in the zip) the dxf can then be imported into Vcarve, etc.

The SU works best if the model is "flat" and components exploded. I usaully draw in 2d and add the "depth" in Vcrave

Also, a *.stl is a wire frame and due to the way that SU handles curves as segmented arcs - you end up with a bunch of triangles and flat spots. This is the best I can do...

Included the SU file, EPS, & DXF for ya

Rob

Keith Outten
03-05-2008, 8:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for your help. I am able to get the file into VCarve Pro now and will be able to edit it as necessary.