PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Choices? Help + RANT!!!

matt dumney
03-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi All,
I'm trying to put together a router table and I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I need this to do small boxes (dovetails and box joints) to cabinets to template routing. I want to use the Incra LS fence but I'm having difficultly figuring out what I need and where to buy AND who has the best price.

So far, it looks like Eagle America has the best price on the fence but I've got nothing to attach the fence to...MDF, phen, etc. I can hunt on the price but wow...so many choices. What to buy? So far, I've not been impressed with what I've seen. I looked at Bench Dog's table but it's too expensive. I thought about making one but I'm not sure this would be a good use of my time...too many projects.

Next I would want some type of leg system on the table...any recommendations.

Lifts are no better. I currently have a PC100 router and I know that it's too small for serious routing but would work in the beginning. So many choices for lifts, table plates...gee whiz!!!

I can't keep all of it straight.

Mark Singer
03-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a BenchDog top and fence and I still like it after many years

Paul Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 11:08 PM
After seeking recommendations here, I went with the Woodpeckers Cast Aluminum Router Plate in a Woodpeckers Router Table and built my own stand. I couldn't be happier.

Paul

Stephen Edwards
03-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Here's another good table top. These folks also offer free shipping all the time:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/router_table_fence.html

Every time that I've called them I get excellent and courteous tech support, too.

Eric Franklin
03-04-2008, 1:20 PM
Another recommendation on the woodpecker table.

jason lambert
03-04-2008, 2:17 PM
Look at the new kreg tables. I think that is the nicest one right now.

Bert Johansen
03-04-2008, 3:16 PM
It's the same old question--time vs money. If you have more money than time, purchase the top and router plate as well as a sturdy stand. Making your own is both fun and rewarding, as you can design it to your own specs and save money. I chose the latter, and made a hinged top. I found this to be a good compromise over a router lift, and you can easily upgrade your router when you desire.

Ken Miller
03-04-2008, 3:29 PM
"I thought about making one but I'm not sure this would be a good use of my time...too many projects."

If this is the case and you plan on using the Incra fence, I'm not sure if you're aware of the time it takes to learn how to use this effectively and efficiently. I would think that if time were of the essence and you're doing dovetails and box joints, you may be better off buying a dovetail jig, maybe the porter cable, that can also do box joints. While I have never used this type of jig, it is my understanding that there is less of a learning curve with it than with the incra fence (which I do have and know that it takes time).
Otherwise, for a fast router table, what really matters is the flatness of the table and the quality of the router plate. (And the fence but you already said the incra) You can achieve this with doubled-up mdf, a carcase to sit it on and the router plate.

Dave Falkenstein
03-04-2008, 3:43 PM
Since you are interested in the Incra LS fence, look at the package deals at Woodpeckers. You can get an entire router table from Woodpeckers, one piece at a time, or the whole thing at one time. When choosing a top for the LS fence, it is important to get a top that is sized properly. Having selected a fence, you have made one of the two big router table decisions. The second big decision is what router you will use. If you want to start with the PC router you have, then select a Woodpecker plate and you are done (for the moment). All of the Woodpecker plates and lifts use the same size opening in the top, so you can easily upgrade later when you move to a bigger router. Here's the LS package page:

http://www.woodpeck.com/lsrspkhome.html

matt dumney
03-04-2008, 9:52 PM
Thanks for info everyone. Now how about information toward using MDF or phenolic for the top or plate?
Thanks again!

Jim O'Dell
03-04-2008, 10:16 PM
I built my table...2 layers of 3/4" MDF on a grid network with roughtly 10" X 8" spacing. Covered with Laminate on top and sides, poly on the bottom to seal it off. It was the only way I could get the large size table top I wanted in a way I could afford to get it. I have the 25" Incra LS Positioner. Great fence. Haven't done box joints yet, and far from mastering the dovetails, but I have done enough to have an understanding, now, of how it works, and that the one bit I originally had wouldn't work for the size drawer material I was using. :eek:
Woodpecker is a good company to work with. I didn't get my Incra from them. I think it was from Eagle America, been too long for my feeble mind. I did get the PRL from Woodpeckers on a scratch and dent sale. You would be happy with a complete system from them, or pieces to get you going. Jim.

J. Z. Guest
03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I have the Bench Dog bench top router table and fence.

Bench Dog also makes a nice floor standing one that would probably be just what you're looking for.

No comments on the lift. I'd probably just get a router that is well-suited for table use.

Vernon Costolo
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I have a jessem. I love it. It is so versatile and easy to adjust. Check out www.jessem.com (http://www.jessem.com)

Paul Johnstone
03-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Google for pictures of Norm's router table. Also there's a router table plan on the jointech site. Lot's of pictures on this site.

IMO, the best way is to make your own cabinet. If you are pressed for time, procrastinate making the drawers.

It's best to provide some way to shim up the MDF or plywood top.

Make as large of a top as you can. I started with 24" X 20". This was too small for many things. My next table was 4' x 32".. which is awesome.

Then spend your money on a good router. I got the Jointech fence, which is really nice, but my first router table had a homemade fence which is fine. A lift is also a nice luxury, but as others have said, there are routers now that let you adjust the height from the top of the table.

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2008, 1:27 PM
Woodpecker will sell you the fence and table and an insert for the table or lift. Try a 27"X43" table for an incra 17" LS Super setup or 32"X53" for the 25" LS Super setup.

The Incra dvd will show you how to mount your fence if you decide to build your own.

Build a case to match or put it in a frame and use a down draft dust cabinet.

Here is a picture of my unique setup showing you can build your table to meet whatever design you come up with.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/shop7.jpg

Dave Falkenstein
03-05-2008, 6:01 PM
I made a top that fits a large Incra fence using two pieces of 3/4" MDF, laminated on both sides with Formica, and edge banded with 1/2" maple. If you want detailed instructions on how I made mine, email me through SMC, including your email address, and I'll email you the Word document.

ron z johnson
03-08-2008, 9:20 PM
I would say to look at the Jointech syetem. You can get the machine (Clincher) and make your own fence or buy the entire system. They are priced really well right now.

I have had the Jointech System for quite sometime now and really love it. It is very easy to use and very accurate, plus repeatable. When I use the templates I use the red lines to cut one board and the black lines to cut the other. I built the cabinet from their plans but then later decided to get the Saw Train system and moved everything to my General Table Saw. You should call Jointech and speak to the technical guys, they will fill you in on the specifics.

RJ

matt dumney
03-09-2008, 5:06 PM
Thanks again for the information. Are there functional differences between the Jointech and the Incra systems?