PDA

View Full Version : Another Network Computer - Printing Question

John Weber
03-15-2004, 9:06 PM
I've got my wireless network, up and running for the most part, basically both machines can now access the internet. What I would like to do is share some files, although that doesn't really matter right now. However, it would be really great to print. We have a top of the line all-in-one printer from several years ago. It's connected to my desktop via the parallel port. Is there a way for the laptop to print to this printer? Do I need more hardware - hopefully not. Thanks again and sorry to be such a computer newbie. I really was decent with DOS in the day.

John

Chris Johnson
03-15-2004, 9:50 PM
"Start", "Settings", "Printers". Right click on the printer in question and click on "Sharing..." and select "Share this printer", then give it a share name (printer model will do). Click "OK" or "Apply" and you shouild return to the Printers window. You printer icon should have a hand under it (indicating that it is now shared).

Go to the other computer and double click on "Network Neighborhood" or "My Network Places" (depending on OS version) and then "View Workgroup computers" and you should see the computer that has the now shared printer. Double-click on that icon and you should see the printer that you shared. Double-click on that printer and it will either open a folder (meaning it already has the required drivers) or tell you that it needs to copy some files from the other computer. Click OK and it will then open the printer folder when the driver install is complete. From that point it should give you the shared printer as a selection when you go to print.

The above instructions assume that you are using a Microsoft OS from Windows '98 thru WinXP. There are a couple of hitches you might run into, but the dialog boxes walk you through them pretty well.

The one remaining caveat is that several models of "all-in-one" printers are specificallly designed to NOT be networkable. Most notably is several models of Lexmark "Z" series. There are others, but I don't remember the list right off hand.

If you need help, you can email me and we can work it out. Good Luck, and remember...a human made it, so it can be beat!

John Weber
03-15-2004, 10:47 PM
Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. I get an error:

My Network Places:

Workgroup in not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup in not currently available.

on my desktop. When I look on the notebook, it shows the notebook in the workgroup, but not the desktop.

Any ideas?

Thanks - John

Chris Johnson
03-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Are you on XP Home or XP Pro?

MAke sure that the workgroup name is the same on both PC's. Right-click on My Computer and click on "Properties" and then "Computer Name". They should both be the same. (if not, make them the same).

If you are on XP Home, you will want to go through the "Network Setup Wizard" from "Start", "Programs", "Accesories", "Communications", "Network Setup Wizard". This will put the proper components in place to see your network. Another nice thing to do is to have the same user accounts on both PC's. It is not absolutely needed, but it makes user rights and other things much easier that way. For a beginner, you will probably want to do this. For now, make the users all Administrators so that you can get it working. You can demote some to power users later if needed.

Trey this and get back to me on where you are at. If need be, we can kibbitz on the phone tomorow night after 9pm central time. (my free cell time). Just let me know.

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up. I get an error:

My Network Places:

Workgroup in not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup in not currently available.

on my desktop. When I look on the notebook, it shows the notebook in the workgroup, but not the desktop.

Any ideas?

Thanks - John

John Weber
03-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Nada...

Both machines are running XP-Pro. The laptop seems ok, but the desktop is what appears to be giving me problems.

Shoot and email or post if you have any other ideas. I'm about done for tonight.

Thanks - John