PDA

View Full Version : Red Flame Box Elder bowl

Brian McInturff
03-03-2008, 9:58 PM
I was real happy with this one. It's 6 1/2" x 2 3/4" Finished with General finishes Poly and then triple buffed. Wall thickness is right at 3/16ths. This one has everything, Curl, worm holes, knots, a little natural edge, and of course the serious red flame. Disregard my attempts and burning my info on the bottom:eek:

Paul Douglass
03-03-2008, 10:06 PM
That is very pretty stuff. Nice job

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Brian....that some pretty wood and very nice project! I hope the red in your box elder lasts longer than mine has. Eventually every piece I've turned with the flame in it....turned brown.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Wow Brian - you are right! That little bowl has everything working for it! Lot's of charactor but for me the red coloring still steals the show! Very nice work!

Brian McInturff
03-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Ken, take this for what it's worth. I went back through the archives and did a little research prior to finishing it. What I learned is that the red is caused by one of 2 things. The bugs or bad shakes. Both will cause it. The red from the "shakes" doesn't stay red. From the bugs though it does. Also I was told to use a UV inhibitor type finish. The Poly from General Finishes is suppose to have that. The one other thing is to keep it out of the sunlight. This piece gets put in the china cabinet. Mainly because it's pretty fragile and light as a feather and we have cats.

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Brian that is a beauty. That wood is really doing some talking. Well done.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-04-2008, 3:02 AM
Neat stuff and WELLO done.

Bruce

Claude Arragon
03-04-2008, 6:20 AM
These are nice colors! I never turned such a piece of wood.
I see that we are the only ones to like it, it looks like it had quite a number of inhabitants in it.

Jim Maxwell
03-04-2008, 6:33 AM
Brian, I think I would have been tempted to carve the top edge a bit to get a complete 'natural' edge, just my preference. It is still a nice bowl as it is. Well done.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2008, 6:37 AM
Thanks Guys. How about a little critique on it. I know it's a simple form but what would you have done different. Different shape, bigger foot(piece was only 3" thick though), thicker wall, different finish. Just curious and like everyone else, a little criticism never hurt either:).
Thanks!!

Brian McInturff
03-04-2008, 6:43 AM
Thanks Jim,
I just posted that's what I wanted, some critique, what would you have done:D. As for carving, it's about like my photography and woodburning - I'm a butcher of both. But I like the idea. I did lose a couple pieces of bark which detracts a little. Anyone who has turned this wood ever noticed the black fuzz that is right under the bark - it's like hair. It's the charcoal looking color in the pick on the rim.

Glenn Hodges
03-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Brian did you find this wood in South Carolina? It has super color which I wish we had down here in my neck of the woods. Could you post a profile picture of this one. I sure would like to see the profile picture.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Hey Glenn,
I wish we had wood like that here. I got this from a guy in Lancaster Pa. I'll try and get a good profile pic when I get home. In the mean time here is a pic of what the blank looked like

Ben Gastfriend
03-04-2008, 3:11 PM
I really like this one two. I like the other a bit better because of the more full NE, but the color and thinness really makes up for it! Awsome wood, and awsome work!

Dennis Peacock
03-04-2008, 3:28 PM
Now THAT has a lot of Red in it!!!! Very pretty and a great find of a pretty piece of wood.

Joseph Peacock
03-06-2008, 9:19 PM
WOW!!!!It looks like it has fire in it!!!!!!:eek:Awsom bowl!!!:cool::D