PDA

View Full Version : ROS Suggestions

Gordy Anderson
03-03-2008, 7:38 PM
My 1/4 sheet Sears sander is on it's last leg. Can anyone recommend a replacement? I'll be using it for finish sanding, fixing my glue up misteaks etc. Round or 1/4 sheet, dust collector or dust port (to vaccuum)? Variable speed? 5" or 6"? ARRGH.. Too many choices. I've sort of narrowed it to Rigid, Bosch or PC, but thats mostly based on color :p. TIA Gordy

jason lambert
03-03-2008, 7:53 PM
I had a ros 6" Bosch (round) and loved it, can't say anything bad, it was a real workhorse and felt comfortable. I did how ever upgrade all my sanders to a festool sander $$$ but worth the coin they do a much better job and almost 100% dist collection.

Always get variable speed. and I much more prefer the round to 1/4 sheet uses paper much better. I would really suggest looking at a festool 150 or 125 it has variable speed and a curse and fine sand adjustment. Good for striping paint and glue also can be used to finish fine wood and buff your car. It is one sander that kind of does everything and takes the place of several.

Brian Kent
03-03-2008, 7:58 PM
Bosch 1295DVSK - $70 to $80 refurbished at CPO Tools.

I bought this based on top reviews and have been very satisfied with its comfort and performance. I would recommend it. I look forward to getting the attachment to hook it up to a dust collector.

Bob Rufener
03-03-2008, 8:25 PM
I also have a Bosch (not sure of the number) 5". A great tool. I have used it for years and would buy another.

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2008, 8:31 PM
Festool ES125 - 5" ROS. Works very well and lives up to the name and quality of "Festool".

Gordy Anderson
03-03-2008, 8:41 PM
Festool ES125 - 5" ROS. Works very well and lives up to the name and quality of "Festool".

Would that be the ETS 125 EQ ROS? Runs about $165? GA

Larry Conely
03-03-2008, 8:47 PM
I also got a Bosch 1295DVSK - refurbished at CPO Tools. I've been delighted with it.

Peter Quinn
03-03-2008, 8:55 PM
Gordy...Check out the Festool ES 125 5" ROS. Its a really nice tool. Worth every penny. Minimal vibration, great dust collection, variable speed, great sandpaper options. I work in a basement where dust builds up quick if not collected and this machine saves my lungs. Its a fine machine worth a test drive.

Scott Vigder
03-03-2008, 9:30 PM
I have the Makita 6' ROS which I use for larger projects (table tops, benches) and just bought the new DeWalt 5" for smaller boards.

The Makita is a large, heavy tool that is nicely balanced and is a real workhorse.

The DeWalt is very manageable, and is relatively quiet, too.

Hope this helps.

John Hain
03-03-2008, 9:32 PM
I bought a Festool 150/3 recently. I felt pretty guilty about it until I used it and was blown away with the dust collection and low vibration. Needless to say, I don't at all feel guilty anymore. I use a porter cable vac with it that I bought from Amazon.

Alan Trout
03-03-2008, 9:37 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record but the Festool 150/3 or ETS 125 are great products. It was hard to spend the initial cash but after you do you get spoiled real fast. I don't hardly pick up my old sanders anymore.

Good Luck

Alan

Kev Godwin
03-03-2008, 9:46 PM
I use a Makita BO5021 - 5 inch variable speed and has a pistol grip for easier grip and control. Been very happy with it especially for what I paid for it new. Paid $40 on a store close-out. The store had one left new in the box (mini-gloat).

Don Bullock
03-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I also have a Bosch (not sure of the number) 5". A great tool. I have used it for years and would buy another.

I also got a Bosch 1295DVSK - refurbished at CPO Tools. I've been delighted with it.

One of the sanders they bought may be the one that Bosch bought back from me. After I used my 1295 just a few times the variable speed switch failed. :( It was repaired under warranty at a local Bosch contracted service provider. The repairman told me that he keeps the Bosch sander switches in stock because he replaces them often. I used the sander a couple of times after that and even hooked it up to a ShopVac to reduce dust just in case that was the cause for the failure. The sander failed again.:mad: When I returned the sander to Bosch I requested a refund which they honored and I bought a Festool RO 125. Wow, what a difference. Sure, the Bosch 1295 was good, but the Festool is a whole lot better. I'm now "sold" on Festool sanders.:)

Jerry White
03-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Of the three brands that you listed, I would recommend the Bosch. I have had the Bosch 3725EVS for a few years and it has performed very well. No complaints at all on the Bosch.

However, even though you did not ask about the Festool, I have to agree with those above who say it is worth the high dollar price. I got the Festool RO 150 just last week, and the Festool is in another league.

Randy Carnley
03-04-2008, 11:42 AM
Take a look at the Bosch 1250. I have several sanders but this is my "go to"

Wade Lippman
03-04-2008, 2:34 PM
I have a couple Rigid 6" and they are nice; much better than my PC 5".
They are the old German ones; the new Chinese LOOK the same, but I don't know if they actually are.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-04-2008, 3:28 PM
PC Speed Bloc
It's as good as any fancy Schmancy sander AND it'll save you tons of $$ Cause it's a quarter sheet sander.

What it does not have is DC. If you don't care about DC it is by far the best ROS on the market (IMNSOH).

Joe Mioux
03-04-2008, 3:36 PM
I have a couple I really like the Makita ros bo5001, (old model). It is very well balanced. PC is nice and it hooks up to my shopvac.

I also have the new Festool 150 something with two speeds. Totally different sander than the other two.

For inexpensive, the makita is a nice ros.

joe

Gordy Anderson
03-04-2008, 7:06 PM
PC Speed Bloc
It's as good as any fancy Schmancy sander AND it'll save you tons of $$ Cause it's a quarter sheet sander.

What it does not have is DC. If you don't care about DC it is by far the best ROS on the market (IMNSOH).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I do care about dust collection, and I'm pretty well leaning toward the fancy schmancy Festool. But I wonder what puts it in a different league? It shakes around and makes dust, right? What is it I'm gonna be so impressed about? And is there a big difference between the 125 and 150 (besides an inch)? Will it connect to my shop vac or will I need adapters?

For those of you that have one, how would it work sanding drywall? Have you ever done it, and does it collect the dust well? I don't do that a lot, but I just re-did the bathroom and had to spend $40 on a drywall sander rental. If this eliminates that, it'd be a lot better purchase.

Gordy

John Schumer
03-04-2008, 8:42 PM
Gordy,
If you are leaning towards the Festool, go for it!!
A few years ago I had a PC sander.
It did not collect dust very well in my opinion.
I bit the bullet and purchased the Festool RO 125.
The sand paper lasts longer than any other paper I have ever used,
because the dust extraction and air stream system keep the paper clean!
In my opinion, You cannot beat the Festool!
Go for it, you won't be dissapointed, and remember.......
if you don't like it after 30 days you can return it for a full refund no questions asked!
HTH
John
PS
1 inch bigger in diameter is an awful bigger surface area!!

jason lambert
03-04-2008, 9:10 PM
The dust collection (besides keeping you healthy) makes the paper last allot longer. The less crap trapped between the paper and the surface means the paper will not clog as easy and you are just not grinding dust to make smaller dust and warning out the paper if you follow that. The festool sander has a center hole which blows out air and collects it on the outer holes that helps prevent suck down and keeping the dust moving along with keeping the sanding surface cooler.

Anyhow the important thing is both the 125 and 150 are the same 5" to 6" is something like 25% more sanding area so one inch is allot. But the 125 is much lighter some thing some people like.

The festool sander also has 2 modes a random orbital and more of a spinning mode. The spinning mode you can use to really take down material fast like stripping paint, ruff sanding but will leave marks when you change the transmission on the top to the ros mode it is a much finer sander more like a finishing sander that you are use to. That what makes this sander special is it is really like two tools in one. You can sand and buff, you can even use it as a car buffer.

Ok I am sounding like a festool rep now, honest I have nothing to do with the company. I think most sanders are pretty good now a days the festool is just in a league of it own. I am a hobbyist so it was a big jump for me to get on the festool wagon. Last thing April 1 st festool is going through a price increase not sure of that sander will go up or not just want to warn you if you are leaning that way.

glenn bradley
03-04-2008, 9:19 PM
Well, your 1/4 sheet and your ROS are different animals. You should decide which you want or get both. The ROS is more aggressive but with VS can bee very versatile. The 1/4 sheet "finishing sander" is a little better for final work(?).

For a ROS I too have the 1295DVSK and contrary to folks reporting that they burn them up; mine is going strong and has the smoothest pattern of any ROS I've used. I picked it up from CPO Bosch as a refurb for about $55 IIRC.

http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/images/1295dvs.jpg

I run a Bosch 1297 for my 1/4 sheet. It accepts the same vac adapter as my ROS. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415AQ4B0X8L._AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0009H5L5I/ref=dp_image_0/102-2696157-7155363?ie=UTF8&n=228013&s=hi)
The 'sheetloc' paper grabber works very well and the machine is well balanced. They're about $50 new.
http://www.coastaltool.com/bosch/images/1297.jpg

John Hain
03-04-2008, 9:36 PM
The dust collection (besides keeping you healthy) makes the paper last allot longer. The less crap trapped between the paper and the surface means the paper will not clog as easy and you are just not grinding dust to make smaller dust and warning out the paper if you follow that. The festool sander has a center hole which blows out air and collects it on the outer holes that helps prevent suck down and keeping the dust moving along with keeping the sanding surface cooler.

Anyhow the important thing is both the 125 and 150 are the same 5" to 6" is something like 25% more sanding area so one inch is allot. But the 125 is much lighter some thing some people like.

The festool sander also has 2 modes a random orbital and more of a spinning mode. The spinning mode you can use to really take down material fast like stripping paint, ruff sanding but will leave marks when you change the transmission on the top to the ros mode it is a much finer sander more like a finishing sander that you are use to. That what makes this sander special is it is really like two tools in one. You can sand and buff, you can even use it as a car buffer.

Ok I am sounding like a festool rep now, honest I have nothing to do with the company. I think most sanders are pretty good now a days the festool is just in a league of it own. I am a hobbyist so it was a big jump for me to get on the festool wagon. Last thing April 1 st festool is going through a price increase not sure of that sander will go up or not just want to warn you if you are leaning that way.

Yep, 30% more area to sand with on a 6" sander.

To clarify, only the Festool Rotex sanders have the dual functions of random orbital mode vs. rotary sanding mode. I would also submit that if you purchase a Rotex model, you would never need to consider buying a belt sander (as if anyone uses them......???). I haven't used my belt sander since I built my boat 3 years ago. Might be time to refinish an old piece of furniture just to use it again.

Jeff Heil
03-05-2008, 1:54 AM
FWIW, I have went through a Makita 1/4 sheet, Craftsman VS 5" ROS, and am on my 2nd PC 333 5" ROS in about the last 7 years. I have decided my next sander will be a Festool. I am anticipating improved dust collection and durability with the Festool.

I am hoping my PC lasts long enough to work through my inventory of 5" hook and loop sandpaper, I don't plan on buying any more paper for the PC, but have almost full 50 ct boxes of Klingspor paper in 5 grits that will be for sale if my PC meets an early death. I have had it apart countless times and canibalized parts of the first unit I owned.

Just my current thought process related to a ROS....I hope it helps you with your decision.