PDA

View Full Version : Did You Know That...

Jon Lanier
03-03-2008, 4:20 PM
...in order for a car to go out of the garage, the garage door must be up? Apparently my wife forgot that small little detail at 4:30 a.m. this morning when she was leaving for work.

I spent the day hammering, pushing pulling the metal door so it would go up and down. I actually got it in good enough position that it will work with the automatic door Opener (yes we have one).

Now I'll have to wait for the new door to be ordered and delivered.

I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this one. heheheh http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL561/3684635/7593283/277313345.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 4:21 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooppppppppps!

My condolences!

Lee Schierer
03-03-2008, 4:25 PM
I think I can see a new Unisaw in your future!

Matt Meiser
03-03-2008, 4:53 PM
Better be careful. My brother gave my SIL hell after she backed into a pole in a parking lot. A new tail light, popping out the plastic bumper, and some rubbing compound fixed it other than a tiny dent no one will ever notice. Two weeks later he took out the <-Trucks/Cars-> sign on an icy rest area ramp. Cost a couple thousand to fix the car.

Michael Gibbons
03-04-2008, 1:52 AM
Better hurry and get the goods before the scenario that Matt described,happens.;)

Belinda Barfield
03-04-2008, 7:49 AM
It's just the little details that sometimes slip our minds. :)

I think it's time for me to invent the auto car sensor for garage doors. It would be much simpler for us ladies (and you guys who do the repairs) if the door just knew we were comin' and got out of the way!

jeremy levine
03-04-2008, 8:55 AM
My wife gave me hell beacuse I forgot to put water in the coffee maker ( when I set it up the night before )

Heather Thompson
03-04-2008, 9:12 AM
I backed into our garage door when it was still a garage, felt like an idiot until I did a little root cause analysis, ends up the gear drive on the opener broke when the door was three quarters up. I was able to remove the bottom rail and pound it back into shape, nothing lost except a little paint from the top of our 93 Dodge.

Heather

Pat Germain
03-04-2008, 6:02 PM
One of my coworkers did that a few years ago. And he's a Phd. Furthermore, he really is a rocket scientist!

Chris Padilla
03-04-2008, 6:18 PM
Uhm, HELLO FELLOW CREEKERS!!?? Garages are NOT MEANT for vehicles!!!!

Geeeeez..........

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 9:09 PM
Considering that I'm married to an electrical engineer, if one of us backs through the garage door it will probably be me. And I'll have to fix it. I can blame her for that somehow, right?

Matthew Poeller
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I have done that once. The wife was not happy. Not bad enough that is doesn't work. Just squeeks a little more now. I backed into my parents house once to. Narrow driveway and I clipped the siding with the mirror. No doubt I was spacing a bit.

Mike Heidrick
03-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Worst two garage door issues I have done:

Left the ROPS up on the Deere (they fold) - luckily I was just picking up a pallet and was going slow - no damage but scarry to look up and see that.

I shut the garage door down with the truck bed too close to the door and the metal stiffner caght the top of the tailgate.

Jon Lanier
03-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Uhm, HELLO FELLOW CREEKERS!!?? Garages are NOT MEANT for vehicles!!!!

Geeeeez.......... It is when your wife says it is! lol Besides my shop is in the basement. ;)

Judy Kingery
03-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Ha, Jon, that's great! You're a good man. I have had a tussle with a garage door myself, but oh well, I say I had a reason. 8 years old, driving a tractor (fairly mid-sized tractor - little Ford, but quite a bit bigger than a lawn mower), I weighed about 70 lbs. soaking wet. Had it in 3rd and roared around a corner doing about a whopping 15 miles an hour. Dad said or motioned, park it here. Ok, no problem. I did pop it into neutral. Stood on the brake. Hmm. I didn't have the leverage right regardless of any excuses on my bird weight. And had to choose, Dad's company car or the shop garage door . . . picked the garage door. My Dad laughed. He said ok, Jude, back it up. Uhm, ok, then, geez, sorry. I was about to cry I was so upset. He said nah, it's ok, back it up then. The get on the horse that bucked you off and do it right. So I did. He pounded out the door dent and yeah it was enough to ring the whole shop off kilter a bit. 25 years later that shop door wouldn't close right, about a 1/4th inch off plumb. Oh well. Such is life. Thanks for the laughs and the memories. Jude

JayStPeter
03-05-2008, 10:20 AM
I think if I got into my car at 4:30 AM, I might do the same thing.

-Jay ... not a morning person.

Jim Becker
03-05-2008, 10:42 AM
We can all chuckle about the damage to the door, but in all seriousness, the act of starting the car before the door is known to be open is of greater concern...CO is such a dangerous thing and it doesn't take long for a terrible and tragic accident to occur.

Chris Padilla
03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
I think if I got into my car at 4:30 AM, I might do the same thing.

-Jay ... not a morning person.

I'm on my bike at 5 AM! :D

JayStPeter
03-05-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm on my bike at 5 AM! :D

Yeah, but that's like 8AM since you're on the west coast :D

I think I might ride my bike into the garage door at that hour also.

Bryan Berguson
03-05-2008, 2:21 PM
I know a guy who found out his dump truck wouldn't fit under the car port with the bed up! No, it wasn't me. I don't have a dump truck or a car port! :D

Bryan

Steve Kubien
03-05-2008, 2:41 PM
I'll fess up... A couple of weeks ago I was in a hurry to leave and backed in to SWMBO car, which was parked behind mine. Only real damage was a lost license plate bracket.

Steve Kubien