PDA

View Full Version : Shipping/Freight Company Recommendations?

Kevin Davis
03-03-2008, 4:07 PM
I am looking to crate and ship an MM16 (550 lbs.) and MM Combo machine (1,350 lbs) from Maryland to Colorado. Can anyone suggest some companies or websites? Happy to hear any suggestions and tips as well. The thought of shipping makes me and my wallet nervous.

Pat Germain
03-03-2008, 4:14 PM
I had an 8" jointer shipped from Georgia to Colorado last summer through YELLOW freight. It arrived on time and in good shape. Not sure what part of Colorado you're shipping to, but I picked up my jointer at the YELLOW depot in Colorado Springs. They seemed like good people there and loaded my jointer right into my truck with a forklift.

James Hart
03-03-2008, 4:27 PM
I was an Ebay seller for a few years. Mostly very heavy stuff.

Either ATF or Forward Air (a trucking co in spite of the name) are very reasonable and reliable.

At the weights you are talking, you will want to build solid crates with a pallet bottom. You'll need to bolt the tools to the bottom. I'd make the pallets from 2x6's. Ideally, you'll drop these off and pick them up from a terminal on each end. This will cut the cost by at least half and you'll have more control vs a liftgate being scheduled for residential delivery.

On more than one occassion, I built the crate in the Forward Air parking lot with a battery operated screw driver because I had no way to get the crated tool to the terminal.

Jim

Matt Campbell
03-03-2008, 4:59 PM
Kevin,

When I ship larger amounts of wood, I use Freight Quote. I get a large discount with my repeat business. If you want, I can probably have your shipment booked through my account and with my discount. Just let me know if I can help with that.

Steven Wilson
03-03-2008, 5:32 PM
You might want to call a rigger.

Kevin Davis
03-03-2008, 6:29 PM
Matt,

Thank you for the offer! Is freight quote the company that does the shipping or are they just the transaction coordinator? Do you think they have experience with crating/palleting equipment?

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Davis
03-03-2008, 6:32 PM
Steve,

I'm in the dark. Please help me. What is the difference between a rigger and say a freight company. I've never done this so any direction or name would be helpful.

Kevin Davis
03-03-2008, 6:35 PM
Pat,

Did they crate/pallet it up for you? I'm near Parker. I could probably rent an open trailer that they could fork lift it into. When I get home though I could have some issues as I don't have a forklift or crane but could ask around.

Kevin Davis
03-03-2008, 6:37 PM
Jim,

I shot you a PM.

Kevin

Matt Campbell
03-03-2008, 7:14 PM
Kevin,

They are the transaction coordinator. They probably have experience, but I've never asked. I'm pretty sure the packaging is on you. If I were in your shoes, I'd book my shipment with Freight Quote and then contact the freight company they book it with about the packaging/palletizing.

Pat Germain
03-03-2008, 7:25 PM
Pat,

Did they crate/pallet it up for you? I'm near Parker. I could probably rent an open trailer that they could fork lift it into. When I get home though I could have some issues as I don't have a forklift or crane but could ask around.

Alas, no. My jointer was new and already crated.

Some folks has been successful using an engine hoist to move heavy tools around. You may even be able to rent a tool crane. They sell them on Harbor Freight for a decent price. It's a nice tool to have if you tend to move heavy tools around every once in awhile.

Brook Duerr
03-03-2008, 7:35 PM
I would second the recommendation of Freightquote. They find the best rate based on a number of factors. You will want to pack the item up really well. As others have pointed out bolt it to a VERY solid crate. My MM16 arrived from the factory practically on its side. The solid pallet it was bolted to kept it from tipping over. It was listing about 25 degrees to one side!

No matter what happens to the items in transit they will blame the packer for the problem. I saw a 20" Northfield Jointer that was dropped from a height of ~5' once. They picked it up by the narrow end of the 8' long pallet not realizing the thing weighed about 3000#. It snapped 6 4"x4" posts that it was bolted to in half. They blamed the shipper even though it said to lift the pallet from the side only. So make a very solid pallet for the items to sit on, bolt them to it, and make a protective OSB box to protect the sides.

I also can get you a discount if you need one. PM me if you need one.

Kevin Davis
03-03-2008, 8:16 PM
Good Ideas. Unfortunately I won't be there to crate and pallet it. I guess the freight company picks the equipment up and places it on the pallet then builds the crate around it. Then it arrives at my house and hopefully the reverse happens. I feel like I'm getting in over my head at times. I will see if MiniMax can help suggest some ideas. Thank you for the discount offer. I will try to get a quote from them. What is the % discount? That will help me see how much the shipping is going to cost me.

Matt Campbell
03-03-2008, 8:56 PM
I get at least 50% off, but usually I'll get 60%-65%.

Steven Wilson
03-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Steve,

I'm in the dark. Please help me. What is the difference between a rigger and say a freight company. I've never done this so any direction or name would be helpful.

You hire a rigger to install, pack, shift, move (local), lift, whatever you want. let's say you want to move a factory - call a rigger. You can use a rigger to disassemble and crate your equipment as well as haul it to a freight company or place it on a frieght truck. Good riggers will also recommend folk's at the other end of the move to accept the equipment, uncrate, setup and place in service at your new location. You can have them do as much or as little as you want to pay. They'll even figure out how to move your CU300 into a studio apartment in NYC.

I have a general industrial company that provides rigging services as part of its operations about 3 miles from me. I hired them to take delivery of my CU350 at their building (I was there for delivery so I signed off on it), they and I unpacked the machine, then they took the machine and a fork lift and loaded both onto a tilt-down flat bed semi-trailer, drove over to my house, gently unloaded the machine to the street, and placed it in my garage. The smaller parts came with me in my truck. Cost to me was $200 ($65/hr + $1.50 mile). If I move into a new house in my area I plan on enlisting their help in moving the heavier toys in my shop (MM20, CU350, Oneway 2436) - fairly priced, insured, and hassle free delivery.

Kevin Davis
03-04-2008, 10:51 AM
Steve,

Thanks for clearing it up. I will certainly explore this option!