PDA

View Full Version : electrical stupid

TYLER WOOD
03-03-2008, 3:22 PM
I am electrical stupid. I don't know amps from volts. But I don't want to either run too much or too little power to my shop

I am building a 24X30 shop. I am mostly a turner with a few flatwork tools. I will be installing an air compressor (down the road) and an dc system. I would like to have a heavy duty welded down the road as well. What am I lloking at to wire this bad boy up.
lathe, table, scroll, compound miter, small air copmressor, grinder, just your typical small shop stuff. The only things I could see maybe being on at the same time would be maybe the grinder and lathe. All help and informatin would be helpful. I am planning on getting a book to help me understand more. Just wanting to get a head start here.

Sam Yerardi
03-03-2008, 3:30 PM
With everything you've described, I would recommend at a minimum having a separate 100A panel feeding the shop. I did this in my shop and I've never regretted it. Have a licensed electrician install this for you. Once it's installed, you can then add whatever circuits you need.

Rob Russell
03-03-2008, 3:48 PM
I'd agree with the 100A service. I'm guessing there will be times when you want to run A/C too, so that adds to the load. A welder can require a 40-50A circuit, depending on what size welder you get.

If you're building a standalone shop, you might consider making it 24'x32', because the 32' is an even increment of 4' and makes efficient use of sheet goods without having to cut sheets in half.

Steve Leverich
03-03-2008, 3:51 PM
"I would like to have a heavy duty welded down the road as well"

Tyler, depending on what you meant by that statement you may need a 200 amp panel instead - can you clarify? Thanks... Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 4:04 PM
Tyler,

Maybe I didn't read your post correctly but here's my take on it.

I built a 24x30 freestanding shop.

I installed a new meter base outside and a 200 amp service panel inside. The shop has it's own feed and I get 1 electrical bill with a separate reading for my home and my shop.

The cost difference between 100 and 200 amp service panels is not that much.

I installed the Square D "QD" series panel IIRC. It's more costly than their other panel but electrical IMHO is not the place to cut corners.

I used copper entry wire into the meter base outside and into the service panel and copper wire throughout my shop.

I had a mobile home that we lived in....it had aluminum wiring. Within 6 months after we moved into base housing (I was in the Navy at the time) and out of the mobile home, the mobile home burned to the ground due to an electrical fire.

I ran 10 gauge to all my 240 circuits and 12 gauge to all my 120 circuits. That was 4 years ago. Last fall I bought a Mini-Max 16 b/s. No problem. The 240 circuits were all 10 gauge...I just installed a 30 amp breaker for the outlet the b/s was going on....it has a 4.8 hp motor.

My new lathe is a PM3520B. No problem....I installed a 20 amp breaker on the circuit it plugs into.

My DC started out to be an 2 hp and ended up being a 3hp....No problem. The 240 circuit I had set up for it.....installed a 20 amp breaker.

In short, a little increased cost up front allows a little flexibility when using it.

BTW....I have a blank double area set aside for a possible 60 amp 240 circuit.....If I ever decide to get a welder.....the space is available in the box.......

My breaker box is set in the wall between the walkin door and the 10' garage door. All my walls are covered with 1/2" plywood. The plywood (covering the wall where the service panel is located) is screwed on with domed washers. It's just a matter of removing the plywood below the panel, installing a outlet box...a short run of wire capable of handling the 60 amp circuit...installing the outlet......cut a hole in the plwood for the outlet.....reinstalling the plywood.....plug the welder in...raise the garage door......roll the welder outside and get with it.

A little more cost up front....a little planning....allows a lot of flexibility later...

BTW.....I put all of my outlets 50" above the floor. Stand a sheet of plywood against the wall....the outlets are still accessible. Build a bench....the outlets are still located above the benchtop.

Have fun with the design and think ahead......and still keep the budget in check.