PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions about my small shop

Jared Minor
03-03-2008, 2:58 PM
Hello Everyone,
I don't contribute to many topics on here at all, but I'm hoping ya'll can answer some of my questions.
I have a pretty small shop, I don't have any measurements right now, but I can get them. I will do my best to describe it. It is approximately 16'-18' X 12'-15', there is a corner post set on top of a concrete pier in the four corners only. There is a 4"x6" sole plate resting on piers between each of the corner posts, except for the front. There is two sliding doors attached to metal rails, which are attached to a 2"x10" header. Hope that wasn't too confusing. The single top plate is a 2"x4". There are no studs between corners at all. When they built it (it is old) they used 1x10's running vertical all the way around the shop. There are 2 1x4's running horizontal from corner to corner. One about 2' up from the sole plate and the other almost 6' up from the sole plate. The roof structure is 2x4 rafters on 4' center with a 2x6 ceiling joist on the middle rafter with 2x4 joists for the other rafters. The rafters run the short direction(12'-15'). The roof itself is decked in OSB with asphalt shingles.
I hope my description isn't to confusing. I was curious as to ya'lls opinion on structural strength without the use of stud frame walls. I'm looking to hang some cabinets up on the walls for storage.
What do ya'll think?

Jack Porter
03-03-2008, 10:50 PM
some pics might help, sounds a little "under-framed" to me

Jared Minor
03-04-2008, 1:30 PM
some pics might help, sounds a little "under-framed" to me

Yea, I think it is underframed also, at least for the walls. Would it do any good to go in with stud walls between the sole plate and the top plate? At least where I want to hang cabinets. I'm talking about attaching a new sole plate and top plates to the existing one's.

Eric Haycraft
03-04-2008, 2:00 PM
Toenail some studs in if you want to hang cabinets. Otherwise you are asking for trouble...actually, I would probably toenail studs on all of the walls and add some cross bracing. It sounds like it is very under built and I wouldn't want my tools in it...one big gust of wind could take it down.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2008, 2:28 PM
Pictures, pretty please!! :)

Thom Sturgill
03-04-2008, 3:18 PM
Jared, what kind of wood is the walls?

I've seen old houses and out-buildings (some over 100 years old) built just that way. Most of the walls were oak and one building I took down with my dad when he built his shop back in the 60's was entirely Chestnut - it's now living room paneling in mom's house.:D

If they are good hardwood and not damaged they may be fine, but it still would be safer to build an inner wall to support heavy cabinets on.

Jared Minor
03-04-2008, 4:41 PM
Jared, what kind of wood is the walls?

I've seen old houses and out-buildings (some over 100 years old) built just that way. Most of the walls were oak and one building I took down with my dad when he built his shop back in the 60's was entirely Chestnut - it's now living room paneling in mom's house.:D

If they are good hardwood and not damaged they may be fine, but it still would be safer to build an inner wall to support heavy cabinets on.

Thom,
The walls are old long leaf pine. The exterior of those boards is covered in T-111 siding. The boards are in good shape with no rot or showing in real signs of coming apart. I know they are solid, because it is the dickens to nail anything into those walls.

Thom Sturgill
03-04-2008, 8:36 PM
Yeah, I've heard people say that they had to drill a hole before they could sink a nail in some old pine.:)

Jared Minor
03-05-2008, 1:36 PM
Well I went back and took a look at the rafters, they are on 16 or 18" centers. I didn't climb up and measure. So I think the roof structure is really good. However, there aren't ceiling joists on every stud. I think I may go back in and add the joists. At least then I won't have to worry about the walls falling outwards. I might add in stud walls along the long walls. I don't think I will be hanging any cabinets, I think I will just build lowers and a double the top of the cabinets so they will be a pretty good work surface. I already have a good bench, so the cabinets will be more for more horizontal area that I can fill up.