PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe ordered - Mayo Light

steven carter
03-03-2008, 2:30 PM
While I really wanted mustard, I settled for mayo. Woodcraft had a 10% off sale, and $100 mail in rebate, so I ordered a Jet 1642 evs for a net price after rebate of $1250. I got the 1 1/2 hp model so I also saved on having to run 220 to my shop. I keep telling myself that 1.5 hp will be enough. While it may not be everything I WANTED, I think it will be everything I NEED. I have been mentoring a friend who had a craftsman tube lathe who bought my Jet 1236, so we both get an upgrade. Of course none of this really will not have happened for about a week or so, but after delivery, pictures will come.

Robert McGowen
03-03-2008, 2:35 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I have the 1642 also and know you will be happy with your decision.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 2:52 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Steven! I'm sure it'll serve you well!

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2008, 3:01 PM
Steve - you made a good choice! I have the 1642 and love it! Looking forward to the pics and your review of the lathe!

Bill Stevener
03-03-2008, 5:41 PM
Hi Steve,
Wish you all the best with your new lathe.

Hear is an old saying. "Sam, the man wants a blue suit, turn on the blue lights."

Now the way it was posted hear several weeks ago, over in England, when someone wants a mustard colored lathe , they spray it mustard, and when they want a mayo colored lathe they spray it mayo.

So if it will make you feel any better, just order the color paint you like and spray it.

Dale Gregory
03-03-2008, 6:59 PM
Steve, you picked a good one! You will love it!

Dale

dennis kranz
03-03-2008, 7:18 PM
Congrats on the new Lathe. I hope to be able to order in about a year and I have been having a hard time trying to decide if I need the 2 hp. My drill press has a larger moter than my mini.Would like to know if there realy is that much differance.
Dennis

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2008, 7:33 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. You are going to like it.

Steve Kubien
03-03-2008, 9:41 PM
Steve, I cannot speak to the Jet lathe, only the horsepower. My Nova 1624 is a 1.5hp like your Jet. Prior to 2 weeks ago I could stall it with a 1/2" bowl gouge with no effort whatsoever. Then, I saw a demo and took a class with Lyle Jamieson. This was the first hands-on class I had ever had and the way he had me holding my tools and guiding them (effortless), I am now using my 5/8" Ellsworth gouge, hoggin off thick, wide shavings and the lathe never even hiccups. Use your tools correctly and 1.5hp will be no issue at all. congrats and have fun.

Steve Kubien
P.S. Coring with the McNaughton slows it down.

Fred Conte
03-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Congradulations Steven! Looking forward to seeing it setup...

Fred

Tom Sherman
03-04-2008, 9:25 AM
Congratulations Steve, a great gloat be sure to include pictures when the happy event arrives.