PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat - Highway Dept. 1000, Me 1 --Long Post

steven carter
03-03-2008, 2:21 PM
The highway department is widening U.S. 27 between Liberty Indiana, and Oxford Ohio. I have been watching their progress, and the trees they have reduced to chips. I had tried several times to catch then when they were working to see if I could salvage some turning wood, but by the time I got off work and drove there, they were gone. A couple of weeks ago, my wife was passing by where they were working, and noticed that they were leaving for the day and a couple of big sycamore trees were left on the ground. I have been wanting to get some sycamore for some time, and had seen several go the way of the chipper, so when I got home I got my chain saw and headed there. As it turned out, the trees were in the front yard where a high school friend of mine used to live. I went and talked to the current owner who felt very bad about losing her trees. She said to get all I wanted that night because by the next night they would be gone. I cut for a couple of hours, and promised the owner a bowl from her biggest tree. For any history buffs, the house was once the home of General Ambrose Burnside. Burnside was once the head of the Union forces during the civil war, and his home was used a part of the underground railroad. One of the pictures shows the house. As it turns out the next day the trees were gone except for the trunks too large for the chipping machine. Now I only have an 18" poulan chainsaw, but I have been going there and nibbling off turning blanks as best I can. While cutting one day a construction truck pulled up and I thought I might be in trouble. Actually the guy said that these big trunks would be there for a while, and then would be buried, and he didn't have any problem with me getting all I wanted. I sure wish I had a real chainsaw, but am buying a new lathe instead. That gloat will be my next post. The one picture shows the 6 bowl blanks I got from one slice of the end, I left the saw to show the size of the log. This is the smallest log of the three. Having worked my way through college as a lawnmower and chainsaw mechanic, I would never say that Poulan is the saw to buy, but I have really abused this saw since I got a lathe and it has performed beyond expectations (I bought the saw at Lowe's to use for light trimming). After seeing hundreds of saws in the shop, I would say if you can afford it buy a Stihl.

Anyone in the area with a big saw, (or as in my case who has more determination than saw) come to US 27 about one to two miles south of Liberty, Indiana on the right side of the road if headed north.

Matt Meiser
03-03-2008, 2:59 PM
I recently read an article about ODOT starting clearing in the Napoleon, Ohio area for the "Fort to Port" US-24 expansion too. And last fall (at least I think it was fall when I went through there last?) there was a lot of clearing going on along the 16 corridor between Newark and Columbus. I'm not sure if the prior has started yet or if the latter has finished.

Just some other options for those in Ohio.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2008, 3:07 PM
Congrats on the wood haul Steve! If you can turn all that wood into bowls and then sell them... your new lathe would be paid off and then you could get a bigger chainsaw!!! Hope you can fill your yard with blanks! Happy Turning!

robert hainstock
03-03-2008, 3:16 PM
Looking forward to seeing your work. Isn't it great how one tree can be almost too much? :D Bob

Jon Lanier
03-03-2008, 3:44 PM
That van looks a bit tiny to be moving all that wood. Now your going to just have to buy a truck. :)

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2008, 7:39 PM
Congrats on the wood haul. Looks like it is time for a pickup.

Allen Neighbors
03-03-2008, 8:33 PM
Nice haul! Steve's right. Get all of it you can... blank it out... anchorseal it... roughturn it... finish it... sell it... That's all you have to do. :D

John Bartley
03-04-2008, 8:28 AM
Nice looking end grain on that photo with the saw - nice big log too.

Too bad there are no programs for taking wood like this to a recycling facility where they could be milled for lumber, cut into turning blocks (crotches/defects etc.) and the remains used for firewood. Burying and burning without getting any benefit from them seems like such a waste. With all the development around here, we see this regularly. It's a bit depressing.

Congratulations for getting what you could!!

cheers

Glenn Hodges
03-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Beautiful wood and glad you were able to get it. I am sure you are aware of how bad it warps, but it will be worth it. BTW Burnside was so incompetent he probably was responsibe for the death of more union boys other than Gen. Lee of course.