PDA

View Full Version : Osborne EB-3

Al Willits
03-03-2008, 1:52 PM
Spent a bit of Friday and sat playing with the Osborne EB-3 that I got, set up directions were a little vague but with the pictures of it on the directions and previous posts from here we're up and running.

I'm finding with a little bit of adjusting, it makes very nice and accurate cuts and even though the handle seems to be a bit awkward.

I'm glad I let you all talk me into it...yup..blaming you guys for the "What do you need more tools for?, I thought the last one you got was all you needed" from you know who..:)

Anyway I had very good luck with it and for a $100 its works very nice.

BUT...

I had a PM from another Creeker who didn't have quite the same luck, he says the ram that adjusts the angle had play in it, seems the anchor screw hole was a bit larger than the screw which resulted in play.

Something you could fix, but shouldn't have to.

Anybody else having good/bad luck with the new improved version 3?

Wondering if we're running into a bit of manufacturing errors???

Al

Edward P. Surowiec
03-04-2008, 7:11 PM
I could not lock the miter arm at all. Turns out that the locking screw has a hollow end that a small pin slides into. They sent me the pin and I've had very good results with the EB-3.

Rob Will
03-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Mine is working very well except that the grit from the adhesive backed sandpaper is scratching my table top. I tried to rub off all of the loose particles but several scratches have occured.

I like the grip surface, I just wish it was something without loose grit.

Rob

Chris Bruno
03-05-2008, 1:05 AM
Mine is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Chris

Jeffrey Makiel
03-05-2008, 7:01 AM
I'm the guy Al references in his post. My new EB3 has some wobble in its pivot joints. The most pronounced is the joint below. Perhaps I expect too much. However, my stock Delta miter gauge is noticably more rigid at the end of its wooden add-on fence. Suffice to say, a rigid gauge is nice for crosscutting long or heavy material.

-Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/OsbourneEB3.jpg

Kyle Kraft
03-05-2008, 7:29 AM
Mines about 3 years old and the only problem I have experienced is the grit falling off and scratching the table top. I call 'em beauty marks.

Rob Blaustein
03-09-2008, 2:57 PM
I'll echo the complaints about the sand coming off and scratching the top of my saw. And Jeff's issue about some play in it. I also have the frustrating issue that mine will not simultaneously be accurate for both 90 and 45 deg without fine adjustment each time that I go back and forth. Since I do that once in a blue moon I've lived with it, but it shouldn't be that way. All in all, I'm not as impressed as Norm and others seem to be. I probably just got unlucky and could have it replaced, given the lifetime warranty (am I remembering that right?).

scott spencer
03-09-2008, 3:36 PM
Rob, when manufacturing moved to Excaliber in Canada a few years ago, there was a run of the EB-3's that had the detents in the arm brace that were milled incorrectly and caused inaccurate angles. The defect has been corrected, GI has bought Excaliber, and they're now manufactured overseas, but you're correct about the lifetime warranty. You might try contacting them about the issue. How old is your gauge?

Don Dean
03-09-2008, 4:23 PM
Set up my new Osborne EB-3 Friday with out any problems. Instruction were a little vague but as they say a picture is worth a 1000 words. After applying the adhesive backed sandpaper I rubbed it with a belt cleaning stick in hope of preventing the falling off grit problem. Setting it 90 degrees to blade was easy but have not checked to see if 45 degree indent is actually 45 degrees to the blade yet. In summary, I am please with the EB-3 so far.

Dan Henry
03-10-2008, 4:23 PM
I did not use the sand paper that came with the EB3. I use some 120 G with self adhesive that works very well and has no grit falling off. I seam to have a problem with the pin depressed into a degree hole, not being exactly the correct angle or square.

Dan