PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
3 Mar 2008

Good Morning to all of you.

The LOML and I finally got our greatroom all finished up. All the old wallpaper borders taken down, cleaned the walls and baseboards, took down the ceiling fan, and got busy.

All the walls took 2 coats of paint, we put 2 coats of ceiling paint on the ceiling (boy what a difference that made), and painted all the patched holes in the walls.

The woodworking that went with this project was me making a false beam out of some Cherry I had in the shop. Planed and machined all the cherry for this project and spent the next 2 days working on ladders, upside down (seemingly) putting up wood, nailing, and fussing because the ceiling was no where close to flat...but, don't get me started on poor house construction).

Anyway...to make a long story short....the new beam is up, finished with satin poly (did I mention how much I dislike the slow cure of poly?), the room is all painted, the ceiling fan is in its new location..properly in the center of the room at the crown of the ceiling, and all that is left to do is patch the hole where the ceiling fan once was. The LOML is happy and so am I. I just hated finding muscles that I hadn't used in a long while during the whole project!!!

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Saturday I tidied up some final installation details on my DC.

Moved the new b/s to it's final location and got it connected to the DC.

Saturday evening I took the LOML out to dinner at her favorite restaurant for a belated birthday celebration.

Sunday, I was planning on finishing the b/s checkout and installing the first blade on it.....phone rang.......spent the day at a hospital working on some equipment.

Late Sunday evening the LOML is doing laundry...discovered water in the bathroom next to the utility room. The drain for the washing machine is backing up ....flooding under the wall.......Did I mention I hate plumbing? Guess what I'll burn a day of vacation for today?

Matt Meiser
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Saturday morning I changed the oil in my truck and then put up some new lighting on the shop. I took down an older 175W one of these that has a photocell that's going bad (again):
http://www.cooperlighting.com/images/obgdatabase/Regent/150_x_150_nh1204m.jpg
and replaced it with a 65W one of these:
http://www.cooperlighting.com/images/obgdatabase/Regent/DL65FPCW.jpg
The new one is brighter and I figure it will save me about $60/year.

I also replaced a floodlight on the back of the shop that was just controlled by a switch with a motion light so that we actually get some use out of it. Both lights of course took way longer than they should have since I was working 16' off the ground in 30 degree weather.

Yesterday I spent time in the shop straightening up and then getting started on a toolbox I've promised LOMLjr since we got her a set of tools for her birthday last April. The plan was to fix up one my dad made me when I was her age, but upon further investigation it is in too bad of shape after spending many years in my parent's damp basement. So I started a new one made to the same design and dimensions. I got the basic box complete and hinges installed. I'll have her help me outfit the inside with storage for her tools and have her help me paint it.

Lee Koepke
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Spent the day with wifey on Saturday :D

Sunday gave my hedges and bushes a haircut. Layed in the hammock for awhile, very very nice day outside.

I also rough-cut some cherry for a side table I am gonna build.

Then we had a fish fry .. grouper and shrimp .. mmmmmm

Justin McCurdy
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM
I spent most of my time on Saturday and Sunday playing with my new Akeda dovetail jig. I think I would have saved 80 percent of my time had I just read the directions. The wife also convinced me to spend some time with her and Sketchup to map out the future basement remodel. Man, it looks cool. The wife had much better ideas than I did as to what actually should be done. Now to find a couple of grand in the couch cushions to get started with.

I also cleaner out my dc on Sunday. It seems like every time I do so the wind is blowing at 40mph.

Craig D Peltier
03-03-2008, 11:03 AM
Dug a trench and built a friend drain. I also punctured two sprinkler lines which I had to patch the pipes.
This is the joys of home ownership right??:cool:

glenn bradley
03-03-2008, 11:06 AM
I finally got LOML's grandma's dresser out of the shop (sentimental value "paint" job). Feel like I can strech out a bit now and get on with things.

Nancy Laird
03-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Got some laser deliveries made on Friday - more $$ for the coffers!!:) Had symphony tickets for Friday night, and enjoyed a great concert.

Saturday LOML and his friend and I got the new L-shaped countertop desk installed in the house office; 13 feet down one wall and 7 feet down the other. Three new cabinets under it - one drawer stack and two file stacks. Now to get the computer put back together and all of the paperwork re-filed in some sort of order, and to build a corner hutch for the desk.

Sunday was a day of rest for both of us--watched a lot of television, slept, and goofed off. Weather: Mother Nature is schizophrenic! It was nearly 70 on Saturday - overnight the temp dropped into the low 30s, and this morning we had a dusting of snow!! Someone ticked her off again!!

Have a good week, everyone!

Tom Conger
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
I finally finished a checkerboard for my son. He is only 4months. Maybe I will let him touch it when he is 17.

Light squares are maple, dark squares are wenge, sides are bocote, red checkers are turned from a block of Pink Ivory, and black from a block of ebony. All solid with no inlays.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83169&stc=1&d=1204561464
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=83170&stc=1&d=1204561774

Travis Gauger
03-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Well Me weekend actually started on Friday morning:D with a trip up to bay verte machine to take a look around. Friday afternoon was spent borrowing a truck and trailer to get the new planer home, Friday evening was spent with LOML explaning the purchase.:eek: Saturday morning was a run to the dump to get rid of the packaging from the new planer and then set up and trials in the afternoon. Saturday night turned into a large gathering of friends and family at my house and really dampened the shop time. Argh! But ALL day Sunday was spent milling some 8/4 Ash down for a table I'm building for the house. Oh the Planer! I suppose you want to know about the planer. Well it's a shopfox 1742, Solid unit. Heavy as a you know what! So far so good. I need to spend a little more time with it as it is still giving me a little snipe on the infeed side. I think it's just a table roller adjustment. Anyway, nice machine. I plan to run a few more bdft through it and then provide a nice write up on it.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Spent the day with wifey on Saturday :D

Sunday gave my hedges and bushes a haircut. Layed in the hammock for awhile, very very nice day outside.

I also rough-cut some cherry for a side table I am gonna build.

Then we had a fish fry .. grouper and shrimp .. mmmmmm

"Layed in hammock, had a fish fry"?????????? That's it, you're not allowed to post here any longer until the snow melts.

I shovelled snow (Again) , and went to the woodworking show in Toronto.

I watched Mag Ruffman host a seminar, and my wife obtained a signed Mag Ruffman calendar for the shop.

I also gave the Felder dealer a chunk of cash, which they will magically convert into a planer/jointer in Austria.

Regards, Rod.

Lori Kleinberg
03-03-2008, 1:41 PM
I have been working on scrolling a couple of graduation picture/scrap albums for my oldest son's girlfriend (graduating in May with her Master's) and for her older sister (graduating in May with a PhD). I will post a pic when they are done.
Also trying to complete a table for my drill press, will post a pic when and if it ever gets done.
Visited with some friends I hadn't seen in over a year.

Lee Koepke
03-03-2008, 2:01 PM
"Layed in hammock, had a fish fry"?????????? That's it, you're not allowed to post here any longer until the snow melts.

I shovelled snow (Again) , and went to the woodworking show in Toronto.

I watched Mag Ruffman host a seminar, and my wife obtained a signed Mag Ruffman calendar for the shop.

I also gave the Felder dealer a chunk of cash, which they will magically convert into a planer/jointer in Austria.

Regards, Rod.
:D

sorrry guys ... benefits of southern livin !!!

James Hendrix
03-03-2008, 2:39 PM
Finally had some decent weather and finished putting my new Jet Table saw together. I purchased on of the ProShop models with the cast wings. Had to recruit my 14 year old son to get those wings on. Little on the heavy side.

Went to Woodcraft for their big sale and purchased a Bench Dog router table. Spent Sunday putting it together. Then the weather turned cold and nasty and spent the rest of the evening watching TV with my kids.

Tim Thomas
03-03-2008, 2:54 PM
I cut a hole in the wall between my garage shop and an unfinished portion of my basement. Then I filled that hole with a 36 inch steel door. And then I spent several hours cleaning all of the drywall dust out of my shop and off of my tools. ARGH! I was hoping to get to some actual woodworking, but doing the door installation and subsequent cleanup took a lot longer than I originally thought. (Ain't that always the way it goes?)

The new door is going to work out great though, so it was worth the trouble. Now I can use this large unfinished basement area for wood storage and roll tools in there to free up more room to work in the garage. I'll have to post some pics up in the Workshops forum if I can ever get the place clean enough that I won't be embarrassed.

(One other benefit of putting in the door was that I had a reason to use my Porter Cable Tiger Saw. Man, I just LOVE that freakin' thing. Unfortunately it usually just sits in its case, waiting to unleash its reciprocating fury at a moments notice. **Insert Caveman Grunting Here**)

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2008, 4:09 PM
Weekend was a mixed bag. On the good side, I got the fourth cabinet, a base version, roughed out and pre-finished and will be putting that together shortly. I also managed to find and purchase a used Evinrude boat motor that I have been needing for my boat for bass fishing. On the down side, the wife decided to back into the garage Sunday evening and make a real mess of things. Life continues to be fun!

Travis Gauger
03-03-2008, 4:17 PM
Weekend was a mixed bag. On the good side, I got the fourth cabinet, a base version, roughed out and pre-finished and will be putting that together shortly. I also managed to find and purchase a used Evinrude boat motor that I have been needing for my boat for bass fishing. On the down side, the wife decided to back into the garage Sunday evening and make a real mess of things. Life continues to be fun!

Ouch! That doesn't look good.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2008, 4:18 PM
Fred,

When the weather gets better, that shouldn't be that difficult to repair. I'd frame in a temporary wall with crossbracing. Make it about 1" too short. Cut some 2x4 wedges on your table saw. Drive them in place over the top of the wall to take the load of the damage wall. Remove the damage bocks and replace them. Let the mortar dry. Remove the wedges and disassemble the temporary wall. I had to replace the header on my carport; bought the new engineer-recommended header and could not for the life of me figure out how to safely get it into place. While riding horseback in the wilderness here in Idaho, I saw how a guy was raising a log and stick build historic fire lookout to replace the bottom logs that were ground rotted. I came home and used my above described procedure; raised my carport roof enough to replace the header. Worked well!

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2008, 5:27 PM
Well, with life knowing how to "Balance out things" this (pic below) came today in the mail from the Handyman Club of America. :D So not everything is wrong with the world. I can put that one with the dozen or so I have already.:rolleyes:

As to the garage damage, I have a buddy in the carpentry business that came over after work today and gave me an estimate. He has someone to do his mason work also. We are going through our homeowners insurance. I don't want anything to do with the work involved. I'm to aggravated to consider it. I've got enough to do already to have this added to my burden.

Jim Becker
03-03-2008, 7:01 PM
As predicted, I didn't get to do very much on Saturday outside of some of the communications terminations in the addition. Sunday I did get in the shop and pulled a good bit of the cherry of my rack to see if I can find any acceptable material for rails and stiles for the wet bar. I previously veneered some stock for that, but am unhappy with the results due to a mental mistake...

I'm taking a few days off starting on Wednesday and will get quite a bit of time in the shop over the coming week and weekend.

Dave Avery
03-03-2008, 9:08 PM
Dining table joinery and construction complete. Sanding beyond 120 and finish is "all" that remains. As a special bonus, got my standard Nikon lens back from warranty service today so I'll be able to take and post pictures of the table - along with a recently completed Shaker (sorta) style dresser (really a TV stand) - some time soon.

A note to Mr. Becker....... veneer work - while rewarding - is fairly intolerant of mental lapses......... While I've had my share of successes, the failures are more memorable. Best. Dave.

JayStPeter
03-03-2008, 9:13 PM
I built some storage. First, a cabinet to hold some Plano storage boxes for my hardware. I moved my screws and jig hardware from some cheap plastic drawer units on my miter saw station and was able to use the wall space behind it to hang a piece of plywood and start hanging some tools on it.
I made another storage cabinet also, but an equipment malfunction caused a couple panels to be out of square. It was late and I could see my shop time coming to an end, so I forcefully assembled it without really checking. I actually thought my decent plywood was as bad as the junk I used last. Now I'll probably saw it back apart since it is a drawer unit and I doubt I can get drawers to slide reasonably in it. Fixed said piece of equipment so it doesn't happen again.