PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your firewood

Bob Moyer
03-03-2008, 9:35 AM
With the high cost of fuel oil, I need to store more wood, I normally store it on my porch, but I am looking to store more outside my garage. My better half wants it to look organized and fit into out landscaping, any suggestions.

Dave Anderson NH
03-03-2008, 9:48 AM
Right now mine is stacked between 2 trees and covered with a tarp supported by a rope strung between the trees like the ridgeline of a tent. Since I live on 2 heavilt forested acres this is fine and doesn't present and eyesore. Back many years ago when I lived in suburbia and we were on a 1/3 acre lot with many houses all around us I took a different approach. I built a 2 cord woodshed supported on concrete blocks. The construction was pressure treated 2x8 floor joists covered with 3/4" pressure treated plywood. The frame was 2x4s sheathed with 1/2" ply and covered with cedar shingles to match the house. It had a shed roof with asphalt shingles overhanging both the front and back. The front was open and the back had 4 windows openings about 1x2 feet covered with screen for ventilation. Overall fooprint was 4x16 feet.

Rod Torgeson
03-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Bob.....This is how I store my firewood. I also have quite a stash in the barn. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

James Suzda
03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I've got about 3/4 of my wood supply stored outside stacked on 4x4's to keep it off the ground and the stack is covered by a large blue tarp. I also have about 7 full cord stacked in my garage/workshop to use when I cannot get outside because of nasty weather to load up my little trailer.
BTW, the only heat source I have is a wood fired boiler in the basement! The last time I bought fuel oil it was 17 cents a gallon!! (It was too high then too!)

Tyler Howell
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Works well!!!

Ken Werner
03-03-2008, 4:17 PM
Tyler is everything you do top shelf? Looks good!
I keep mine on an old deck sitting about 6" off the ground. 4 rows wide, 13' long. On top is a brown tarp. Some ventilation, dries well.

Fred Voorhees
03-03-2008, 5:35 PM
This isn't the best picture for the task as it is more of a picture of my outdoor shed when I completed it. But, you can see a portion of one of my firewood sheds to the left of the picture. This is half of one of them. T-111 siding and simply framed out with a bunch of 2x6 lumber I got off of a jog a long time ago. This particular shed holds about three cords. I have another shed alongside of that that holds roughly another 1 1/2 cords.

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2008, 7:00 PM
Works well!!!

Dang Tyler..!!!!!!!
That's AWESOME!!! Very pretty building and what a way to store firewood!!!! :cool: :cool:

Dennis Peacock
03-03-2008, 7:02 PM
Bob.....This is how I store my firewood. I also have quite a stash in the barn. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Rod, I store mine kinda like that...more accurately like Dave Anderson does. :rolleyes:
Your wood is too neat looking....you just measure every log cut to make it all look that neat and pretty.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2008, 7:23 PM
Dang Tyler..!!!!!!!
That's AWESOME!!! Very pretty building and what a way to store firewood!!!! :cool: :cool:
The center portion is an old DNR building. The lean-to on the sides were added later and the windows come from a store in down town Grand Marais.

It has a lot more stuff since this was taken and about 6 more cords of wood.

Bob Rufener
03-03-2008, 8:34 PM
I have mine stacked on some skids that I got for free. Helps to keep it off of the ground and it allows air to circulate better. I don't cover mine but it's best if you can. A friend drove some pipe into the ground and attached some cable to the tops of the posts to keep them from leaning out. It helped keep a neat stack.

Curt Fuller
03-03-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm guilty of throwing it in a pile. But this is one of the coolest wood piles I've ever seen. Wish I knew whose it was so I could give them credit....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/pic03141.jpg

David G Baker
03-03-2008, 11:07 PM
I am not sure what it is called, there is a way that wood is stacked in a circle. The system is supposed to be very efficient and great for drying wood. Holz Hausen is the name of the wood stacking method, do a Google for photos of the method.

Curt Doles
03-05-2008, 7:25 AM
When we moved into this house, it had a 30 x 60 pole building with a 8 x 60 overhang with a poured floor over the whole area. The overhang seemed like a waste of good space so I enclosed 32 feet and left the other 28 for firewood and other purposes.

It has worked well. The building is 125 feet from the house so I keep a large deck box filled on the deck, just outside the patio doors.

Seems to have worked well...

Curt

Roger Bell
03-08-2008, 9:55 PM
This attached to a pole building as an alternative to building a separate shed.

Tim Morton
03-09-2008, 9:00 AM
Its a wood pile...make it look like a wood pile:eek:

Sorry I'm from vermont...we don't get too into impressing the neighbors with a pile of wood:D

Build an overhang on the side of your garage and stack it neatly...if you must add a few well placed stepping stones and edge it with some perennials...;)

James Suzda
03-09-2008, 9:35 AM
I'm guilty of throwing it in a pile. But this is one of the coolest wood piles I've ever seen. Wish I knew whose it was so I could give them credit....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb319/clfuller1_2007/pic03141.jpg
Some people have WAY too much time on their hands. But, I must admit its quite the wood pile!

David Wilhelm
03-10-2008, 8:14 AM
that guy has too much time on his hands LOL

David Wilhelm
03-10-2008, 8:16 AM
I leave me wood outside when i move it inside to my wood shed it is then stacked above ground and the area is well treated for termites.