PDA

View Full Version : outdoor smoker (grill) advice?

Chris Oakley
03-15-2004, 2:13 PM
Since this forum seems to be filled with people who appreciate value for a good price, I thought I'd ask: I'm looking for a outdoor smoker to BBQ on. I have a cheap $30 one from the BORG and an electric one that was passed down from my grandfather. I'm wanting to get a little more serious, but only spend less than $300. Does anyone have a good smoker they'd recommend.

James Carmichael
03-15-2004, 5:13 PM
Since this forum seems to be filled with people who appreciate value for a good price, I thought I'd ask: I'm looking for a outdoor smoker to BBQ on. I have a cheap $30 one from the BORG and an electric one that was passed down from my grandfather. I'm wanting to get a little more serious, but only spend less than $300. Does anyone have a good smoker they'd recommend.

Chris,

One of the better gifts LOML ever gave me was a Charbroil BigEasy gas grill from the Borg. The grill has 3 burners and an outside burner for ??. My only complaint is the wimpy pressure of the outside burner, only about 9,000 BTUs, enough to heat up your beans, but not enough to fry fish, which is what I wanted to do with it so I don't stink up the house.

But overall, I love it, we seldom cook meat in the house anymore. As a smoker, I still prefer good old charcoal, the gas get's too hot and cooks the meat too fast.

Since it was a gift, I'm not sure how much it cost but I think <$300, she got a price match from the Borg.

Joe Tonich
03-15-2004, 6:17 PM
Chris,

I use a BRINKMAN GRILL-KING that LOML bought me from WallMart for about $100. It's grilling area is about 16"x 30" which is great for a family sized meal or LOTS of burgers & weinies for a picnic. :D Close up the vents a bit on it & you can slow cook like a smoker. I use lump charcoal & it tastes & smells like I'm cooking on a campfire. :D I also use an electric charcoal starter as I hate the taste & fumes of lighter fluid. I had a propane grill ( like new ) that I gave to a neighbor because I can't cook right on it. Too many hot & cool spots to get even cooking and could never get the temp. right. :mad:

Joe - the neighbors call me the "GRILLMEISTER" of Parma Hts. :p

Ed Falis
03-15-2004, 6:37 PM
Chris,

I don't know what the price is, but I've heard that the Weber Smokey Joe isn't a bad one. (I've got a Big Green Egg, after having a Coleman and some other brand steel smokers).

- Ed

Steven Wilson
03-15-2004, 6:40 PM

When I left Houston for Saudi I had to sell my trailer smoker and settle for something a bit smaller. I bought a Weber "Smokey Mountain Cooker" and use it whenever I get a hankerin' for some brisket done right. It's served me 10 years in Saudi and 5 back here. I also have a Weber Platinum II 3200 that's served well for the last 5 years and it has a little smoker pan where I can place wood chips and water and get a fairly decent flavor; it's nice for regular grilling but I like to use the Smokey Mountain Cooker for smokin' a brisket, a bunch of rib, turkey, a few chickens, or nice leg of lamb.

Jason Roehl
03-15-2004, 7:16 PM
Best on the market for the price, hands down, IM(NS)HO:

http://www.chargriller.com/

I have had one for 3-4 years with the optional side firebox and I bought the cover. All told, I think I have just over $200 into it, and it's still going strong. Great for smoking (I've done brats, a turkey, salmon, ribs, etc.), and the grilling surface is HUGE, and the grates are a heavy cast iron that will last forever. Even when I'm just grilling up some steaks or something, I'll toss in a couple chunks of hickory to add some flavor. Mmmm.......

BTW, "If the smoke is white, the fire's right. If the smoke is black, add some draft."

Tony Falotico
03-15-2004, 7:17 PM
A subject near and dear to my heart, FOOD! I have the Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe (double barrel). As you can see from the pic, mine has been well used. The small barrel for the fire, the food goes in the big side. Cooked real slow, indirect heat from a hardwood fire, smoked just to perfection makes ribs, chicken, pork, turkey sooo good it's almost evil. I've even smoked fresh fish on it. If in a hurry, you can cook in the small barrel, or just spread you coals in the big side and cook directly over the heat.

As a matter of fact, LOML is warming up some chicken I smoked Saturday evening for supper tonight. Mine is so well used I ended up buying one for my son's birthday last year, and one for my son in law for Christmas. Both of them love it and use their's probably more often than I use mine. They cost about $170 and can be found at the most of the big box stores.

Greg Heppeard
03-15-2004, 8:03 PM
I'd like to suggest different woods...I know for a fact that cherry is great...sweeter than hickory. You can also use apple or pear.

Jason Roehl
03-16-2004, 6:35 AM
I'd like to suggest different woods...I know for a fact that cherry is great...sweeter than hickory. You can also use apple or pear.

Yeah, I've started using cherry a little bit, but any of the fruit or nut woods are good for smoking. I like hickory for steaks because it gives off strong flavor very quickly, much more so than cherry, and you don't leave steaks on the grill very long.

Arvin Brown
03-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Here is a great one - made of ceramic so it holds the heat very good which is important when smoking meat. You can also use peach, mesquite chips.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Chris Padilla
03-16-2004, 2:02 PM
Oak is my favorite for smoking meat...try it.

Ed Falis
03-16-2004, 5:23 PM
Arvin,

I've got an Egg. After three different metal ones, it's the best.

- Ed

Joe Bourbois
03-17-2004, 12:13 AM
Chris, I've owned a number of smokers: water smokers, barrel smokers, etc. I've learned that there are a number of key features to look for in good performing offset firebox smoker.

Heavy gauge steel. Helps maintain even heat. Very important to the low and slow cooking concept.

Chimney that extends down even to the cooking grate. This allows for even heating across the cooking surface. Many smokers have a chimney that is even with the top of the smoker cavity. This encourages the heat to exit the firebox, ride along the top of the smoker cavity and out the chimney. Thus the heat travels above the meat. A chimney that extends down even with the grate pulls the heat across the meat. If you get a smoker that doesn't have a chimney that extends all the way down, you can just roll up some roof flashing stick into the chimney as an extension down to the grate.

Good seal all the way around, especially at the doors. You want the heat to escape from the chimney, and nowhere else. That's not practical, but the closer to that ideal you can get, the better.

Couple of other things:
Measure the temperature at the grate. Many smokers have a dial thermometer built into the lid, but it only extends an inch or so into the cavity. That would measure the smoker temp well above the meat you are cooking.
Use the fire box to control airflow. I don't like to choke off the chimney. It will sometimes impart an acrid taste to the meat.
Any of the fruitwoods like cherry or apple make very nice flavored smoke, especially for pork. Oak or hickory are good too, especially for things like brisket.

Enjoy! Smokers are great.

Ed Falis
03-17-2004, 1:51 PM
Good tips, Joe. I'm going to have to play with your chimney idea.

Thanks!

- Ed

Jeff Cybulski
03-17-2004, 9:56 PM

Chris - 3 words....Weber Smoky Mountain.... You can get one for about $180 on Amazon. Also check out the newsgroup Alt.Food.Barbecue for a lot of good info

Jeff

Chris Oakley
03-18-2004, 10:26 AM
Chris - 3 words....Weber Smoky Mountain.... You can get one for about $180 on Amazon. Also check out the newsgroup Alt.Food.Barbecue for a lot of good info

Jeff

Jeff:

I ordered the WSM after checking out virtualbullet.com and other websites. According to Amazon it will arrive Saturday. I'm hoping to be munching on pulled pork Sunday.

Thanks to all for their advice.