PDA

View Full Version : New butt chisels

Mark Stutz
03-02-2008, 10:10 PM
At some point in time, everyone needs chisels...the more the merrier!:D With a little patience, a decent set can be put together one at a time. Wood didn't want to cooperate this weekend, so I turned to metal!

Figure I have about $570 in these...counting my time at $100/hr!:eek: Seriously, I've averaged about $10 a chisel. Over time, I'll probably eventually turn matching handles, and hopefully upgrade some, but they all work very well.

L to R, Craftsman, Diamond Edge, Swan, Eclipse, Made in USA, Buck Bros., and Stanley Handyman. You'll note the empty spot for the 5/8...still looking. (Would trade a nice Witherby 1/2" paring chisel sans handle)

Roger Bell
03-03-2008, 9:11 PM
I have a couple of bevel edge socket chisels in 5/8" that might be available for trade.

gary Zimmel
03-04-2008, 4:47 PM
Nice looking family..

When is the last one going to arrive?

Mark Stutz
03-04-2008, 8:46 PM
That's the bad part about putting together a set this way. Must have lots of patience!:D But sooner rather than later, I hope.

Mark

Jim Dunn
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Mark I'd have thought you'd of had about a hundred chisels by now:)

Nice looking set. Can't wait to see the new handles.

Mark Stutz
03-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Jim,
Surely you are confusing me with Tom!:D;) He's the one with hundreds...I only have 25 or 30!:eek:

Mark

Gary Herrmann
03-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Jim,
Surely you are confusing me with Tom!:D;) He's the one with hundreds...I only have 25 or 30!:eek:

Mark

Another reason you're always welcome at my house, Mark. You're a good barometer for the wife to see. ;)

Tom Sontag
03-05-2008, 7:41 PM
Hey, I do not own hundreds. Any more.

I confess I do have a drawer with a couple dozen pieces of metal needing work. And two complete sets, from 1/8" to 2", one of firmers, the other bevel edges. And that small bucket of items that did NOT contain a 5/8". Not counting the japanese set and the specialty mortise or dovetail ones etc. Turning tools can be called chisels too, but they clearly don't count for this discussion. Same with carving, which is what the first couple dozen mentioned above are about.

So, in summary, aside from the bucketed couple dozen waiting to be eBayed, I only wonder why I have the set of firmers. And my answer is going to be different bevel angles, so I can explain almost everything. If any of the above sounds like rationalizing to you, you are on the wrong forum.

James Carmichael
03-06-2008, 6:50 AM
Jim,

Mark

Precisely why I do not recommend new WWs try to start with "vintage" chisels, it takes time.

Personally, I'm hooked on Greenlee ever since I found a nice 3/8" for $1 at a local pawn shop. That $1 chisel will end up costing me a fortune!

The collection now includes: Greenlee, Pexto, Swan, Wards, and Woodcock Sheffield.

I've got several brand new Marples 5/8" with the boxwood handles.