PDA

View Full Version : Pencil cabinet progress made

Jim Dunn
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I'm starting a pencil box/cabinet for my wife's colored pencil collection. This is the first post http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=78037.

I made a little progress this weekend, what with the warm 70+ degree day I spent most of my time outside:eek:, with the trays material.

Each of the pieces you see, 22 in all, have 7 slots. Each piece will be glued to two others making the width 21 slots wide by 8" long. So I've made about enough slots for 308 pencils. A "very" small dent in the amount of pencils she has but about what she normally has on hand when she is drawing.

Each of the trays will have a hinge mech., still to be decided upon, so as to allow each tray to raise up from the back side. The design is sort of like a draw bridge. Each drawer/tray being accessible from both sides of the cabinet.

I hope this making sense to everyone. I don't know how to use sketch-up and I think it would really help to prove my design will work:o

In the middle pictures it shows the 1/2" spacing I am using for the slots. Ripped some 1/2" MDF 1" wide and use it in 1/2" settings make the cuts.

Thanks for looking. I'll post more after I get the carcase finished.

Gary Herrmann
03-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Unless I missed it, you didn't tell us what the overall design is...

308 pencils. I don't know if I've owned 308 pencils in my life. Wow.

You need a cup of coffee. Now.

Jim Dunn
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Gary I've drank about 20 cups already this weekend. I'm gearing up for the storm that's heading this way.

Basically the thing is going to be about 14" wide by 16" deep by about 12" tall. It will have a quilted? maple top and bottom with walnut sides. Open front and back so the trays will slide from either end. That way each tray will hold 44 pencils. It will be mounted on a lazy-susan type spinny device.