PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw Problem

Vernon Taylor
03-02-2008, 8:47 PM
Cutting pine one-by into 3/4 " strips to make log ser for grandkids,ripping with the grain against fence set at 3/4 and using Grippers. Blade is WW2, My saw stopped 3 times apparently thermal overload as it would start again after a few minutes. Cuts are clean with no burning. I have never experienced this with this saw before it is a 3hp single phase on a dedicated circuit Marathon motor, saw was bought in 97,moter restarts and sounds normal. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

Leo Graywacz
03-02-2008, 8:55 PM
Cutting pine one-by into 3/4 " strips to make log ser for grandkids,ripping with the grain against fence set at 3/4 and using Grippers. Blade is WW2, My saw stopped 3 times apparently thermal overload as it would start again after a few minutes. Cuts are clean with no burning. I have never experienced this with this saw before it is a 3hp single phase on a dedicated circuit Marathon motor, saw was bought in 97,moter restarts and sounds normal. Any suggestions as to what is happening?

Sounds like your heaters in your magnetic starter are getting weak or have become mis-adjusted. Take the cover off the on/off switch. Down towards the bottom there is a small slot screw adjustment with some amperage numbers on it. Move it up a bit towards a larger number. Do this until you no longer have a problem. Shouldn't be more than 1-2 amps. My saw was on the touchy side when I got it. I did this and it works fine without tripping out now.

Pete Bradley
03-02-2008, 9:49 PM
I'd eliminate other causes before reducing the protection at the starter. Make sure the arbor and motor spin freely and smoothly. If you've recently changed the way your feeding power to the machine it's also possible that something is awry there.

Pete

Pat Germain
03-03-2008, 10:30 AM
Buy a used Unisaw!

Oh, wait. You've already got one. Never mind... ;)

Vernon Taylor
03-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Buy a used Unisaw!

Oh, wait. You've already got one. Never mind... ;)May have to use my BT3000 backup saw.:mad: Thanks for the replys I have not got back out to the shop today but will check the switch.Ironically just last week I told LOML how I enjoyed the unisaw and that it really was not a complicated machine. I have not had a single problom with it until now and this sounds like it will be readily fixable.

Paulo Matthew
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Do you experience the same problem with other workpieces such as 3/4" plywood or dry hardwood? If the pine is especially resinous it can quickly muck up your blade so you might check that as well.

Paulo