PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Saw blade storage

Walt Nicholson
03-02-2008, 8:18 PM
Another creeker shared a link for plastic bottles for storing things
http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/1367nother so I ordered some (30 of them for $15 bucks) and made a quick storage rack for my scroll saw blades. I used a piece of 1X6 and drilled holes for the tubes (they have a lip towards the top that keeps them from going all the way through) The scroll saw stand flares out at the front so one row is shorter than the other so the tubes will clear underneath. I drilled a hole in one corner and inserted a nylon bushing. I replaced the front mounting bolt on the stand with a longer bolt. I put additional nuts with washers on either side of the board, filled the tubes with my blades and called it good. I can swivel it out when needed then swing it back when I'm done.:D

Steve Mellott
03-02-2008, 9:10 PM
Walt:

This looks pretty good! How did you label the tubes so you know which blade is in which tube? Thanks.

Steve

Mark Patoka
03-02-2008, 9:22 PM
I like it! I might just have to try something similiar to that. I currently have mine in similar plastic bottles but they sit in a lazy susan type setup. I only have about a half dozen different blades I use.

Walt Nicholson
03-02-2008, 9:41 PM
Steve, I haven't done that yet but will print some of the clear peel and stick labels from Avery and put them on the tops. I did that on the drill storage unit http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76466&highlight=drill+storage that I made and they worked out really well. Thanks

Ray Turney
03-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I use plastic cigar containers with a top to put my blades in and drop some rice in to avoid moisture. I just take a piece of tape and wrap it around a printed label with the blade size. I store these tubes in a piece of 4by 4 that I drilled out with a forstner bit that sits on a bench by the saw.Works good for me, but your setup looks really nice.

Brian Loucks
03-03-2008, 7:05 AM
Ask your friendly pharmacist for some 16 dram prescription vials.
They work great for holding sawblades and other assorted small items.
The top edge holds them in place and if you put the cap on theyare waterproof.
Might cost you a cup of coffee though.

charlie kapper
03-03-2008, 7:52 AM
Are the tubes you purchased referred to as Baby Soda Bottle -Test Tubes? I can't seem to find anything else on the site you reference.

regards,
Charlie

Walt Nicholson
03-03-2008, 8:57 AM
Charlie, those are the ones. They are very hard, thick plastic and look like test tubes. Their main use is to be put in heated molds, filled with very hot air, expanded to several times their size and become the large soda containers we buy in the store. Thus the name "baby soda bottles". This place apparently gets them from the manufacturer and they work really great for storing small items.