PDA

View Full Version : X4 - Is it worth it?

Chuck Mitchell
03-02-2008, 7:12 PM
I currently have Version 12 and also X3...is the X4 upgrade worth it???

Robert Ray
03-02-2008, 9:38 PM
I currently have Version 12 and also X3...is the X4 upgrade worth it???

I just upgraded from Corel 11 to X4, but I have bugs with it. On the main system I want to run it on, I cannot save, save as, or save as template without getting the A.R.M. crash. The only way I can use it is to copy a Corel 11 file, then draw with that, and save. The file gets converted to an X14 file, and can be saved on future updates. Each time I exit the program I get the instruction at "0x65207e5d "referenced memory at "0x0197bff0". the memory could not be "read".

If I try to create a new drawing, it crashes at save, save as, or save as template. This is on my main computer with 2 screens, the one I use for Corel drawing.

On my garage computer I had Corel 11, and us it just to print to the laser, so i upgraded it to X4. It actually functions correctly, however upon exit I get the the instruction at "0x65207e5d "referenced memory at "0x0197bff0". the memory could not be "read" error also.

So, I must say for me, X4 is buggy at best. That said, I really like the newer drawing features over Corel 11, which was the last time I upgraded.
Both of my computers are Athlon X2 5600 based, running XP. I tried everything, including reloading windows, and only installing X4 software, to make sure no other software is causing a conflict.

-Robert

Todd Schwartz
03-02-2008, 9:57 PM
Chuck - I just upgraded to X4 this weekend. Have used it to do some very basic stuff. The upgrade from 12 to X4 was worth it in features and so far the items I have run through trace have been much better than 12, love the radius tool (there is another thread discussing this), do miss the character docker though. Still need to run it through its paces but so far so good.

Todd

Anthony Scira
03-04-2008, 7:22 PM
I'll usually buy any upgrade for any product I use or in this case try to use.

So yes I bought it and it looks really pretty. So far it has not done anything that X3 did not do. (But that comes from someone not knowing what hes doing)

Well there is the integrated "What The Font" Thats kinda cool.

And the biggest reason I bought it was for the documentation. I did not have the binder that showed all the clipart that came with X3.

So it was worth the 189 bucks.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
03-05-2008, 4:07 PM
The crash on save isn't ringing any bells...I've heard that a few folks have problems with the autobackup not being able to so save (which we're trying to figure out) but regular saving works fine for them.

The crash on exit is probably because snap to grid is on when exiting.

T.

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2008, 8:28 PM
The crash on exit is probably because snap to grid is on when exiting.I was able to recreate that bug...no big deal, since I don't normally use that feature.

But on the Corel website support "Knowledgebase", doing searches for "snap-to-grid" or "snap to grid" for CorelDRAW X4 gave zero results. Wrong search term or is there a separate database for active bug reports?

Robert Ray
03-06-2008, 3:59 PM
Yes, the snap to grid is what causes the crash on exit. I will have to live with it until SP1 comes out.

Being that I use Corel to draw Z Scale model railroad craftsman kits, I need the snap to grid to make sure all the pieces line up for perfect fits. If I draw a wompus line, it shows up as huge gap or worse. I love Sanp to Grid! :D

As far as the Save issue on my main computer with X4, the only way I can use it is to create the drawing in Corel 11, then open with X4 and do my drawing, the I can Save, and the file gets upgraded to X4. Then I use to windows to copy the file, so I have a backup.

I can then take a copy to my garage computer, and save as a Corel 11 file, then take it back to my main computer. I use Corel 11 as the default program to open .cdr files until this problem is solved, or I purchase a new computer in a few years.

I hate to upgrade software of any kind, because every time, I get bit by a new learning curve and all the bugs, just to get a few new features.

I wish the software companies would offer feature modules (patch upgrades) to older versions of software instead of writing new versions, and save new versions for different operating systems.

There is another annoyance to the new Corel, when I select and drag a drawing, it leaves cascading trails of the drawing until I drop it.

-Robert

Bill Cunningham
03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
The crash on save isn't ringing any bells...I've heard that a few folks have problems with the autobackup not being able to so save (which we're trying to figure out) but regular saving works fine for them.

The crash on exit is probably because snap to grid is on when exiting.

T.

Auto backup has never worked for me in 12, only backup on save works.. I had designated a folder for the backups, but nothing ever goes there!