PDA

View Full Version : How about a small shop? Heavy on the small!!

Brad Noble
03-02-2008, 5:25 PM
I'll try and post some pics up here from my shop. Pics were taken today, Sunday March 2, 2008. And no, its not very clean.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0013-1.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0015.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0020.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0022.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/PICT0019.jpg

Just thought it was time for me to share a little view of my corner of heaven.

Brad

Greg Peterson
03-02-2008, 6:56 PM
You must be a clean freak:D. Looks almost sterile to me.

A nice, cozy and inviting shop you have there.

I've see shops that are bigger than my house. I'm sure a lot of space is nice and useful, but the smaller shops tend to be more interesting to me. Perhaps because I can relate to and appreciate the nature of smaller shops.

I enjoy seeing how others address the space limitations of shops. Thanks for sharing.

Brad Noble
03-02-2008, 7:02 PM
You must be a clean freak:D. Looks almost sterile to me.

Notice I didn't show any pictures of the floor.

A nice, cozy and inviting shop you have there.

Thanks, I really like it although sometimes I wish for just a little more room. BTW, it's 16' x 24'.

I've see shops that are bigger than my house. I'm sure a lot of space is nice and useful, but the smaller shops tend to be more interesting to me. Perhaps because I can relate to and appreciate the nature of smaller shops.

I enjoy seeing how others address the space limitations of shops. Thanks for sharing.

You're quite welcome.

Brad

Leigh Betsch
03-02-2008, 9:17 PM
Mini Max, Hitachi, DeWalt, Incra looks like you have it all coming together. My old shop was 1 stall of a 3 stall garage and believe me it was much cheaper to heat than my shop now. I have a big shop because I happen to have a big buildings but in the end woodworking is all about quality of your work not the size if your shop. :) Of course a big shop means you can have more tools, which is 1/2 the fun of the hobby anyway.

Roger Warford
03-02-2008, 9:43 PM
I think all those clamps are just getting in your way. I can take them off your hands for you! :D

Looks great!

Don Bullock
03-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Nice shop and well equipped. That jointer looks very interesting. It seems to be perfect for a small shop.

Larry Fox
03-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Very nice and well equiped - I would say heavy on the clean also.

Matt Meiser
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Looks like a nice place to spend some time.

Mike Langford
03-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Great use of space, Brad.

My first shop was a 8' x 16' Leonard Aluminum Utility Building....stayed in it for 11 yrs. until I built my 20' x 28' in '93.

Just about all my tools were at arm's length!

btw - what is the chunk of wood with the handle on it on your router table....an early American antique push-stick??:confused:

gary Zimmel
03-03-2008, 1:23 AM
Brad

Nice looking shop. Looks like a great place to spend alot of time...

Jim Sears
03-03-2008, 6:42 AM
Did you have the air cleaner last time I was down?? I don't remember seeing it.

BTW. Regarding the piece laying on the router table. Nice work so far squaring up that log. And to think you only used a ROS. ;)

Michael Gibbons
03-03-2008, 7:55 AM
Brad, Is that thing on the router table a mallet or a large putter? Could you show a pic of the outside of your shop?

Brad Noble
03-03-2008, 9:56 AM
Brad, Is that thing on the router table a mallet or a large putter? Could you show a pic of the outside of your shop?

Well, my son-in-law has aquired an old barn and there were several of these things mounted to the walls around the livestock bays. I suspect that they were either saddle or bridal 'hangers' for lack of any real knowledge about them. I just found one I could remove without much trouble.

Picture of the outside? I think I have one here, hold on:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/Exterior_Shop.jpg

It was still under construction somewhat but here ya go.

Brad

Brad Noble
03-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Did you have the air cleaner last time I was down?? I don't remember seeing it.

Yes, it was there. Got it from Mark at his sale, remember?

BTW. Regarding the piece laying on the router table. Nice work so far squaring up that log. And to think you only used a ROS. ;)

I got your squared log and all that Jimbo. That piece is actually out of an old barn that Don had given to him. Some of the straightest oak boards and 4x4 and 4x6's and even 6x8's I have ever seen. And long.

Brad

Brad Noble
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
btw - what is the chunk of wood with the handle on it on your router table....an early American antique push-stick??:confused:

That's just too funny. See my other replies for info about the early American push stick. :p

Brad

Brad Noble
03-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Nice shop and well equipped. That jointer looks very interesting. It seems to be perfect for a small shop.

Actually, its an old Hitachi F1000A combo 6" jointer and 12" planer. Mounted on a homemade (not by me) wheeled cart it works pretty well.

Brad

Bruce Page
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Brad, that's a nice shop and a really cool jointer!

Norman Pyles
03-03-2008, 11:52 PM
Nice looking shop, about the same size as mine.:cool: Easy to heat, cool, and you don't have to go far to find anything. What kind of jointer is that?

Brad Noble
03-04-2008, 7:51 AM
Nice looking shop, about the same size as mine.:cool: Easy to heat, cool, and you don't have to go far to find anything. What kind of jointer is that?

Norman,

Thanks. It is easy to heat and cool, for sure. The jointer is only part of a combo jointer/planer made by Hitachi. It's a model F1000A. Very old, very heavy and doesn't do a bad job although dust collection is terrible.

Brad

Brad Noble
03-05-2008, 9:05 PM
Great use of space, Brad.

My first shop was a 8' x 16' Leonard Aluminum Utility Building....stayed in it for 11 yrs. until I built my 20' x 28' in '93.

You know, I have gone back and re-read this post a few times now and I have to say my hats off to you for working in an 8' x 16' for eleven years.

Just about all my tools were at arm's length!

I can only imagine.

I don't know about the "great use of space" but it certainly is cozy.

Brad

Mike Steinhilper
03-07-2008, 5:20 PM
Brad, do you like your Shop Vac hang up? Is that your dust collection or just for general clean up?

Brad Noble
03-07-2008, 8:01 PM
Brad, do you like your Shop Vac hang up? Is that your dust collection or just for general clean up?

Hi Mike,

I like the Shop-Vac wall mounted system. It is dust collection for my RAS, my 4" belt and 6" wheel sanding station and I'm going to try it out on my router table (when I'm done with an upcoming remodel).

My real dust collection is a Grizzly G0440 2 HP Cyclone. It runs down the opposite wall in the shop.

But I will say this, the shop-vac system is the cats meow for me when its time to clean the shop. The hose that comes with it is long enough to reach anywhere in my shop (well, almost anywhere).

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h20/bpnoble/DC_Closet.jpg

Theres a peak, FWIW. Same room houses my air compressor.

Brad