PDA

View Full Version : Sjoelbak anyone?

Charlie Schultz
03-02-2008, 4:43 PM
Just finished this Sjoelbak game (Dutch shuffleboard). The bottom is maple plywood, all other pieces are red oak and finished with shellac. The playing pieces (30) are maple. Overall dimensions are approx 6' long x 18" wide.

If you're interested, I got the plans on the web- google sjoelbak dempsey woodworking.

Jeff Hallam
03-02-2008, 4:59 PM
I gather that you just get different amounts of points by sliding the piece into the openings. How do the pieces slide? Do they have ball bearings or something underneath?

Neat idea for a cottage game..

Jeff

Charlie Schultz
03-02-2008, 6:52 PM
Jeff,
Right- you try to slide the disks into the compartments (each compartment has a different point value). The disks are slightly concave and waxed. The table is also waxed, so they slide pretty good (no bearings).

Darryl deHaan
03-02-2008, 7:21 PM
Man, that brings back memories of playing at Oma and Opa's. Many'a family get together ended up being a huge sjoelbak tourney. Great work!

Darryl

Art Mulder
03-03-2008, 9:30 PM
Where did you get the pucks!? There doesn't seem to be many (any?) suppliers on this side of the pond.

Charlie Schultz
03-04-2008, 6:39 AM
Art,
I couldn't find any either, so I just turned them.

Art Mulder
03-04-2008, 8:08 AM
And you made them concave also? Wow.

And I just remembered, and dug through my email... several months ago I found a place at www.dutchgames.us that imports the pucks from holland. They sell complete games on their website, but I asked and they will sell just the pucks if you contact them.

Tim Thomas
03-04-2008, 8:50 AM
I really like the dimensions of the game board. Because of the low profile it looks like it would be easy to just lean it up against a wall, put it in a closet or under a couch when not in use. One of the main problems I have with games like pool, foosball, air hockey, etc. is that when you aren't playing them you have this huge game table taking up space. Sjoelbak looks like fun AND it won't take over an entire room. Thanks for sharing, I just might have to make one of these...

Charlie Schultz
03-04-2008, 10:12 AM
It is big, but it is light. There are slots in the middle dividers for a slide-in lid to capture all the pucks for storage too.